My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
LOL! It does if you can envision how a transmitter operates. Think of pulses of globular radio waves being broadcast out millions of times a second. If you are within direct line of sight of the transmitter, you get all those pulses clearly. But very often, even if you are in the line of sight, something is there between you and the transmitter. Then you may be getting reflected signals off whatever it is that is blocking that direct line of sight. Those reflections can be twisted in many different ways so that you do get better reception when the antenna is set differently or moved even a few inches. Even the electrical wiring inside your home can block certain frequencies because even though they may be grounded, they are not shielded.
That's a really simple explanation for a very complex subject.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So is there a realistic way of collecting and concentrating a signal into a particular path. Funnel effect. Like in finding what is bending the signal and inhancing it?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Realistically, no. Oh, you could try the best antenna and stick it way up high and have some amplifiers connected to the downlead, but you are still dealing with the transmitted signal power and anything in between you and the tower. Broadcast TV signals are relatively low power, so as not to interfere with other stuff.

·
Administrator
11,780 Posts
I had a longtime customer a couple months ago that lives in a condo that wanted to do away with cable and use an inside antenna for a bedroom TV. I told her probably would not work too well the location she was at but she wanted me to come over and try it anyway. The inside antennas despite the manufacture claims are really still just a glorified rabbit ear or loop style antenna. The more expensive ones have a small amplifier but still you have to have some signal for it to amplify. Think the one she got was "Leaf" brand. Anyway I held it up and went to every corner floor to ceiling, in the window every direction while she tried channels and we did several re-scans. One channel here, couple others there, ended up the most channels came in with it laying flat smack in the middle of her bed. ?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts