My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While almost everything in yard care, even fall leaf clean up, I find very satisfying, one thing comes to mind that is a real fly in the ointment.

Poplar tree fuzz. My yard is bordered by a dozen Poplars, each at least 24 inches in diameter. From June 1 to June 30 each year, they put out tons of fuzz that drifts like snow in every corner of the yard, drive, and even into the garage. On calm days, my yard looks to be covered by snow and it takes daily vacuum cleaning of the outdoor AC unit, as well as tractor air cleaner...cleaning.:tango_face_sad: If they didn't contribute significant value to the yard, and provide almost full shade, they'd have come down years ago.

This is the only thing I can think of that is distasteful in my yard care work. Anyone have other pet peeves you'd like to off load?

·
5,489 Posts
We have it here and since I live next to a forest reserve area with loads of various trees my place gets hit with the blizzard of fuzz. I have just learned to live with it as it provides a interesting mess. I have found the fuzz even in the house in my computer room so it is what it is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yepers, here in eastern Washington, we now in many places have Russian Olive tree forrest’s. The smell at times is truly repulsive, and those, who like my wife, that have allergies experience various reactions. None of which are good as you can guess. In the last 10 years, we’ve had 2 major fires in those forests. The property owners AND neighboring residents asked the fire fighters to “LET THOSE #*#$%@^* (Bleeping) BURN”, but were told they were required by law to put the fire out. AND, to add to the stupidity, Russian Olive trees are advertised for sale at many businesses. Some people never get out of controlled environments, house to sealed car, from car into environmentally controlled building and lunch in a nearby environmentally controlled eating establishment. Sadly, a lot of them are the elected officials who write the regulations that limit fire fighting options, not knowing the consequences of those regulations. Oh well, at my age, I only have to feel sorry for people with allergies for a rather limited time.

·
close enuff works for me
2,924 Posts
Had a problem at work with air conditioners plugged with cottonwood fuzz. Bought a large piece of household window screen material and wrapped it around the air conditioner. Was easy to remove fuzz with a glove rubbing over the screen. Before we needed a power washer blasting from the inside to the outside to clean the metal grids on the air conditioners.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Mowing yards with dog poop, particularly where the owner doesn't put much effort into cleaning up after the dog.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
IKWYM about the cotton. Parts of my yard turn white as if it snowed and I run around with my sweeper trying to pick it up. I did say "trying" as it is so fluffy that it won't stay in hopper. It's times like this I wish I had a yard vac or a decent bagging mower. Sometimes, I will mow first to mix it up with grass clippings so it can be swept up.

My tractor has an oil leak so the underside is wet with oil and the cotton sticks to it like baby poop to a mohair blanket. I had to take the pressure washer to it once already and will need to again. I really should pull the motor and fix the leak before it catches on fire but with having to mow every other day since the grass is growing so fast, it will just have to wait. If it burned, I'd have a good excuse to go buy a new one. LOL

As for the A/C unit, it still has the cover on and won't get uncovered until the cotton abates. We also hold off putting up the window screens to keep them from getting full of cotton so between no screens and no A/C, it can get a tad warm in the house.

I trained my dog to poop in the bush so the poop only becomes a problem if I am stomping around in the bush and step in some.

·
Blank Space
2,971 Posts
The single most distasteful thing about mowing is that you have to keep doing it. The stuff don't stay mowed.

With all the GMO stuff infesting foods, why can't they engineer grass to grow to 2 inches or so and stop?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The single most distasteful thing about mowing is that you have to keep doing it. The stuff don't stay mowed.

With all the GMO stuff infesting foods, why can't they engineer grass to grow to 2 inches or so and stop?
:ditto: :thThumbsU

Also neighbors who mow their lawn once a month whether it needs it or not! :tango_face_plain:

·
Registered
400 Posts
One 80' Cottonwood tree in my backyard. I clear the sidescreens on the 455 every 5 minutes right now. Air conditioner condensers? Covered. Pool Filter? Full.
Wow. Amazing. I hope you wear a respirator! How long does the cottonwood fuzz last?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I planted lots of white pine trees when I bought this place 40 years ago. They were pencil sized, 8ft apart (I know...too close) but they're healthy and large. Lots of needles so less grass to mow especially along road. No ditch to mow.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Rocks. In my part of Arkansas the ratio of rocks to dirt is 7:1. If you dig a post hole you don't have enough dirt to put around the post after you put it in the hole--not kidding. Makes keeping blades sharp very difficult.

Dad came to visit from SC, asked "Why are there all these rocks lying on top of the ground?" Errr, that IS the ground here dad.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rocks. In my part of Arkansas the ratio of rocks to dirt is 7:1. If you dig a post hole you don't have enough dirt to put around the post after you put it in the hole--not kidding. Makes keeping blades sharp very difficult.

Dad came to visit from SC, asked "Why are there all these rocks lying on top of the ground?" Errr, that IS the ground here dad.
I grew up 14 miles from here. We had rocks like that so I understand. There is a quarry that opened a couple miles from there when I was a kid, and that rock vein is coming towards there. Now it's about 1/4m. away.
I live in the next county over and rarely see a rock when digging. My spring and creek are on a rock bed.

·
Super Moderator
13,182 Posts
Weed whacking... Mowing, edging, digging, yada yada... Love the feeling of accomplishment... Weed whacking I just hate it.....

Astro turf?? They have some really good stuff on the market now.

·
Enginerd - DieselDork
766 Posts
Wow. Amazing. I hope you wear a respirator! How long does the cottonwood fuzz last?

It's just about done. lasts a couple of weeks. honestly, you don't really need a respirator. Most of the buildup is coming from blowout on the left front of the deck. So, the little seeds are already laying on the ground, I come by and kick them up, they blowout the front of the deck and directly onto the sidescreens.

This year the AC and pool filter aren't *quite* as bad because the weather's been cooler, so we haven't been using each as much. But still... not awesome.

·
Registered
400 Posts
They're beautiful if it's anything like this from Wikipedia. I could just picture my lungs looking like your lawn!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts