My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a mail jeep (Jeep DJ5). The price seems right and it seems to be in pretty good shape. I'll want to convert it to left hand drive, simply because I'm used to driving on that side. Then I'll paint it (probably with truck bed liner) and use it.

Any advice appreciated.

I understand that the left hand drive can be taken out of almost any CJ5 and beyond that, I think it would just be fun. I'm giving my son my wife's car, letting her drive the pickup and I'll drive the DJ.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think I would hold out for CJ5. You won't have to worry about converting to left hand drive and you'll have four wheel drive too. I think a little patience will turn up a pretty good CJ for not too much money and if and when it comes time for resale you'll have a much easier time unloading a CJ. Just my 2cents

·
Super Moderator
32,220 Posts
You know they are just two wheel drive right?? Other then that Im sure its dooable without to much work. I have heard of guys using the DJ frames in there CJ rock buggys. I guess there were electric ones that had real beefy frames under them. If its nice and solid, and you want to convert, I would be searching for a old rusted out CJ as a doner. At least here in NY you see rotted CJ that run and drive well around pretty often. A doner truck will give you everything you need.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think can pick up the mail jeep for less than a thousand dollars, in decent running condition. I don't think I could come close to that with a CJ. I'm not looking for a 4wd, my YJ got lousy mileage, this seems to get pretty good mileage.

·
Super Moderator
32,220 Posts
I think can pick up the mail jeep for less than a thousand dollars, in decent running condition. I don't think I could come close to that with a CJ. I'm not looking for a 4wd, my YJ got lousy mileage, this seems to get pretty good mileage.
I say go for it. it would be a fun little buggy. Not sure if I would want to go on long highway trips...... but would be a cool buzz around town ride.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just wanting it for driving back and forth to work. I might play with it a little on the farm roads, but they don't need 4wd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts