My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought chains for the rear tires of my GT but do I need them for the front too? How do the front tires track when snow plowing? My gravel driveway goes down and then up with a turn in the middle.

Harris

·
Registered
125 Posts
do u have rear wheel weights? dose ur tractor under steer if ur lawn is wet? and what kind of front tires do u have and what size?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
What kind of tractor?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I dont have or need them, Only would use them if the front was light.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'd first try the tires unmodified. You might need nothing. :fing32: Every situation is different. Snow is deep, light, wet, dry, icy, blade is straight, angled...and so forth. You might try two light cuts instead of blasting a full width each time.

Here is a thread on wrapping the front wheels with motorcycle or bicycle chain.

Pg 4 shows bike chain on front tire
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=72227&page=4

pg2 at bottom shows tires studded with screws from the inside out.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=72227&page=2

Motorcycles racing on ice use screws from the outside. Someone pointed out it would lose some screws and the family car would find them. Very true, so studding from the inside makes better sense. If you need it at all.

·
Super Moderator
17,134 Posts
No you won't need chains on your Front tires:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Having handled snow with rubber tired loaders (2 and FWD), FEL/BH's, trucks and garden tractors with no front chains, I say you shouldn't need front chains for a gravel driveway. One small trick if your front wheels are not steering is to put more weight on them by lifting the plow slightly. Not enough to pass snow under the blade (or blower), but enough lift to put some of the blade assembly weight onto the front axle. Also, if you have the differential lock (if so equipped) engaged you won't steer as well in a tight turn...

In deep snow when you can't get that one extra pass without sliding off the snow on an angled blade... you have to resort to straight line pushing in a "herringbone pattern" with the blade set straight. Gosh, I'd love to see that much snow around here again!:)

·
Premium Member
9,956 Posts
My blower is very heavy and I found the chain loops on the front tires seemed to make a modest difference, enough to bother with it again this year.

·
22,781 Posts
Haven't had a need for chains on the front tires on any of my snow movers in 40 years of tractoring. Gilson 8/32 with snowblower, MF12H with snowblower, blade and FEL, MF1655 with snowblower and FEL and MF GC2310 with FEL and 4wd, all of which rarely lost steering control that could not be corrected easily with a different approach.

However, no hills to contend with either.

Bob :rauch10:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts