My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,619 Posts
Been going to Harold's Burger Bar in Centralia, Washington, since I was a kid. Harold believed in doing things right, making them good, and being clean and food-safe. You couldn't say that about some other places back then...

The kids are running the place now, and are still following Harold's old-fashioned philosophy. You get a burger and fries where the sack gets transparent from the grease, they always taste GREAT, and are consistently good every time. I'm not in the area often any more, but when I'm there, I don't bother with the new places by the freeway! It's worth the drive to the old part of town - to Harold's.

The place can be a little hard to find nowadays, because it used to be on the main drag; but time and "progress" have moved the main streets a few blocks to the west. But the little stand still sits proudly on the side of the street, and it's still painted white and green (see photos).

I noticed that it's still getting good reviews, but you get one or two grumblers where they didn't bother to look at the price before ordering. You want the works, you pay for it and get fabulous stuff; but it ain't McDonald's cheap!

Still ranks with us as "one of the best places we've ever eaten."

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Hey I wanted to add another one to the list : Middlesex Diner, Exit 52 on rt. 11 in Carlisle PA. We Stop There every time on the way back from Shriner's in Philadelphia. Good Home style food with a large selection. my newest favorite from there is rodeo chicken wrap

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
We live in Virginia, our daughter is in school in CT.

Although not a D,D,&D, we can not go by without stopping at

http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/

It is located at Exit 40 on Interstate 78 in Pennsylvania, you can't miss the sign.

We get some ham, smoked swiss, and local bread, and have the best sandwich's you can imagine going up (or down!!) the road.

If you are there on the weekend, they have smoked italian sausage that is to die for!!

This place has it all, bring cash, they don't take credit cards.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Slightly OT....

My friend and I were talking about DDD, MvF, and similar shows and concluded that you pretty much couldn't go wrong opening a joint where the menu was nothing but the killer dishes from those shows.

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
My favorite would have to be TOM THUMB HAMBURGERS in Fort Dodge Iowa on Hwy 169. They have a DQ on the front part of the building. They make their own rolls and buns. I get the bacon double cheese and a pound box of seasoned frys every time I get a tow up in that area. My brother and I drove 90 mi out of the way just to eat here once :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
My favorite is a small drive in called Mrs.Mikes in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Great burgers and fries with chili. If you order a chili burger it is in a round take out container and then the chili is poured over top. You eat your burger with a spoon. Closes down from about Christmas till late Feb. or early March. I am going through withdrawl about this time of year.lol. Other places have the same type stuff but the chili is just not as good. I usually get there about once a week in the summer months.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,770 Posts
If you're ever near Fairmont, WV. and like Italian, one of the very best eating places in the state is at Muriales Italian Restaurant, been in business since 1969 and one of my favorite places to have dinner at when I'm over that way :rauch10:.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Trapper's cafe in Taylor Arizona
Mrs. Kitty's Diner in Snowflake, Arizona on Concho Highway at the country store.
I forgot the name of it but it is across the street from road kill diner in Seligman Arizona.
Grumpy Jakes in Show Low Arizona.
Trav

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Administrator
21,002 Posts
Glad I was able to find this thread. Knew it was here in one of the forums, but had to do a search to find it. Thought it was in the Off Topic section at first.

We are on our way to Colorado and travelling on I-80 thru Iowa and Nebraska. Stopped in Omaha at a restaurant that my son saw on Diners, Dives, and Drive-ins. It's name is Brewburgers. The idea behind the sandwich we had was good, but it was a little dry. Smoked brisket on rye bread. Could have been much better, but it was fun going to a place that had been the focus of a TV show.

Probably going to run into some more great food spots on the trip and may post them up in here as well. Always nice to know that your dining experience has been tested by someone else and met with their approval or disapproval.

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Yeah, Brad, I'm glad I found it too!! This one has great potential!

Okay, here's some of my finds (I am not a cook, but a professional eater...:biglaugh:). These are what I call "Just go there" places - it's good enough to JUST GO:

1. Seafood House in Vernon, AL, Hwy, 12 S.

2. Ricky's on Hotel Circle off I-8, San Diego - BEST pancakes I have ever had!! Coffee is terrible though

3. For coffee, go to coffee shop in Old Town (forgot name, but coffee is GREAT!).

4. Cravin' Catfish in Sherman, MS

5. Krilakis in Ridgeland, MS - Greek food by an old boy who knows what he is doing with Greek food!! http://www.krilakis.com/

6. Vine's in Centerville, MS - 40 miles (or so) north of Baton Rouge

7. Old Venice in Starkville, MS - I have been to many places in Italy, New York City to eat Italian food - Old Venice - man, this place beats them!!

8. Village Deli in Daniel Village shopping center, Augusta, GA - BEST hamburger I have ever eaten - meat is sourced from a local butcher.

9. Lil' Dutch House, Hwy 1, Wrens, GA

10. Thursday Farmer's Market in Bluffton, SC - I met two French chefs who run restaurants near Bluffton now, a man from Sweden cooking she-crap soup to die for, a couple making EXCELLENT crepes, a family making BEST seafood gumbo I have ever eaten, etc. If you ever go to Hilton Head - GO to Bluffton Farmer's Market! Check online for dates, etc.

Yes, I travel a lot! I could tell you some places in Thailand, Japan, Nairobi, etc., but I'll hold off on those unless someone wants to know. All the above places are just regular places, no high-dollar restaurants here, but great food! This is my kind of thread!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm surprised Brad didn't say Rips Chicken in Ladd. Actually I've eaten there and can give it a thumbs up, but I found the best chicken at the White Fence Farm in Bolingbrook, Il. ( SW Chicago).

steve

·
Who?
16 Posts
Tom, Dick and Harry's is at Monitor, WA on Highway 2 (there's only one light there and it's on the north side of the highway at the light) just a few miles west of Wenatchee. Great old fashioned burgers and shakes. Every weekend in the summer there's some kind of antique car rally parked there. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tractor holic -

Those are the good ole days of the twin citys..... North end diner in Leominster is good but pricey. There really is not a good diner anymore in the area for good food and good prices, its too bad.

I am from Leominster...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Two places for BBQ in St. Louis, MO

Adam's Smokehouse, near The Hill -- just opened in October. Excellent mains and sides (esp the beans)
Bogart's Smokehouse, in Soulard --excellent mains and sides, especially the pickles.

there's a third, called Pappy's, downtown, but I haven't been and hear the lines are really long -- hey, it's downtown.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I need to start trying these places.
Since I work for the airlines I thought about just flying to airports and finding restaurants inside the airports and write reviews on them, for exapmle Memphis there is Interstate BBQ inside the airport that is real good and the whole airport smells great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Arnolds Drive In, Decatur, Indiana

Moms Dinner, Archbold, Ohio

Baumbach's BBQ, New Paris, Ohio

21 - 40 of 45 Posts