My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased a new Prestige with a 50" deck and a 27HP Kohler about a month ago (I have a few other threads about it)

When I ordered it, I had the mulching kit added to the order. The tractor arrived, but the mulching kit was back-ordered.

I have been mowing with it since it arrived and have used it at least 6 times or more to cut the grass.

This thing is just a grass eating beast. I have cut the grass relatively high a few times after a week long session of rain. By adjusting the deck to only cut the new growth, I have not had any clumping or build up of clippings on the lawn. In fact you can hardly even see the clippings and I have mowed the lawn in just about all conditions I will encounter here from a worst case standpoint.

My question is how much better is the mulch kit and do I really need it? Short of preventing side discharge, can it really be that much better?

A few pics of the tractor and its effects on the lawn at this thread http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=80439.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're not ending up with any amount of accumulated clippings, then I'd say you don't need it. If that's the case the only plus would be blocking the side discharge, like you already stated.

I just put the kit on my 54" deck and am very happy with it. No raking for me this year!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Also keep in mind, you must mow slower with the mulch kit to be effective...half normal speed...of course that's largely dependent on how fast you mow now really... ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had to cut it two times where it was wicked long and did not have to rake. Side discharge isn't a problem as I have it down to where I do not blow any clippings towards the flower beds.

I have a cyclone rake that in a worst case scenario I could use to vacuum up the yard if things get out of hand.

I may just take a wait and see approach before I dump the money on the mulching kit.

SR

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a set of Gator blades. I figured for 35 bucks for three blades it is worth trying out and can always use them for backup blades if I do not like the results.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
i had fairly poor results when i tried mulching.. had to cut the grass every 4-5 days and it clumped and clogged and did horrible..

good luck with the gators... i think they will do better than mulching...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also keep in mind, you must mow slower with the mulch kit to be effective...half normal speed...of course that's largely dependent on how fast you mow now really... ;)
yeah its because, A. requires a lot more engine hp to mow the same amount of grass and B. suction is reduced " a lot" usually so now you wont get as nice of a cut.

We had mulch kits on our Ferris machines before, i took all of them off. Mowing commercially it was way to hard to get a nice cut most times. Tall grass, your mowing at 1mph its so hard on the machine, wet grass, clumps galore.. hardly ever a "happy time" to use the kit.

I sometimes just use a block off plate at the end so were not shooting grass all over, but if your cutting nice now, leave it a lone, trust me, its hard to get a mower to the point of perfect harmony

·
Registered
311 Posts
i had fairly poor results when i tried mulching.. had to cut the grass every 4-5 days and it clumped and clogged and did horrible..

good luck with the gators... i think they will do better than mulching...
yeah... only time to "truely" mulch is when theres so little "DRY" grass to mow that you normally would see very few if any clippings at all anyway so not a lot of point to it.

think of this.. look at every development lawn that they let grow in the rain for 2 weeks, then the old fogey goes out and PUSH mows his lawn with the 21" junker mower, leaves rows of dead grass 20" apart the whole lawn lol, thats mulching for ya.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm betting a big variable here is how thick each of our lawns is. I imagine if you have a very dense lawn mulching will be much tougher, since there are more clippings per square foot of lawn, plus the clippings will not fall down between the blades of grass as well.

My lawn isn't super dense, but it's not sparse either. I've had fantastic success with the kit so far this year. But, I don't mow when the lawn is wet or damp.

One thing I found is that if you mow in rows and turn 180 degrees at the end of each row you have to give the mower a moment before backing up or else you will leave clippings on the lawn. It takes a little getting used to the kit, but I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a New Prestige with a 54in deck and the sales person talked me out of the mulching kit, (I owned a Toro Wheehorse with a 44in recycler deck & a Toro push mower with a recycler deck for 19 years) so I've never mowed with anything that discharged the grass... I'm glad he talked me out of it!!
This thing cuts better than anything I've ever owned & it throws the grass away from the tractor evenly, LOVE IT!!!:dancingpa

Enjoy yours!:trink39:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the Gator blades and had a chance to try them out twice.

So the cut is still the same great cut that I had before, but there is definitely a difference in the clippings coming out. They are much finer than before so I am getting more mulching effect from these blades than from the standard high lift OEM blades.

It also appears that I get some grass blow out to the front side of the deck as there are visibly more clippings laying on top of the mowing deck when I am finished. No big deal on this as I always blow off the tractor with a leaf blower before putting away.

I say the Gator blades are a good investment, half the cost of OEM blades with the added benefit of mulching things down a little more.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,553 Posts
Glad to hear that you like the Gators..:fing32:

Installed the Gator blades and had a chance to try them out twice.

So the cut is still the same great cut that I had before, but there is definitely a difference in the clippings coming out. They are much finer than before so I am getting more mulching effect from these blades than from the standard high lift OEM blades.

It also appears that I get some grass blow out to the front side of the deck as there are visibly more clippings laying on top of the mowing deck when I am finished. No big deal on this as I always blow off the tractor with a leaf blower before putting away.

I say the Gator blades are a good investment, half the cost of OEM blades with the added benefit of mulching things down a little more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts