My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

In addition to being new here, my second post is a request for information.

Could anyone supply me with the following information about the cylinder for a 44X series tractor. I need the external size of the lower part (the bore)of the cylinder(the area the piston goes down into), the length of the piston (or rod if you will) retracted and then extended, the diameter of the cylinder and piston.

Using the plans from the yahoo site and past threads here I am building my own three point hitches for each of my tractors. I already have the back plate bent and ready and have a person to laser cut the rest of my parts. Once I get the measurements from you kind people I can determine if I have a cylinder that will work or if I can adapt a lower lift cylinder to work by redoing the geometry. Once I get the sample build done I going to do one for each of my tractors. Those being a 220, a 224 and a 446.
I have a line on two additional tractors that need motors, both 448's with lots of accessories.
Long range goals are to take one an build a 648 type tractor out of one, with a small diesel in it and no belt pto. I'll set the other up with a cab for just snow work.

Thanks for letting me ramble,

Mike

ETA, yes I'll be taking photos of each step. MK

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Mike,

:MTF_wel2: Sounds like you've got a good start on a collection and are already fully infected with the Case disease.

The 3 pt cylinder is (from memory) 3" bore and 6" stroke but I doubt you'll find one that matches the OEM length as I have been on the lookout for such a cylinder for several years. The mount pin for most cylinder bodies is attached to the bottom of the cylinder and that makes the overall length longer--the OEM cylinder has a mounting hole drilled through the very end of the cylinder so as to minimize its length. I have a source for a 3x6 welded cylinder that is approximately 1.5" longer than the OEM and should work if you simply lower the mounting point on the hitch. If interested call Ted at 414-507-4334 for more information and price.

Keep in mind that the attachment lift cylinder is a smaller diameter and will not have nearly the same lifting power which is already limited by the relatively low relief setting on the attachment lift circuit.

I have several tractors with both 3 pt and sleeve hitches and, since you plan on building a fleet, I think they both have advantages so I would recommend have some of each type. The sleeve hitches are very easy to fabricate and much less expensive in time and materials.

Finally, we don't permit rambling on this site so restrain yourself in the future.:Stop:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Ramblin' Man,
If you intend to put hitches on the 200's you have, then design them to mount 4" higher than they do on the 400's to compensate for the difference in ground clearance. If you don't do that, then you will lose 4" of lift travel on all attachments.

As for the "600 project", you will have your work cut out for you, big-time. Prior to going down that road, you need to spend a lot of time studying and understanding just how vastly different a 600 is from any 400 ever built. In the long run, I think that you will find it cheaper to just find a 600 and restore it. When you're done, you will have something that everyone will recognize as having significant value. Homebuilt machines always come with a big question mark regarding how good the skills of the constructor were and secondly, "where will I get parts for this baby when I need them?"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts