My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading the post on diesel re-power of a Case 444. I went to the web site that the OP listed where he purchased his motor. I have a Giant-Vac 8hp power walk behind blower. Now this thing has a steel impeller and I can turn it in to a vacuum, with a kit I have, I used it last year and it did a good job of pushing the leaves.

Only thing is it has carb issues and it a brand new carb that the dealer I bought from had installed, it was a consignment sale. I was looking for a 9hp Honda clone motor but the web site is sold out of ever gas motor they had. I see they had a 6hp diesel motor with the right size shaft, The RPM`s listed on the web sites specs sheet says this motor will spin up to 3600 RPM`s.

Now the motor if installed on my blower/vacuum would be run at WOT, I thought that diesels motors run at a lower RPM then a gas motor, Just wondered how a motor like that would hold up or would it be better to just find a 9hp or 11hp Honda clone motor. The Briggs I/C flat head motor is very loud and screams at WOT, ever with ear protection. The web site has great prices on there motors, trouble is they are all sold out.

http://www.carrollstream.net/servlet/the-27/6HP-Diesel-Engine-With/Detail

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
You are right that a diesel runs at a lower RPM. The redline of the deisel may be 3200 while a gas motor could be 6000 RPM. With the diesel the torque curve should start just off of idle and climb until maybe 3000 RPM. Just remember that a diesel is at home working with a good load on it. I don't think the blower/vac would be much of a load for it. I'm not saying that a diesel in that application is not recommended or ideal, only that maybe some more research on the engine in question would be my suggestion.

Pete

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Diesels run best at wot and most were designed that way. Even the large 1000hp units.
So it shouldn't be an isssue, only thing is those little bangers are pretty noisey.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Actually, the blower may be an ideal application for a diesel.
They work best at WOT as an earlier poster stated and at a constant load for best efficiency. The blower required WOT and provides a constant load.

Fuel usage will probably be half what the gas motor requires. You will also avoid and 'stale gas' issues, which is always a problem with gas engines that are infrequently used.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, the blower is mostly used as a leaf pump or vacuum which will have a continuous load on it. I`d blow the leafs in windrows then suck them up into a leaf box trailer. The noise of that Briggs is the loudest thing I`ve ever heard, it sounds like its about to fly apart, it creates a very strong suction I`ve snapped small twigs going across the pick up tube, the suction is so strong.

I think i`ll see if I can find a video of a small diesel on you tube and listen to that to see it its quieter then my Briggs if it`s the same, maybe the Honda clone is quieter. I tried out a Billy Goat blower once with the 9 hp Honda that wasn't to bad, but at $1000.00 it was to much and the air filter was black so, I didn't trust the owner saying it was well maintained.

thanks

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well not much luck finding a diesel engine or I wasn't looking in the right places. The C.S.M. diesel engine like shown in the first video, was out of stock along with most of the Gas engines that Carroll Stream carries, that`s the one I wanted.

I could have got the electric start but at a $110.99 more that was just to much for something that I wouldn't use, the pull start would have been the smart thing to buy for a walk behind leaf blower, no room for a battery, plus don`t think the vibration would be good for it. Or me dragging a battery along with jumper cables, be kind of Micky Mouse.

So I went with a 11hp Honda clone even has electric start if I ever need it, much better price too. Everyone that has one seems to be happy, with good reviews from customers. I had already downloaded the owners manual about 2 month ago so this isn't a spur of the moment thing. I ordered it from here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-hp-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-66492.html

I was surprised at the shipping cost much lower then I figured it would cost, just hope the shippers don`t play foot ball with it and it shows up broken.

The diesel would have been nice, just need another fuel container, only thing is never owned anything diesel and not up on fixing one if it broke down. I know I could always come here for help if needed. Well now I wait for it to get here.......

http://www.carrollstream.net/servlet/the-27/6HP-Diesel-Engine-With/Detail

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I often wondered why manufacturers never offered a diesel option for commercial users on leaf blowers. It would make sense for the fuel savings alone, not to mentioned the burned and broken valves, burned out mufflers and manifolds, flooded carbs., etc. Noise is not a factor as most of the noise is produced by the fan, not the engine. Perhaps cost would be an issue, as well as the possibility of the machine being mis-fueled.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I often wondered why manufacturers never offered a diesel option for commercial users on leaf blowers. It would make sense for the fuel savings alone, not to mentioned the burned and broken valves, burned out mufflers and manifolds, flooded carbs., etc. Noise is not a factor as most of the noise is produced by the fan, not the engine. Perhaps cost would be an issue, as well as the possibility of the machine being mis-fueled.
I believe it is more the problem of a diesel being an exotic thing in the US.

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah mis fueled have a friend that had a Chevette with a diesel his wife stopped for fuel and the wife asked if someone could put fuel in the car. A guy came out filled the tank the she paid them, thought it was strange it cost more then usual, started it up drove about 100 feet and the motor was running strange. The guy had put gas in the tank not diesel, the garage emptied the tank and blew out the fuel lines and refueled the tank with diesel.

She got it home and told her husband that the car doesn't act right now and sound strange, they never did get it fixed so it ran right, the tank had to be almost empty. Finally traded for another car, they took a beating on the trade in, they got tired of trying to get the garage to pay for the repairs. The garage wanted to do the repairs not pay someone else. My friend has got a bad heart and it was getting to him so he said thats it, no more fighting, I`m not going to have this put me in the ground, and gave up.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The US government is in bed with the oil companies, this is why EVERYWHERE else in the World EXCEPT the US, diesels are more popular! It costs 1/2 as much to make diesel, and their emissions are cleaner than gas jobs so what gives ? Diesel has at the least 30% more BTUs per pound as gas so it is inherently more efficient. Get with it US Government..

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Another factor is that science and practical skills are not taught in schools anymore. Students are basically taught how to past tests- actually learning something usefull for everyday life is secondary.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,555 Posts
BUT--you'll notice most military vehicles use diesel fuel!....

...my dad claimed that was because its not only more efficient,its easier to transport safely compared to gas or aviation fuels...plus they can run on other fuels in a pinch like heating oil,cooking oils,etc..

·
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well not much luck finding a diesel engine or I wasn't looking in the right places. The C.S.M. diesel engine like shown in the first video, was out of stock along with most of the Gas engines that Carroll Stream carries, that`s the one I wanted.

So I went with a 11hp Honda clone even has electric start if I ever need it, much better price too. Everyone that has one seems to be happy, with good reviews from customers. I had already downloaded the owners manual about 2 month ago so this isn't a spur of the moment thing. I ordered it from here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-hp-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-66492.html

I was surprised at the shipping cost much lower then I figured it would cost, just hope the shippers don`t play foot ball with it and it shows up broken.

Well the waiting is over, got the 11hp Honda clone, greyhound is the name on this bright blue motor. Fed-Ex believer it today. Tomorrow going to be a short work day and I`ll pull the I/C Briggs motor and bolt the new motor in place. Hope it`s a simple bolt in swap. The motor is huge, hope it`s quieter then the Briggs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts