My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went to the Rogers flea market Friday...
A couple were attempting to sell a Snapper Hi-Vac...
The recoil wouldn't rewind properly so...
The guy was tipping the mower up on its side and turning the blade to rewind the starter!
I saw it and couldn't believe it. I stepped in and disconnected the spark plug lead.
I think they thought I was a PITA.
It started on the very next try.
I'm sure glad we didn't have to watch a traumatic amputation.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Geez, that could have been nasty!

·
Registered
154 Posts
In the volunteer fire service you'd be the safety officer. The boys will think you're a PITA, the real men will thank you.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
"sigh" inteligence is a thing of the past like 2 cycle lawnboys...its scares me that people just dont think of how somthing "could" happen ahead of time.smooth move jasonmk.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I'm sure glad we didn't have to watch a traumatic amputation
yeah but think of the deal you would have gotten on the mower! once it was contaminated with 'medical waste' it would cost a mint to throw it away so you could have gotten it for the asking. real bonus if buddies gold ring fetched up in the bagger.

Seriously though good on ya for being a citizen and protecting those who can't (or wont) look out for themselves.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
****! if you werent there that ol boy would've lost some meat for sure

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Do you actually think the engine would start but turning the blade...
I've worked in engines all my life and the only way I would say that would be possible would be with the old Wisconsin engines with the magneto that could snap a spark... Even then the chance would be less than playing the lottery... Look how fast and hard you need to spinn a prop on an airplane to get it to start and it has spark all the time...
I would say no way no how... I would not unhook the wire ...
Just my $00.02

Remember the old windup starters on the push mowers ...
They dint work very well because they did not turn the engine fast enough to start it...

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Do you actually think the engine would start but turning the blade...
I've worked in engines all my life and the only way I would say that would be possible would be with the old Wisconsin engines with the magneto that could snap a spark... Even then the chance would be less than playing the lottery... Look how fast and hard you need to spinn a prop on an airplane to get it to start and it has spark all the time...
Just my $00.02

They dint work very well because they did not turn the engine fast enough to start it...
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:
Besides, If he was rewinding the recoil he was turning the engine backwards.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Just a kickback without starting could do plenty of damage. Why not do the sure, safe thing and take the wire off?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Years ago when I worked for Malvese Tractor on LI I was their Ditch Witch salesman. I was showing a customer an M422 trencher in the warehouse powered by an AGND Wisconsin. His son insisted on trying to turn the engine with the rope pulley. I cautioned him against that, told him the engine could start that way. He laughed in disbelief. I closed the choke and spun it one time and it started- you should've seen the look on his face after that! It may be true that later engines with electronic ignition would be difficult to start by turning the blade, but I remember the early solid state Lawnboys, you just had to rock the magnets past the coil and you had a good spark.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,077 Posts
"Do you actually think the engine would start but turning the blade...
I've worked in engines all my life and the only way I would say that would be possible would be with the old Wisconsin engines with the magneto that could snap a spark... "

As Kbeitz says, unless it has an impulse mag, you need to turn crank about 800 rpms to get a CDI to fire.

"but I remember the early solid state Lawnboys, you just had to rock the magnets past the coil and you had a good spark."

Magnets passing the coil is all that causes spark on any, it would still have to pass at the approx. speed of 800 rpm, Old LB mechanic.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
@rscurtis, i remember that joint,
over in hicksville if i recall

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,892 Posts
I think the REAL question here is: Who on this board is going to do the empirical testing to prove or disprove? Plug or unplug? Sorry, I'm not going to be the one to flip over my old push mower and spin the blade around (either direction) while marking tics on a tally sheet "Nope, no start.... Nope, no start... Nope, no start.......BLAAAAAATHTH!!!!!!!!"

Who you gonna call? Myth-Busters! That'd be good publicity for the site, wouldn't it?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,077 Posts
Hey, do as you please, might be better if you removed the head just to make sure it doesn't start, could diesel.

Walt Conner

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
just my.02 aswell, I have a tecumseh that taugh me a lesson, I was turning the pulley on the engine to get a stubburn drive belt on, it fired spun and died right away, the key was out but the kill wire was chewed out by some mice. It does not matter your age, the engines age, or if the key is in the off position and removed, if it can go wrong, with a chance, it will go wrong.

Just to add to this but not take us off topic, I met a guy who was starting a hand crank tractor and it kicked back and shattered his forearm, the guy has a piece of metal maybe 5 inches long replacing the middle of his forearm now.

:hide:

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Do you actually think the engine would start but turning the blade...I've worked in engines all my life and the only way I would say that would be possible would be with the old Wisconsin engines with the magneto that could snap a spark... Even then the chance would be less than playing the lottery... Look how fast and hard you need to spinn a prop on an airplane to get it to start and it has spark all the time...
Just my $00.02
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

·
Registered
100 Posts
.. Look how fast and hard you need to spinn a prop on an airplane to get it to start and it has spark all the time...
I was reading some of these safety threads and saw this post. Thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter. Actually, an aircraft reciprocating engine does not have to turn fast and hard to start. All that it needs is to get past a cylinder compression cycle and if the fuel/air mixture is correct, it will start or try to start. Speed of rotation is not an issue, fuel/air mixture is. The aircraft magneto provides a starting spark in two ways. One is a mechanical spring loaded impulse coupler and the other is a magneto with 2 sets of point. In the impulse coupled magneto, the spark is withheld until a cylinder reaches the start position on a compression stroke. It then fires a hot spark to start the engine. The dual point magneto has starting points that are batttery fired. Little speed of rotation is needed. Because of these features aircraft engines can be hand propped with just a small amount of rotation. I start my engine on the first or second compression cycle.

In aviation we treat props as if the magneto is hot at all times. When I rotate my prop by hand it is always counter to normal rotation. Only when I know that the magneto is disabled do I turn the prop in normal rotation. Props have injured a number of people.

Just thought I'd post this for any member who may be interested in airplanes and aviation.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I played with mag engines sitting on the bench.
Not much different than an aircraft engine with a mag.
I would tune them up the best I could and play to see how slow I could turn the engine over to get it to start...
You need to spin it fast enough so it would cost through the next compression cycle before it would start... I'm sure you would need to do the same with an aircraft engine...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts