My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of 4 cubic yards of black dirt today and spread it out over a low area in my soon to be front yard with my X530 and 48" front blade. It did an adequate job of getting the rough distribution done in a hurry and without straining my back. I did a bit more with it after I took these pictures, but the second pictures was after about an hour of attacking the pile.

I have now rough racked more of it where I wanted it, too. Next I will run a chain-link-and-2x6 harrow over the whole area. I added a sprinkler zone to my system along with manual values to manage the flow, etc. from the lake water irrigation system, so I'm ready to water it once I get it ready to seed.

The blade has been a great investment so far, and so I wanted to pass along another example of what I've been doing with it.

dirt_1_4cuyrds.JPG dirt_2_4cuyrds.JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
I use to do That with My old JD 240 Mind you Is was Usually a semi Load full or 17 Cubic Yards. Once I Got a Tractor with a Loader I haven't Used My Front Blades In the Dirt. Yet I take the rubber edge Off every Year and set My Front Blade Up for Dirt Use and It Just sit There. But It's Nice to see someone Using there X500 series with Front Blade for Non snow related work:thThumbsU

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
It's Nice to see someone Using there X500 series with Front Blade for Non snow related work:thThumbsU
I was thinking the same thing!

Looks like it got the job done without needing a loader/JB Jr. Was it fun? I've considered getting some dirt delivered and doing a similar sort of thing in a spot or two. Certainly looks easier on the back!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use my 54" 4 way blade for detail grading of the soil after general filling with the loader. I find I can get a better over all finish that way. Maybe I haven't mastered the loader yet. I may need another project to give it a go, but for sure the dozer blade gets used year round.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Looks like someone had fun today!!! Thanks for the pics..

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I use my 54" 4 way blade for detail grading of the soil after general filling with the loader. I find I can get a better over all finish that way. Maybe I haven't mastered the loader yet. I may need another project to give it a go, but for sure the dozer blade gets used year round.
I think you are right. I have never been able to get as good of finish with my loader as I have with my blade. Since I have a 400 and they are not interchangeable very easily, I picked up a box blade this spring and it does an awesome job of leveling stuff out. Much better than a front blade or loader.

Not sure you can hook a box blade up to a X500, don't think they are 3pt capable.

·
MTF Poster
101 Posts
Nice work. :thThumbsU Back when I bought my X540 the first project I did with it was dozing the landscaping off a hill in my backyard and prepping it for grass. The blade worked flawlessly and the tractor was very stable on the hill. Wish I still had pictures of that project.The blade comes in handy for a lot more then snow.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'd love to have one of those 44 blades on my X340 but I don't think it would handle it well. I don't get much snow but I doubt it would be very effective for pushing gravel and dirt like I need. No diff lock and I suppose it would be a little hard on the K58.

Guess ill have to find a dozer blade for my Super A

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have loved a box blade set up, but I got such a deal on the front blade that I couldn't pass it up. Plus it is fun in the snow too!

I think you are right. I have never been able to get as good of finish with my loader as I have with my blade. Since I have a 400 and they are not interchangeable very easily, I picked up a box blade this spring and it does an awesome job of leveling stuff out. Much better than a front blade or loader.

Not sure you can hook a box blade up to a X500, don't think they are 3pt capable.

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is another project where I might get to employ the blade too. I was thinking about this or using a chain to pull the larger plants. The blade would be easier and having learned of your success, I think I will try the blade first.

Nice work. :thThumbsU Back when I bought my X540 the first project I did with it was dozing the landscaping off a hill in my backyard and prepping it for grass. The blade worked flawlessly and the tractor was very stable on the hill. Wish I still had pictures of that project.The blade comes in handy for a lot more then snow.

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts

I'd love to have one of those 44 blades on my X340 but I don't think it would handle it well. I don't get much snow but I doubt it would be very effective for pushing gravel and dirt like I need. No diff lock and I suppose it would be a little hard on the K58.

Guess ill have to find a dozer blade for my Super A
The X530 can Take either a Manual lift Or Hydraulic Lift Integral Hitch(Sleeve Hitch) and Both Brinly and Agri-Fab Make Box scrapes for sleeve Hitches and even in that size of Box Scrape they do reasonably well.

I use to Move dirt & Gravel with a 38inch Front Blade On a JD R70 Rear engine rider(The One Place My Lemon R70 Never Gave Me a Problem). Your X320 could Handle the same Job But all You have to do is take smaller Bites of a Pile Of Dirt or Gravel. The Project above would actually be Perfect for a John Deere Tractor shovel More so than a Johnny Bucket Because when You Lift the Bucket section up you do have a straight Blade.

BTW JohnnyReb I have a friend with a X324 where we Changed Out the rear Hitch Plate to a Hitch Plate from the X534 so He Could Use a Manual lift Integral Hitch with either a rear Blade or a Brinly Box scrape to Grade his 1/4mile Gravel driveway Other Than that He doesn't use the Integral Hitch with anything else and His transmission is fine and the Integral Hitch has Been On His X324 since 2007( he does change His Trans Fluid Yearly) and Mows His 3acre Yard with the X324 as well. He Use's a LX280 for snow removal and soon a Bercomac Tiller(killed His agri-fab Tow Behind):thThumbsU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts