My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Dixon ZTR 4423 here in my shop that is sluggish on the left side drive. The customer stated he had a broken sprocket on the left side and replaced it. Since then the left side appears slower to move forward than the right side. I've tried adjusting the transmission per the factory manual with no success. Finally decided to pull the transmission out of the machine---boy, what a job!!! Looks like the lower cone is somewhat more worn than the upper. Maybe the problem--although he said it worked "fine" before the sprocket broke.

Also, the smaller drive chains that go from the transmission to the wheel drive sprockets appear to be loose--much more on the left than right. And, to top it all off, there's no adjustment for the chains. This machine was well taken care of and I'd expect something like this in a well worn unit. Anyone out there with any experience on these?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,162 Posts
As far as I know, I am the only one offering advice on Dixon Cone Drives on the 4 forums I monitor. If you contact me at my address below, I may be able to help. Not really a good idea to take on a custom repair job on a drive system without having knowledge of how they work.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walt:

I've been working on transmissions, hydros, varidrive systems, and associated outdoor power equipment for almost 40 years. To say that I don't know what I am doing is offensive--besides, I'm doing this as a favor for a good friend. I'm simply putting this out there as there aren't many resources out there and someone may have stumbled upon a helpful tip or may have seen something I haven't. I'm always willing to assist in any way I can with any project if someone's seeking help--not to criticize others.

Tom

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,162 Posts
Walt:

I've been working on transmissions, hydros, varidrive systems, and associated outdoor power equipment for almost 40 years. To say that I don't know what I am doing is offensive--besides, I'm doing this as a favor for a good friend. I'm simply putting this out there as there aren't many resources out there and someone may have stumbled upon a helpful tip or may have seen something I haven't. I'm always willing to assist in any way I can with any project if someone's seeking help--not to criticize others.

Tom
So if you are well versed on working on Dixon Cone Drive Transaxles, you do not need my help. By the way, I could have told you what much of the problem is.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I was feeling ornery, I might say "A man is asking the forums for help, If you could assist with the problem then you should, If you can only chide him for taking on the job, perhaps you could post in a different thread?"

Sorry I cannot assist, Good Luck.

(perhaps you caught Walt on a bad, day, he is very helpful on these forums, if you read his posts.....)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Walt really is this guys only hope here. No one else ever posts about those old Dixon cone drives, (Put out in the beginning of the end for Dixon", the switch to Hydros was too late to get the market back for them.)

I am certain Walt has his reasons though.

Remember we only see what is public!

So,.. um,... I will retract my ornery statement earlier.
Mechanical luck vibes being sent out to all.
(it'll take more than luck for some problems, but hey, It couldn't hurt right?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All:
As has always been my practice on blogs and forums, it has been my philosophy
To only engage in those posts where I could contribute in a positive manner.
If this guy truly had a bad day then be wise enough to refrain from any response
Discretion is always the better part of valor. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive here, but given his responses to me I do not want his help. If this is the way that questions are allowed to be managed, then I want no parts of the forum. I emailed the web master to remove me if this is the case. I hope no one else takes offense, but I'm angry over this

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Kinda sounds like the sprocket has one tooth less on one side. You said it was replaced....

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Kinda sounds to me like two different sets of feathers got ruffled. Maybe the two parties should do some pm's to each other and see if they can start out on the right foot.
I agree w/ Kevin, maybe some tooth counting would find the problem.
JMHO,
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts