My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I came across a lift rod (finally) for my Gravely 816 lift hitch. When the part arrived, it did not fit. The length and bend seem correct when doing a rough test fit, but the rod diameter is too big to fit in the hole of the lift arm AND the 90 degree bend is 180 degrees the wrong way! It is bent to go in from the left side, but the transmission vent cap is right smack in the path. If I was able to come in from the right, it would be fine I believe.

It will be easy enough to modify this rod to work. It seems the best thing to do would be to scab on a 6" or so piece of correct diameter rod with a 90 degree bend along side the end of the rod that has the bend going the wrong way.
I did try to get some pics, but it was dark, rainy and hard to get in there!

The reason I am posting is that I had no idea there were ever different lift rods made. Knowing Gravelys, I should not be surprised AT ALL.

So was there another series that came standard with a lift hitch? Was this thicker rod from a single arm lift hitch?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,
Tony aka Max

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Hi All,
I came across a lift rod (finally) for my Gravely 816 lift hitch. When the part arrived, it did not fit. The length and bend seem correct when doing a rough test fit, but the rod diameter is too big to fit in the hole of the lift arm AND the 90 degree bend is 180 degrees the wrong way! It is bent to go in from the left side, but the transmission vent cap is right smack in the path. If I was able to come in from the right, it would be fine I believe.

It will be easy enough to modify this rod to work. It seems the best thing to do would be to scab on a 6" or so piece of correct diameter rod with a 90 degree bend along side the end of the rod that has the bend going the wrong way.
I did try to get some pics, but it was dark, rainy and hard to get in there!

The reason I am posting is that I had no idea there were ever different lift rods made. Knowing Gravelys, I should not be surprised AT ALL.

So was there another series that came standard with a lift hitch? Was this thicker rod from a single arm lift hitch?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,
Tony aka Max
Post some pics. The clevis goes at the back. The part AFAIK has always been the same since it was introduced on the 816.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Post some pics. The clevis goes at the back. The part AFAIK has always been the same since it was introduced on the 816.
Yeah let's see some pics. Sounds like something is not together correctly and giving you problems. The rod should be 5/8" dia. It will most likely rub on something or be real close at the top of the trans (oil fill tube or other linkage) Jason

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well slap my ***** and call me Sally...

I guess we know why I don't making a living as a mechanic. I'd starve.

Haven't tried it yet Mark, but I do believe you caught me in a blonde moment.
For some reason I had it in my head that the clevis went to the front..in fact I was so sure of it I became blind to any other option!!
:fing20:

I'll try it tomorrow and even though my pride is in pain, I will report back.
:thanku:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts