My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck......keep us posted with the progress...any thoughts of running it off 12V from the tractor's electrical system?
Most of the motors on string trimmers now are running above 12v and I don't want to get into a lot of complicated step up/down type electronics.

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim, this may give you some ideas. It runs off the battery. Just make a 6 foot arm for it.

Thanks but that is way heavier than I want to try to put on an arm that needs to be made out of easily accessible materials.

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim...would 3/4 inch EMT work for your idea?...Easily available and to work with...or are you thinking more of a square tube frame?
Looking at round tube aluminum initially, better side to side and up/down strength. I did consider square tube and may still have to give it a go, but I had the round aluminum on hand.

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most sicklebars won't depress steep enough for my banks. Pretty sure they are about 60° and most sickle bar mowers can do only 45° depressed. Plus, I just want to see if I can make this. I have the three actuators already, the relays and switches as well.

· Registered
2,139 Posts
I am toying with an idea along those lines myself. I have several thousand feet of creek and road bank to cut on my property that are weed eater terrain, but I do have a rather large Husquvarna 235R actually brush cutter I am now using.

My idea that I keep bouncing around in my head would use part of a walk behind string trimmer,

DR Power has a mower that uses about the same mow ball head, and they both take large string, so it should last for a while.

Mount that on the end of a boom, sort of like an excavator boom with a hydraulic motor for power to turn the trimmer.
Probably a hydraulic cylinder to adjust the mow ball angle.
Another cylinder to extend the stick.
And a third cylinder to raise and lower the boom.

Given how much the creek bank drops and how far out the toe of that slope is, I am looking for about 12 feet of reach, and able to mow 8 or 10 feet up or down from where the tractor is running.

I know it will not be cheap, but if I can eliminate 20 hours of weed eater work every week or two, it will be worth it.

Given how far I am trying to reach, I am leaning toward 2x2 square tubing with a 1/4" wall thickness for the boom.
The Mahindra tractor my son bought this summer would be a perfect base vehicle to mount it on, heavy enough to lay it out there 12 feet without getting tipsy sideways.

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am toying with an idea along those lines myself. I have several thousand feet of creek and road bank to cut on my property that are weed eater terrain, but I do have a rather large Husquvarna 235R actually brush cutter I am now using.

My idea that I keep bouncing around in my head would use part of a walk behind string trimmer,

DR Power has a mower that uses about the same mow ball head, and they both take large string, so it should last for a while.

Mount that on the end of a boom, sort of like an excavator boom with a hydraulic motor for power to turn the trimmer.
Probably a hydraulic cylinder to adjust the mow ball angle.
Another cylinder to extend the stick.
And a third cylinder to raise and lower the boom.

Given how much the creek bank drops and how far out the toe of that slope is, I am looking for about 12 feet of reach, and able to mow 8 or 10 feet up or down from where the tractor is running.

I know it will not be cheap, but if I can eliminate 20 hours of weed eater work every week or two, it will be worth it.

Given how far I am trying to reach, I am leaning toward 2x2 square tubing with a 1/4" wall thickness for the boom.
The Mahindra tractor my son bought this summer would be a perfect base vehicle to mount it on, heavy enough to lay it out there 12 feet without getting tipsy sideways.
I saw one that was very heavy duty like that in another thread somewhere. If I run across it I will PM it to you. But this build is to use as much off the shelf materials as I can get by with. I could weld up a "custom" arm pretty quick but looking to provide plans and parts list so that others can do a light weight trimmer like this without much need of specialized equipment.

· Registered
2,139 Posts
I have the arm drawn up in AutoCAD and the cylinder lengths are about worked out.
I am trying to locate a hydraulic motor that can give me the rotational speed I need that I can afford.
I have checked out a couple of those push string trimmers, but they all have about a 6 HP motor that spins the mow ball at 3500 to 4000 RPM.
That much power at that speed, not a cheap hydraulic motor.
I would almost mount the motor at the end of the boom, but that is a lot of weight to hang out there 12 feet and I see engine oil being a problem with the angles the motor will probably see.

· Super Moderator
47,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
12 feet out from the tractor, a rock, tree root, dirt pile, stump catches the mow head.
Over build the first time instead of rebuild the second time.

Besides I already have the 2x2x.25 tubing and some of the cylinders.
Valves, motor, and hoses is about all I have to buy.
And I need to make a hydraulic tank, but I have a bunch of aluminum deck plate that I just need to weld up into a tank.
And I need to figure out if the pump I have is going to give me enough flow to run the motor, if not I need a bigger pump.
And probably going to have to build an oil cooler.
I prefer to prototype build to see what will/won't work. I won't be running it along the ditch, I will mow down and back up the opposite side is the plan so that I can see any obstacles in it's path.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts