My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a honda HT3813 from my dad about 6 years ago. He bought it around 1987. I have been mowing my lawn without an issue up till about a month ago. It started acting a bit funny and I stopped to check things out. Turns out the bearings for one of the tensioner pullies went bad and unfortunately ruined the tensioner arm.

I have been trying to find a replacement for quite a few weeks with no success as these parts are discontinued.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had an old one laying around that could be salvaged.

As stated in another thread, it stinks having a good running mower down because of a 40 dollar part.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't know what the tensioner arm looks like on the HT3813 but if it is anything like my HT4514 it should be repairable. The bearing in the pulley looks like it will not come out but it will if you use a drill to drill out the spot welds. I had to replace the bearing on my tensioner arm but did this before I joined MTF so no pictures. But here is a thread where I replaced the bearings in the mule drive pulley and it was done the same way.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=84257

If the tensioner arm is not to beat up, it should be rebuildable. It really stinks that Honda stopped supporting these tractors making parts hard to find.

Welcome to MTF. :trink39:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the really late reply, had to go out of town for a while.

The shaft was completely wore through, meaning the bearing was gone for a while :blush:. I should know better.

I ended up having a guy build me a new part. A friend of my fathers owns a machine shop so he is making the new tensioner arm for me. I can still get new pullies. The damaged pully is beyond repair if I want it to be true. The center is completely missing when it fell off the momentum of the mower blades launched it somewhere into my back 40 achers. LOL

Thanks for the reply I plan to be more active but really won't be able to answer too many questions. I am a computer programmer not a mechanic. But I do like to turn wrenches now and then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts