My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
was born to pimp tractors
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 briggs and stratton 16HP opposed twin horizontal shaft engine (Model #: 401417, Type #: 0127-01, and Code #:77122112). the need to replace the points magneto with a Magnatron magneto because the points are burnt beyond repair and briggs no longer makes a replacement points assimably. I need to know... Does the engine use the same flywheel for both points and Magnatron ignition? Also it looks like the flywheel that's on the engine now is a replacement so if there are different flywheels, how do I tell them apart?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,673 Posts
The closest I came up with is Briggs Part #394891, and you should be able to use the existing fly wheel.

I would wait for Red or others to chime in though, as I am not 100% sure about this.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Stock flywheel should be fine, the magnetron ignition controls the spark triggering whereas before it relied on the points.

·
was born to pimp tractors
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, :thanku: guys. Also Larry, that's the same part number I found. So I'm going to call my local repair shop tommarrow and give them that part number, just to make sure it's a Magnatron magneto and not some weird points magneto. It would just be my luck that I'd order it and it would wind up being the wrong part.

·
{This Space Available}
1,549 Posts
394891 is the solid state complete unit.
394988 is the raw magneto which you probably have. Rather than spending $50+ on a new magneto, you could add a magnetron unit to your existing magneto. $20 delivered on eBay.

Agree on flywheel...there are basically only 2: small alternator magnets and large magnets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts