My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tractors are Red
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to install a 16.5hp Deutz diesel engine in a MF1650. The tractor has hydraulic 3pt hitch and rear PTO. The question has anyone done this before, or suggestions. The Deutz diesel is in running condition, 2 cylinder,air cooled and horizontal drive shaft.
Thank-you.

·
22,194 Posts
:MTF_wel2:, VICHARRIS.

What's the engine speed of the Deutz? If it's not 3600 rpm. you may have some pulleys to change as well.

I think it's a great idea! That'll put some serious torque to the snowblower.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
He's going to go with whatever RPM the Deutz runs since its driveshaft driven directly from the engine to the hydro but with a hyro drive it shouldn't matter.Sounds like a great conversion

·
22,194 Posts
He's going to go with whatever RPM the Deutz runs since its driveshaft driven directly from the engine to the hydro but with a hyro drive it shouldn't matter.Sounds like a great conversion
:sorry1: I assumed that the Deutz, being diesel, would have the crank at the same height , or higher, as the Onan in a 1655, not down low like the Kohler in a 1650. Most of the small diesels I've seen have a deeper sump, but I've never seen a Deutz. If the crank center height is different than for a Kohler he will also need 2 universals in the drive shaft for direct drive since there are none with the Kohler and wear on the hydro input shaft is a known issue already.

Rpm does matter to a hydro. A Sundstrand can deal with up to 14 hp. @ 3600, but only 11.7 hp. @ 3000. Top speed will suffer a similar fate. I don't know the specs on Eatons, but the percentages would be the same. A different engine speed will also have a decided effect on PTO speed without a pulley change.

If the Deutz turns at 3600, it's all a wash anyway, except for the universals, or changing over to the 1655 drive components if they are a better fit.

Whatever..... It will be a great build, and well worth the effort for the torque and fuel economy improvements.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Sunstrand hydro's will tolerate a lot more than 14 hp. Read somewhere they could handle 26 hp without damage. The biggest thing would be crankshaft size (dia & length) and the installed height of the crank. The hydro & rear PTO drive from the flywheel side and the frt & mid PTO drive from the shaft side.

·
22,194 Posts
Sunstrand hydro's will tolerate a lot more than 14 hp. Read somewhere they could handle 26 hp without damage. The biggest thing would be crankshaft size (dia & length) and the installed height of the crank. The hydro & rear PTO drive from the flywheel side and the frt & mid PTO drive from the shaft side.
With Sundstrand's written authorization for jacking up the relief valve pressures, and running at the max allowable input rpm., 45 hp. is closer to the max power that they can handle. But in GT's, they typically have an input of 3600 rpm. with a relief setting of 1500 psi. and that translates into 14.2 hp. no matter what size engine over that number is powering it. A lower input rpm. will affect the horsepower capability in a corresponding manner.

And that's more than enough juice to spin the tires, even with the ridiculous amount of weight that you and I need to get the most out of our machines. :fing32:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts