My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 DYT4000 and I was just curious as to the difference between my tractor and a garden tractor of a similar year.

I know the GT has a heavier duty transaxle, bigger tires and bigger cut deck. but other than this are there any more differences?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
nope, at least none that i can think of.. thats basically it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.

do many people every swap out the heavy duty transaxle into the yard tractors?

my neighbor has a craftsman GT of the same year that broke down a couple weeks ago, might see if I can get it from him cheap and just keep for replacement parts. maybe swap the transaxle and wheels over.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
honestly, i have no clue. most people just upgrade to a garden tractor for the heavier frame rather than putting a GT trans on a LT frame

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The sole difference we all agree upon is whether the manufacturer rates the tractor for ground engaging ability (i.e. moldboard plow, cultivator, rear blade, tiller, etc.).

There have been models without hubbed rear wheels, 23" or larger tires, and so forth which have been given the green light for ground engaging ability.

There is absolutley no guarantee the frame is any thicker on a GT versus an LT.

As far as an axle upgrade, search StLadrill's thread where he upgraded the transaxle of his x300.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'd almost think it would be easier to swap your motor into the GT vs putting the gt's tranny into yours. I'd imagine the trannny has the same main mounting points, but the many linkage differences..

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:ditto:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
:ditto: :ditto:

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
then find a throw away tractor with a good engine to repower your chassis. my ******** was a 15hp, now sports an 11hp off a lawn chief. mows just dandy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts