My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get the wide wheel stance on my GT235, it looks like that can only be done with the 54" deck which would also give me more weight lower.

I saw two 54C decks for sale. One came from a 425 with a drive shaft. Don't think that one will work for me.

The other one came off a X585. From a small picture and not having seen mine off, they look the same. Would a X585 54C be identical to what would fit on my GT235?

What is a good quality one worth? What would my 48C in good shape be worth?

A dealer said the 18hp engine (Kawi) was underpowered for the 54" deck?

Thanks! :fing32:

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Just to give you a point of reference, the LX288 used a 54c deck and the 18hp Kawi V-twin. That would be the same era as your GT235 and probably nearly the same machine with a different trans.

Dan

·
Registered
378 Posts
The X585 Deck will not work on your GT.The 585 deck is shaft driven just like the 425.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The X585 Deck will not work on your GT.The 585 deck is shaft driven just like the 425.
Just took a gander at a different angle in enlarged mode and do indeed see the shaft drive. Let me change the question.

What does it take to covert shaft to belt? Seems like the shaft drive is extra stuff vs. having left off a lot of belt hardware?

Still would like to know the value of a VG 54C deck. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There are lots of differences. The shell is the same, but all the welded brackets are different and you are missing the belt tensioning assembly for the belt-drive PTO. You'd have to do a lot of cutting and welding to covert one, and you'd have to make all the brackets since you can't get weld-on parts from JD.

I looked on MachineFinder.com and you are right...there are NO belt drive 54C's out there. But, a lot of shaft-drive one's for @ $1,000.

If you can find one, I'd expect a good-looking (but used) 54C to sell for @ $500 - $650. Condition will be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know if the other stuff was welded on or bolted on...seems they wouldn't physically make two decks, and assumed anything different between the two would be a bolted on part. Not that I would want to, but I could raid my 48C possibly for some parts.

I saw a deck on eBay from a school district missing half the parts including two of the spindles and he is asking $600.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts