My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finishing up the grass mowing late Friday night when the LGT14 was sounding "different". I couldn't figured out what changed but something did. Just a couple more passes at the grass and I was done. Drove it back to the garage, left it idle while I opened the door. When I walked back to the tractor I noticed lots of oil dripping onto the drive below the engine.

I shut it down and opened the hood. The oil fill tube had lost all three screws that bolt it to the Kohler. The only thing keeping it from dropping onto the ground was the dip stick.

I had replaced the oil fill because the PO had installed the wrong starter and had to pinch the oil fill to clear the electrical lug.

I don't remember if these 8-32 screws had lock washers, now they do along with some lock-tite.

When I got it back together I checked the oil level, it had only lost 1/2 - 3/4 quart. I guess the noise I heard was the open crank case!

Good thing it happened as I was finishing, the engine would have been toast!:eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was finishing up the grass mowing late Friday night when the LGT14 was sounding "different". I couldn't figured out what changed but something did. Just a couple more passes at the grass and I was done. Drove it back to the garage, left it idle while I opened the door. When I walked back to the tractor I noticed lots of oil dripping onto the drive below the engine.

I shut it down and opened the hood. The oil fill tube had lost all three screws that bolt it to the Kohler. The only thing keeping it from dropping onto the ground was the dip stick.

I had replaced the oil fill because the PO had installed the wrong starter and had to pinch the oil fill to clear the electrical lug.

I don't remember if these 8-32 screws had lock washers, now they do along with some lock-tite.

When I got it back together I checked the oil level, it had only lost 1/2 - 3/4 quart. I guess the noise I heard was the open crank case!

Good thing it happened as I was finishing, the engine would have been toast!:eek:
Whoa. Close call. I'm going to go out and check my screws now. :trink40:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts