My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know diesels are supposed to rumble, but are they supposed to shake hard when shutting down? I have heard reference to the newer x748s shutting down very smoothly. My 332 rattles and rolls when shutting down. I don't care much really, except I wonder if over time something will take damage. I know the fan has signs of having contacted the shroud in the past.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Pretty normal...and sort of violent on those older machines that aren't isolated as well. Totally normal on all the ones I've been around.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sounds normal on some small diesels .One thing is to check your motor mounts though.we had a lister in a asphalt spreader once and it spun right out.mounts looked good but were worn out.

·
Joe
1,223 Posts
Yeh. I used to have a 332 and I was always a little amazed at how that dang thing really .......stuttered when shutting down. After a few years I just forgot about it.
Joe

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have nothing to compare it to, but there is a noticeable shake when I shut down my x748. Noticeable, but nothing that I am worried about.

Paul

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have nothing to compare it to, but there is a noticeable shake when I shut down my x748. Noticeable, but nothing that I am worried about.

Paul
:ditto:
I came from a gas unit and that was one thing I noticed too.

·
Banned
292 Posts
My 430 probably sounded like it shook more but that was probably the metal side panels and the huge fiberglass hood. the X748 sounds a little quieter, but I'd guess the rummer motor mounts are softer than the 20 year old 430's.

For those who do not know, you shut a diesel at lowest idle. The shaking occurs because the compression of the engine wants to stop that machine RIGHT NOW. nothing bad at all, just a powerful engine without fuel.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
My 748 shakes when it shuts off.. It probably has something to do with all that mass and 19+:1 Compression coming to a screeching halt :)

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I would say it's normal, my GR2110 does the same thing. I once had a Mitsubishi-Fuso truck with their 4-cylinder diesel, it had a throttle butterfly in the intake which closed down the instant the key was turned off to reduce engine shake- and probably preserve the motor mounts.

·
Registered
650 Posts
For those who do not know, you shut a diesel at lowest idle. The shaking occurs because the compression of the engine wants to stop that machine RIGHT NOW. nothing bad at all, just a powerful engine without fuel.
I always lower the rpm's when I shutdown the tractor. I usually lower the rpm's when I'm just sitting there. I go to WOT when I do anything else.

Paul

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Something to remember with diesels VS gas engines. Gas fires with ignition from spark, and diesels fire the under the heat of compresson. that's whay a diesel take a bigger battery to start, and when they shut down, the high compression punches it to a stop. It usually has a pretty big thump when that compression shuts it down. The Cummins engine in my pick up truck shuts down so fast that it actually squeals the serpentine belt. Their built to handle the extra stress just fine.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My 748 shakes when it shuts off.. It probably has something to do with all that mass and 19+:1 Compression coming to a screeching halt :)
Definitely plus. The TM says:
Compression Ratio. . . . . . . . . . . 23.4: 1
:trink39::thThumbsU

·
Registered
650 Posts
:ditto:
I came from a gas unit and that was one thing I noticed too.
Same here. But when I said that I had nothing to compare the diesel shake to, I figured comparing it to a gas engine would not be appropriate. This being my first diesel, I have no other diesel experience to compare it to. For all I know if the OP were to compare his 322 to my x748, the x748 could be a silky smooth shutdown. :dunno:

I am sure I will get used to it, after a while.

Paul

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say it's normal, my GR2110 does the same thing. I once had a Mitsubishi-Fuso truck with their 4-cylinder diesel, it had a throttle butterfly in the intake which closed down the instant the key was turned off to reduce engine shake- and probably preserve the motor mounts.
I was thinking about this, and wondering if any tractors have such a thing. I doubt any GTs do.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Be glad you dont have a 2 cyl Diesel.

My Kubots is a 2 cylinder and it will shake you out of the seat when shutting down.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
My 2320 shook a fair amount I thought. I also thought the X748 I tried out in 2007 shook a fair amount. But the X748 I had for a weekend in Sept. was very smooth.:fing32:

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It's kind of like a Chuck Norris thing, they are so tough they don't want to quit:greendr:

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
My 332 is like a rumba machine when it shuts down. It still is in one piece so that is all that counts to me. :D

You can fix the problem of the fan hitting the radiator shroud by replacing the rear rubber engine mounts, AM100443, which cost $57 EACH or shim it with some fender washers. The engine puts more pressure on the rear mounts and they compress more than the front ones.
See picture below.

Isolator.JPG

I did the washer method for $1.98.

My 322 with the same Yanmar engine except that it is gas, purrs like a kitten and shuts down quietly.
GotDeeres

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
My wife asked "Is it supposed to do that?" the first time she saw the x748 shut down. It reminds me of a dog that just climbed out of a pond for a second. I've been using a 4310 at work and it shuts down as smooth a silk, don't know why there is such a difference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts