My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if I'm really getting bonkers. I have a 60" Toro ZTR and find myself mowing with two or three of my Gravely's although I hate getting the grass stains on them. I think I might have a new upper body exercise program. Mow 4 acres with lots of trees and other opstacles using an old walkbehind with duals and a regular sulky.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
I have a Simplicity 1844 that I bought in 2004. It has 98.5 hours on it. Two summers after I bought it, I discovered Gravelys. At first, I was mowing with a Comm 12 with a 50", no sulky. It was like weight lifting and aerobic at the same time. Later, I moved to a 5665 with a 50" and a steering brake. At least it's still aerobic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, they'll definatly give you an exercise...The first time I cut my front lawn with mine I probably sweated a 5 gallon bucket full. They sure do a good job, though. Especially with the bush hog.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
What I'm curious about is how many of you are like me and actually don't own a push mower anymore.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Count me in on the no push mower crowd. I don't have a use for one with the Model C.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Does a Stringtrim 622 count as a push mower? :D And my ZTRs are Gravelys. A PM 20-G will give your arms a real workout even though you are riding.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I'm curious about is how many of you are like me and actually don't own a push mower anymore.
I don't own one. Ever since I quite using the regular 2 wheel tractor. When I bought a 2 wheel Gravely back in 1972 I could get under bushes, low trees etc. With the modern ZTR's most have the mower toward the front and unless you have real tight spots can get close so I don't use them.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
I keep one at my house and one at the rental just because, one a John Deere and one Snapper, both self propelled. There are some places I end up that is nice to have one. You can't pick up and throw a Gravely in the back of the truck by yourself....

·
Premium Member
5,150 Posts
I had a series of hondas and mtds. They all died. A few years ago I bought my first gravely instead of another in that series, and haven't bothered with those kind of things since.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
I used to have an old Briggs push mower (side discharge) for getting under trees close on the top of the retaining wall. Places where the rider could not go. But the C8 seems to do everything the push mower could do. I've been running the 30" bushhog. No complaints about the cut. Maybe not quite as close, but good enough.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I have a Simplicity 1844 that I bought in 2004. It has 98.5 hours on it. Two summers after I bought it, I discovered Gravelys. At first, I was mowing with a Comm 12 with a 50", no sulky. It was like weight lifting and aerobic at the same time. Later, I moved to a 5665 with a 50" and a steering brake. At least it's still aerobic.
You've only had Gravelys since '06? I had you pegged for a long-time user, possibly a former dealer. You sure know a lot for a n00b!

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I have a Husq self-propelled which never got pulled out once I got my 60" deck going this year. I have since started using it to get the edges with (those big guage wheels on the Gravely deck are a bit too cumbersome to get up close with).

So nowadays, I zip around the perimiter of the house once with the Husq (takes all of 90 seconds), then ride the rest. I expect to use it to bag after I de-thatch in the Spring.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Does a Stringtrim 622 count as a push mower? :D And my ZTRs are Gravelys. A PM 20-G will give your arms a real workout even though you are riding.
I need a trimmer for the tight spots [otherwise I have to spray with Round-Up].

What's been your experience with the 622?

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
You've only had Gravelys since '06? I had you pegged for a long-time user, possibly a former dealer. You sure know a lot for a n00b!
Actually, It was 2005 when I started. I guess maybe I've gotten carried away with Gravelys. After I bought my first one, I found oldgravelys.net, then proceeded to read just about every manual on the site. Plus, I like taking stuff apart and putting it back together to see how it works. Gravelys are cheaper than cars and useful.

I realized at one point that I was spending a fortune on eBay so I started advertising that I would haul off old Gravelys and attachments for free. I've been amazed at how many there are out there. I've hauled home over 60 tractors and passed on almost as many. I can't guess how many attachments.

I have to be careful, I don't want this to turn into a "problem".

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
I need a trimmer for the tight spots [otherwise I have to spray with Round-Up].

What's been your experience with the 622?
Been pushing it all over our 3 acres here. It's going north this trip. Nice little unit for what I paid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts