My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 (?) grease fittings are hard to get to on the 24G.

Amazon sent me one of their ad emails, and this kit was in it,

WOOOOOOOO,,,, I think I want one, $22 including shipping, everything in one box! NICE.

Am I crazy, or would that be handy when trying to get to the hard to reach fittings?

OR, am I just a tool hoarder? :dunno: Anything to make the 24G happy!! :fing32:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That's pretty nice! I like that. An even better upgrade would be a trigger rechargeable grease gun.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
I think you're probably a tool hoarder. But of course I could be wrong! You bring up a topic I have been meaning to ask about. When I was a 14 yr old kid working on a 500+ acre farm in the Finger Lakes Region of upstate NY, It was exciting to be assigned the task of sitting the tall Farmall for a day to harrow a large field. Seldom has someone so young driven so much.

Of course one of the responsibilities if given that task was to find and grease every fitting on the tractor. Mr. Hodges knew which ones were harder to find and more difficult to execute service on and would start with those during his inspection - better have them right if you wanted the seat time - there were others that wanted the assignment.

Anyway the grease gun they gave you worked! I have bought 3 so far trying to find one that really does work well. Sometimes it pumps the grease in and sometimes not. and I promise you this is on a properly open unclogged zerk. OK I bought one at Harbor Freight, but the other I bought at TSC! The one that seems the most consistent is the small one I bought at Advance Auto! Probably I am missing something.

So where did you all procure your grease guns? And do they always work?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I last bought a grease gun (actually two of them!!) 15 years ago, made in the USA!! WOOT!! :fing32:

Nobody can even borrow those puppies!! They are perfect! They are Alemite.

I do not know if they are even still available.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
I just recently ordered a Lincoln as my current grease gun blew out a rear seal and is proving to just be a PITA to replace those smaller cartridges (too much grease loss). The Lincoln is not made here anymore (India I believe), but should still be a good gun. I'll report back in a couple days and let you know.

Like Harrison Ford, a long whip is the only attachment I've ever needed. Most kits come with a rigid extension, which promptly hits the trash can at my house.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I have two conventional lever guns, one with the rigid extension, and one with a long flex hose. I find that I prefer the rigid one in most cases, as I can get at the fittings and still have two hands free to run the gun. The flex hose often didn't want to stay on and so seemed to need a third hand. That said, while I don't have one currently, I have used a couple of those greasing accessories in the past on some machinery. If you think it would help you access those fittings, by all means make the investment. $22 isn't much to invest even if it turns out to not work well.

As to your last question, you probably are a tool hoarder. I should know, as I'm one, too! I'm going to look this up on Amazon right now.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have two Lincoln pistol grips /w whips, both of which have been great for the last 5+ years that I've owned them. I also have a 10+ year old NAPA gun with a 6" rigid extension and it's still going strong too. Before the Lincolns I had a Advance Auto pistol grip gun and I was forever having to re-prime it every time I needed to use it. I chucked it and bought the Lincoln and never looked back.

·
4,156 Posts
......... a Advance Auto pistol grip gun and I was forever having to re-prime it every time I needed to use it.
re-primed it? Perhaps that is what I am missing? How do you prime it?

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
The Lincoln grease gun arrived today. Of course, I had to run down to the auto parts store to get a couple of the 14 oz. cartridges and test it out. Seems well-made. Came with a short rigid extension, whip (made in Germany) and
instruction booklet. Had a little difficulty getting it to prime at first. But eventually, after re-reading the instructions a couple times (and following them), it primed just fine. The bleed valve was also helpful in that regard. It was a very snug fit on the grease fittings at first. Greased (3) mower decks and some misc. fittings on the riders. Works great. Five stars.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370653181&sr=8-1&keywords=Lincoln+grease+gun[/ame]

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
This is the one I got. I love it.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
We have a couple with the battery at work and they sure are nice. If they hold up to crews, you should have no issues at home!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Compressed air is one of those things that the more it is used the more it is appreciated. Then come the air tools. Nothing beats a good Ingersoll impact for breaking fasteners loose. Even the inexpensive 231 1/2" impact rocks.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
re-primed it? Perhaps that is what I am missing? How do you prime it?
Typically I would have to unscrew the body enough to allow some air into the tube to allow it to pick up the grease and push it through the whip. Almost like a vacuum issue, but it occurred every time between uses, maybe a few days at most.

·
4,156 Posts
Typically I would have to unscrew the body enough to allow some air into the tube to allow it to pick up the grease and push it through the whip. Almost like a vacuum issue, but it occurred every time between uses, maybe a few days at most.

That may be why all of mine don't seem to work?

·
500 posts and climbing
543 Posts
I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one that suffers from this BS.
I truly was beginning to believe that I was not doing something right.
The only one that has ever worked is a fifty year old pump that hangs from the ceiling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts