My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first laptop. ..a IBM/Lenovo T42.(2328 FZU)

I know this is old:

512 ram, 40gb hdd, Centrino w/L2 cache @1.7 Ghz .........

I bought this for $100 and its in very good condition. Everything seems to work great/(a little slow) running XP Pro and refurb/conditioned nicely. A few questions...

1) I can upgrade RAM to 2Gb but man that older Ram is expensive. Can double it to 1Gb for about $25 or triple to 1.5Gb for ~$45..any thoughts?

2) Can you hook a laptop up to show on a TV w/avi jacks and what is needed?

3) I've researched this "card bus" thingy and assume its obsolete?

This seems like a well built laptop and seems like it can still be very useful for what I want to do with it (my twelve year old will cringe) ..Also..

Found an add on CL for the 9 cell extended battery and the docking station...probabaly pick up both for $40-50 ...worth it?

I would like to know any opinions on what I could and could not do in this "day-and-age" with this old machine.

PS...I know this is a tractor forum, but I trust this site's advice with my computers too.....:thanku::fing32::thanku:

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
1. Shows to use DDR PC2700 memory for it. I don't think you'll have any issues upgrading your RAM.
2. http://www.vgatorcaadapter.com/
3. Cardbus is pretty much obsolete now.

The 9 cell battery (new not used) and a docking station will be well worth the price!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow...that was quick and efficeint....except...Ram question?

How much ram should I upgrade on this old of a machine?. I mean will maxing out at 2Gb improve it alot more than going w/1.5...or is just doubling it to 1Gb gonna be enough to run XP ok?

Hate to ask stupid questions but Ram vs. System vs. Mobo vs. etc,etc. gets my head spinning....

Thanks again....

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
Put the most RAM in it you can afford! XP 32 bit can only use 2 gig of RAM but it will really make a big difference on how quick your machine operates. Your machine will use RAM to store (cache) data that it needs repetitively. It also allows you to load files and programs to memory so the more you have the fewer disk reads will be needed to obtain the next instruction set or set of data. This means faster in response in end-user terminology!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh....and the CL thing...He wants $30 for the Battery and say's its only been used a few times.

I was'nt going to give $30 for a used battery but offer $40-50 for both ($45)

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
Number of uses isn't important here, how old is the battery. They will lose their ability to charge over time and an old battery isn't much good even if it's never been used!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the most RAM in it you can afford! XP 32 bit can only use 2 gig of RAM but it will really make a big difference on how quick your machine operates. Your machine will use RAM to store (cache) data that it needs repetitively. It also allows you to load files and programs to memory so the more you have the fewer disk reads will be needed to obtain the next instruction set or set of data. This means faster in response in end-user terminology!
I was afraid you'd say that...that PC2700 ram is expensive.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks PA318 (is that PA JD318?) lol

You have been a great help and a lovely witness......(my cousin vinny, love that movie)

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
I tell the truth it keeps me out of trouble (most of the time!) It is expensive but it's not the most expensive RAM out there! I should also say that depending on what you're using the computer for would allow you to cut back. Anything with a lot of graphics will need the most RAM (games, video's etc...). Most programs will do OK on XP with 1 gb of RAM but you may need some patience when initially loading them!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a thought....is that obsolete bus card thingy able to help w/Ram?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tell the truth it keeps me out of trouble (most of the time!) It is expensive but it's not the most expensive RAM out there! I should also say that depending on what you're using the computer for would allow you to cut back. Anything with a lot of graphics will need the most RAM (games, video's etc...). Most programs will do OK on XP with 1 gb of RAM but you may need some patience when initially loading them!
Funny you should say that. I want to run the "TestOut" cd-rom software for the 2006 objectives covering the "Essentials" Comptia test.

Have'nt tried to load/run it yet. Bought it on "IOFFER.COM" ...for $50 bucks.

I know its out-dated, but should help me learn more about these god awful machines we live with.....lol.

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
Computers still run on the basics! Memory, storage, processor, bus, BIOS. Some of the methods of doing things have changed but the basics are still all there!

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
just a thought....is that obsolete bus card thingy able to help w/Ram?

I guess there were some attempts at it but it was too slow for main memory and then USB 2.0 came and the jump drives fit the bill nicely so that is where development took off. I'm not sure if your processor will recognize USB as additional memory, it might!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks...

You and this site are awesome....3.5K post to boot...(pardon the "parity").....lol

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
http://www.vgatorcaadapter.com/

And so Murpy's Law loads up.....

That link explained it..I'm not sure what to do......I wanted to buy "that" cable but no link directly to it. Not sure what S-video is, or the TV spec's .

Gotta love Football and Technology......

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
You are correct and the fun is what connectors does your TV have available? Your computer has a VGA output, so you will need to go from VGA to whatever format your TV accepts. This can be.....are you ready......S-Video, RCA, RBG, HDMI, HDI, composite color, coaxial cable, UHV, VHF and I'm sure I'm still missing a few! You will need to do a search like I did for the right adapter. Here is the one from VGA to RCA plugs http://www.nextag.com/Steren-253-512IV-VGA-64300015/prices-html

·
Registered
273 Posts
that is a wrong statement windows xp 32 can only reconize 3 gb of system memory which means ram and video

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a T30 that I still use which has 1 gb of memory in it now. I use it to cruize the web mainly and I've never had issues with it being too slow. Theres only two slots for memory in there so you will need to take that into account. My thinkpad does not share ram with the video card, the video card has its own seprate chip that is not upgradeable.

If it has all of the original IBM utilities there is a way to check the first operation of the battery and how many times the battery has been cycled if you are curious about a used battery. This information is stored in the battery unit, at least the oem ones anyway. The dock it takes has been the same one for a number of years and bunch of models so you should be able to find one for almost nothing.

I use my cardbus for a network card because the onboard nic chip doesn't work anymore. I did not but the integrated wireless at the time so I also have a wirless card I use.

By the way mine cost $2200 new in 2003.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks alot guy/girls....the T42 maxes out at 2Gb..mine does anyway...figured I'll have to spring for a Gig/~$50 and end up with a usable laptop(1.5Gb ram) that won't be "dial-up" slow. ( It plays DVD great w/512Mb) for $150.

I like the idea of using the CardBus for a network card as I'm not sure how well mine works yet. It does connect but have'nt played with it enough to determine how affectively.

What should I look for in a Network Card? ...how much are they? What other functions could I add using the CardBus slot...Card Reader, Bluetooth, etc. ?

Thx...
c1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts