My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after playing around today with trial and error, mostly error... I think... I've got the reverse mod "tweaked" about as much as I can. I've taken a look at the other reverse mods out there and maybe got the best of all of them.

I did diesel's adjustment on the linkages.... Then I remembered I think it was savageactor's extra height on the reverse pedal. So after looking I removed the screw from the bottom of the pedal, did a "hmm" and added some washers to act as a shim and raise the height of the pedal.

That worked decent, but I realized that the reverse pedal was limiting my speed by hitting the floor board. I looked and realized I would have a good inch of travel if either a.) the pedal was narrower. or b.) the opening was wider. So I did c.) made the pedal narrower and cut the opening wider. I did try to make it as factory as possible. Good 'ol dremal tool....

I believe you can tell in the 2nd picture (screw and washers) just how much I did cut off. I basically followed the outline of the floor mat.

There is a definite difference, much improved.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Dang! Are we gonna have to call this the Bailey mod now. I AM bummed...

Good job! Will be doing the same to mine shortly. Never knew the reverse lever was held on by a screw but i did see that some grinding would help. Cool!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found a reverse pedal from an older 3000 series that mimics the forward pedal on the 2544... I'm strongly thinking about investing the $10 to see how it would do... I'm bored...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
gc be careful of whiplash. I'm serious ...while it goes a lot faster at first it's hard to finesse it to a smooth stop.

good mod I'm sure you'll be happy with it :drunkie:

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I guess since it incorporates all 3 of our mods we can call it the DSB mod. :drunkie:

·
Registered
275 Posts
gc be careful of whiplash. I'm serious ...while it goes a lot faster at first it's hard to finesse it to a smooth stop.
It's funny you mention that.. At least on my GT2544, reverse is really fast and when you let up on the pedal too quickly it's like getting whiplash. I'm almost considering making it slower actually.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On mine it's always been good about slowly going back to neutral from either forward or reverse. I've always had to use the brake. I made the last "tweaks" yesterday after I finished mowing, so I didn't really get time to play with it much more.

If anything I need to put a longer screw, probably something like a 4" deck screw up in the reverse pedal if I don't get the brake pedal from the 3000 series. The pedal still feels secure, but I've taken 3/4" of thread away.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
With mine if I let off the forward or reverse pedal you better be holding on because it's stopping...........NOW!

·
Registered
275 Posts
If anything I need to put a longer screw, probably something like a 4" deck screw up in the reverse pedal if I don't get the brake pedal from the 3000 series. The pedal still feels secure, but I've taken 3/4" of thread away.

Just a thought, but I admit I haven't seen the underside yet to realize if this is a stupid comment or not, but would it be possible to just bend the pedal linkage instead?

Also, sorry I didn't say this earlier - but I like your mod and thanks for sharing! Very clever idea!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you could bend the linkage up, but I think you'd have to cut some more off the pedal on the rear side. On the 1st pic I don't know if you can tell it or not, but it appears that the arm is straight. I just didn't want to mess with it too much yesterday because I HAD to mow and I was just doing little things at a time that wouldn't keep me "down" for long.

The mod wasn't my idea... like I said it's from diesel, savage and the others who've modded it. It's just nice to be able to back up a hill now instead of having to turn around and go for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts