My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I just got done mounting eight 4 ply Carlisle Power Trac tires on four Troy Bilt Horse Tillers. I did the tires right on the tiller with three tire spoons and a Bead Buster XB450. The only reason to pull the rims is to clean them up.
I tipped the tillers over on their sides on some cardboard and went to work. You have the mass and stability of the tiller to hold it in place. Takes around 15 minutes a tire.
I had the oil drained from the transmission and engine and the fuel tanks were empty. Draining them out is a small price compared to the obnoxiousness of finding a way to hold the tiny 8" wheel to something with enough mass to easily mount them.

1/2 teaspoon of DAWN dish soap in an empty windex bottle of water works reasonably well as tire lube or just get some RuGlyde from NAPA.
The DR-Roc motorcycle tire spoon kit is inexpensive and the spoons work quite well on outdoor equipment tires. I've mounted 4 ply ATV tires with them. I have prybars for bigger tires but these spoons work well for even 13" car tires
The Bead Buster XB450 is invaluable for outdoor equipment tires. I have used it on ATV tires and even to put tubes in 15" hay wagon tires. If you're handy you could probably make one.
A set of vise grips with a chunk of inner tube helps with mounting and dismounting stubborn tires that want to spin on the wheel rather than slip over the rim.

This guy does it without even tipping the tiller over. Go to about 13.15 minutes to see what I'm talking about.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts