My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried running two antennas to one set without an AB switch. The set will only allow one input scan on one antenna. I would like to scan two antennas at one time and one scan.
Just trying to pickup the channels that are not being picked up without moving the antenna and rescaning. Splitters only work in one direction. Input to multiple device's and I want multiple inputs to one device.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Check out AVS forum and type in combining 2 antennas in the search bar on their website. There is a lot of useful info on the avs sight that helped me when I hurriedly threw together a uhf/vhf frankentenna the day we cut the cable. We are in a remote rural location but can get 16 channels including 3 major networks plus pbs and several others. I'll eventually get a new one but hey this one still works but just looks like crap. Good luck.(y)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do you have both VHF & UHF stations you're trying to receive? If so, you need a combination antenna. If you're trying to receive stations from different areas, you need a rotor.
When you say "The set will only allow one input scan on one antenna.", most tv's have both scanning and manual channel entry.
You can combine signals, have two antennas attached with a splitter, but the problem is signal loss. If that's the case you need a booster/splitter (signal amplifier).
An A-B switch should work as well, even with scanning. Have it on antenna A then scan. Write these channels down. Do the same for B. Now in the channel menu it should allow you to add or delete channels that you want.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just need an antenna combiner. Found one on Amazon. Was trying to use a splitter in reverse and it was filtering one antenna out. If I move the one antenna it will pickup 12 channels its will not get in its present location. The two antennas are identical. When all done I am hoping to get 42 channels without cable.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just need an antenna combiner. Found one on Amazon. Was trying to use a splitter in reverse and it was filtering one antenna out. If I move the one antenna it will pickup 12 channels its will not get in its present location. The two antennas are identical. When all done I am hoping to get 42 channels without cable.
The Amazon signal combiner will work IF you're getting a strong signal. If antennas are identical, moving it you get more channels then sounds like you need one antenna and rotor.
Combiner may work with two antennas, without equipment you could try it.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
One issue you might run into using two antennas pointed in two different directions is getting a strong signal from the same channel from two different directions. The problem is the signals have a slight time shift. Meaning the first signal is a direct line of sight signal from the station and the second signal is a reflection that is traveling further and bouncing off a hill from another direction. In the old days of analog signal this would just result in a ghost or in other words a picture with a double image. Now with the digital signal there is no ghosts or fuzzy weak signal reception. Either the signal is strong and the tuner locks on it or it is too weak or distored for some reason such as a ghost and will not lock. No lock, no picture. That might be what is happening now when you try and back feed a two set coupler. The tuner is seeing the same channel but it has a ghost and so it does not know what to do and just won't lock on to it and decode it. One way to help avoid this issue is to use antennas that are very directional in their reception pattern. But still if the signal bouncing in from the other direction is strong enough your still likely going to have problems.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now channels from one antenna location will not even pickup in the other location. If they would a booster would have been the solution. I can check signal strenghts from both antenna locations to verify this. If combing both antennas doesn't work then a home made fractal multi-directional will be in the works. I can make the thing 70 ft long if needed.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you haven't already done this check tv fool TV Fool to see what your potential channels and their locations will be. Good luck.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,152 Posts
I made an omni-directional antenna by following plans I found online,the plans show the antenna being made by using PVC plastic pipe bent into a hoop shape that is 26" in diameter,and you use two lengths of copper tubing 3/8" in diameter cut to 42" half circles,or you can use solid copper ground wire (like 8 or 10 ga),and attach both pieces to a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun...

I modified the plans some,I used a kids "flying saucer" sled that was the perfect diameter to attach the solid wire I had to,using plastic tubing clamps to the outer rim of the saucer...
I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the saucer and made a piece to mount it to the mast out of a slip on coupler for EMT,I brazed a 1/2" nut inside of it,and used some plywood to beef up the saucer around the hole..

I have not yet erected the antenna outside--I tried using it indoors ,and got 17 stations,most from Providence RI that is only 20 miles away--but none from Boston,the transmitters are 30 miles to the north --I'm hoping once I get the thing on a 20 foot mast outside,it'll be able to pick up the Boston channels too..

Unfortunately when I tried putting the mast into the flagpole mount in my front lawn (which is just a 2" pipe buried in concrete about 2 feet deep).I lost control of it,and it came crashing down,and cracked the saucer badly--I have managed to melt it back together using a soldering iron,but I'm going to make a long pipe to put in the ground mount that has two metal plates welded to it,with 1/2" holes in the plates,that way I can drill the mast at the bottom,pin it to the plates and act as a hinge,so I can walk it up easily,and clamp the mast to that pipe..(what I shoulda done to begin with)..then see what it'll get for channels..

A new saucer can be had at Lowe's for $6 ,if it works well I may just rebuild it with a new saucer,and tell Comcast to stuff their $75+ dollar a month cable bill where the sun dont shine..tired of watching repeats of the same programs since 2010 or longer,and endless commercials --if it doesn't work on the Boston channels--then I'm going to probably get "Philo TV",a streaming service that has every channel I'm currently getting on cable plus several more--for only $20 a month..I cant afford to pay almost a hundred bucks for cable,not when my Verizon Fios is $93 a month...my electric bill to run my whole house is only less than $40 most months!..cable is such a ripoff..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what channels that can be had and have no problem getting them if the antenna is in the right location. I just want to get the rest of the channels that can be had by moving the antenna to a different location and doing a new scam.
From what I have read a combiner will allow the use of both antennas while controlling channel bleed from one antenna to the other.
My set will not allow channels to be manually added or I would just add them and move the antenna.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,287 Posts
I wish I could use an antenna at my home. All but 2 stations are over 50 miles away and those 2 are over 30 miles away and on the other side of a mountain range (or what passes for mountains in eastern PA) My basic cable TV bill is over $80 a month. It used to be the cheapest monthly bill I had, but it has since passed my phone bill and my electric bill and my house is totally electric.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,152 Posts
You should look into Philo...only reason I don't already have it,is the fact they only take payments by credit or debit cards,which I lack at the moment..https://try.philo.com/

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We went from two 120 mile roof mounts to in house HD's. Reception never changed much.
The reason for the change for. This set was hooked to and old vhf, uhf with booster. The booster went down. For something with just a small loop and two ears on the right days it would pickup channels 150 miles away. I am just trying to get back the channels it would normally pickup. HD antennas have a way to go for us the live a distance from a tower. Wish their power output was regulated better.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From your descriptions, Ariens93GT20, it sounds like what you need is a diplexer. There is a good explanation here between splitters, combiners and diplexers.

Think just the combiner will do the job. If to different signal types were connected together then yes a diplexer would be the way to go. With two antenna's with the same type signal there should not be a problem using a combiner. Guess time will tell. Diplexers are for combining two different signal type. Thanks for the link. It does cover some issues.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,152 Posts
Welp.I just got my Comcast bill the other day,and it is now $88.52 for "Digital Ecomony",a package I've had for 10+ years that they tell me "won't be available any more,its only being kept on for "existing customers"..
The channel line up stinks,about the only ones I watch are Discovery,History,and TV Land,and a few programs on AMC and the Sci-Fi channel--mostly I like the "Music Choice" channels,that are commercial free--but I cannot justify using my TV just to listen to music I can hear on You-Tube and watch the videos..

The programming stinks on most of the channels too,shows I'd never watch,or have seen 50 times in the past 8+ years,re-runs of old shows that I like can be had on "ME-TV" free over the air too,which is one channel I watch the most of..

My cable package actual cost is $39.95,and hasn't gone up in years,its the "broadcast fees,additional outlets and "other charges" that jack it up to $88.52--I was paying under $55 until 2017,since then they dropped several channels I liked with no offer to add replacements or a refund,nope,just keep paying more and get less!...
I plan to lug the cable boxes and adapters to the nearest Comcast store and cancel the cable..
I simply cannot afford another bill nearly $100 a month,I pay nearly that for FIOS and my landline phone..(which seems to only ring when robo-callers call)..

I will try the over the air antenna,but I will need to figure out a way to split the signal to two TV's...if that proves to be un-watchable due to pixilation and drop outs (like I often get WITH cable!),then I will either get Philo,or buy a "smart tv" and get a firestick or Roku,etc,and stream whatever channels I can get..
Comcast has bent me over long enough..

Also the cable bill is still in my late mothers name,so after I cancel that account,I will be considered a "new customer"..they tell me for $79,95 I can get the "triple play" for all 3 things,phone,internet,and TV..but I have FIOS for internet and haven't had any issues with them (other than their customer service sucking ,but thats true of all cable companies)..friends are encouraging me to cut the cord,they showed me how many channels they get for free with their smart TV and a Firestick,and what I'd save not paying for cable 2 months would buy a smart TV..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
We were looking at some old family pictures today and stumbled across a picture of my son and our granddaughter and a binder clip antenna I threw together around the pic years ago just to see if it would work; it did......lol. The antenna was comprised of 6 larger binder clips, 2 large straightened out paper clips and a 300ohm - 75ohm matching transformer. The pic of it in use is blurry and I forgot how many channels it actually picked up but my son got a chuckle over it at the time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts