My Tractor Forum banner

Ditch/Hillside Trimmer project

4604 Views 151 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  PA318Guy
Started working on this to mount on the front of my X728. it will have a battery powered string trimmer motor and spool at the head but the electric actuators will be run from the tractor electric.

Triangle Composite material Parallel Pattern Metal
101 - 120 of 152 Posts
That kind of stuff takes more than a $75 HF drill press that struggles with 1/2" holes.
I agree, but I've been watching CL and eBay for a used quality one close to me (don't want to have to transport too far) and haven't really found anything at a reasonable price.
That kind of stuff takes more than a $75 HF drill press that struggles with 1/2" holes.
Yes when the cost of fuel exceeds the cost of the item it better be really special.
Warning, if you hang a goat off your tractor, you better upgrade the actuators so you can keep the boom laid way out. If the goat can reach plastic on your tractor it will be gone. Seat, fenders, wires, fuel cap, hood goats don't care.
After watching Jody's goats it was almost like they knew what cost the most, because that is what they wanted to eat first. When she saw her side by side, I thought we might have goat steaks for lunch the next day, but she did calm down till they started on the Kubota.
And they will chew on all those things and not touch a big clump of nice green grass.
  • Haha
Reactions: PA318Guy
Wonder if they have a color preference. That piece of green in the back yard may serve a purpose yet.
I let a neighbor put his mule in my back pasture last summer, because the drought here made if tough to find enough to feed the beast.
Now that there has been rain, he thanked me and took the mule back to his place.
The mule ate most everything (which is good) but man, did he leave a lot of manure.

I'm hesitant to take the mower out there now...

That's a real working mule, pulls a plow and a cart. And it looks to me like the mule likes working for his boss.

Regarding the project; I think the string system solves most of the problems, but it will be difficult to get the string to extend as it wears..
Consider a longer string (and correspondingly lower rpm) than a handheld strimmer.
That is sort of why I'm leaning towards using something like these on the cutting head. Even if I have to change them each time I mow (4 - 5 times a year) that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Then I don't have to "bump" it to get line to extend.

Toy Plastic Auto part Composite material Font
I let a neighbor put his mule in my back pasture last summer, because the drought here made if tough to find enough to feed the beast.
Now that there has been rain, he thanked me and took the mule back to his place.
The mule ate most everything (which is good) but man, did he leave a lot of manure.

I'm hesitant to take the mower out there now...

That's a real working mule, pulls a plow and a cart. And it looks to me like the mule likes working for his boss.

Regarding the project; I think the string system solves most of the problems, but it will be difficult to get the string to extend as it wears..
Consider a longer string (and correspondingly lower rpm) than a handheld strimmer.
Reactions: Wladson
If it had decent reach that would be a good mower, but I don't have rear PTO.
good approach

Reactions: Wladson
So why do you not think the front PTO will work?
If it had decent reach that would be a good mower, but I don't have rear PTO.
That would have to be redesigned to be powered from the back and sit out front. Not saying it wouldn't work but it's designed to be on the rear.
So why do you not think the front PTO will work?
So a bit more plasma cutting today, I cut out the top plate for the implement hitch. Then I cleaned up the edges that were cut so that I can start to assemble the hitch. Still need to get a few things but I have most of the basic design figured out.

Green Automotive tire Gas Fender Tool
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Tool Bumper
So today was cutting and fitting the pieces that make up the platform that the actuator and first stage of the boom will be mounted on: (All 1/4" steel, not going to worry about this lasting. Worst case I can transform this into a winch platform.

Wood Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Composite material
Wood Bumper Composite material Gas Automotive exterior
Reactions: MiniHomesteader
Tim - Wondering if you have a final design in mind to see where you are going? CAD model?
So today was cutting and fitting the pieces that make up the platform that the actuator and first stage of the boom will be mounted on: (All 1/4" steel, not going to worry about this lasting. Worst case I can transform this into a winch platform.

View attachment 2580863 View attachment 2580864
Bob, did it on the first post but this is the overall concept:

Triangle Composite material Parallel Pattern Metal

This is from Wings 3D and doesn't allow for dimensioning so it is just a visualization of the concept, can't be sent for machining.
It looked like a good concept from the beginning., but it's nice to see that kind of progress...you must have a great feeling of satisfaction...good work 👍 ...It must be really nice to have the shop set up to do that kind of work in comfort!
Thanks Mark. Still a lot to do yet, but yes nice to be fairly comfortable (I keep it about 55°) in the workshop, I only work a few hours in a day on it. It doesn't have to be ready for quite a while so I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. The plasma cutter sure helps to make things go quick on the thick steel.
Reactions: MARK (LI)
I have used that style head on my string trimmer for a few years now. It works ok if your not hitting things like rocks, chain link, saplings trees, concrete and exposed rebar.
The center actually fell out of the first one.
The biggest problem I have with them is the mounting. But that may just be the trimmer.
That is sort of why I'm leaning towards using something like these on the cutting head. Even if I have to change them each time I mow (4 - 5 times a year) that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. Then I don't have to "bump" it to get line to extend.

View attachment 2580391
The only thing close to those would be the concrete casement for the drains, so just one spot to be careful of obstacles.
I have used that style head on my string trimmer for a few years now. It works ok if your not hitting things like rocks, chain link, saplings trees, concrete and exposed rebar.
The center actually fell out of the first one.
The biggest problem I have with them is the mounting. But that may just be the trimmer.
Reactions: MARK (LI)
I'm glad to see planning is giving way to real construction!
Reactions: MiniHomesteader
101 - 120 of 152 Posts