My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I previously owned a 1993 Chevy K3500 with the 6.5L turbo diesel and a NV4500 5 speed trans. I really liked that old truck a lot, even though the body was pretty rusty and the frame was also starting to get in bad shape around the leaf springs. I traded it for the 1996 Chevy K2500 I currently have. A few months ago I purchased a 2006 Chevy Duramax LBZ with the 6 speed Allison automatic. I purchased it from a family friend. He always took care of the truck and serviced it regularly. Never pulled a gooseneck until 3 years ago when he installed the turnover ball in the bed. I use the truck to pull a gooseneck every now and then and its my daily driver most of the time. As far as aftermarket parts goes it has a Diablo Sport Predator programmer with 4 tunes, an Edge Insight CTS2 monitor, stage 3 AFE intake, and MBRP 4' inch exhaust. The truck runs great and has tons of power. I love the power of a diesel and the torque. I still own two gas trucks though, just couldn't get rid of them lol.
Here's the 1993 K3500. Don't let the picture fool you, it was rough.
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448847168.642093.jpg
My 2006 2500HD Duramax
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448847238.080774.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448847282.314008.jpg
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448847383.986695.jpg
A group photo. 1996 Chevy K2500, 2005 Chevy Duramax, and my 1986 Chevy C30 flatbed dually.
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448847460.073988.jpg

·
15,000 +posts!
19,608 Posts
My older brother had a '93 GMC K2500 with the 6.5 turbo and the NV4500,that year was the only one that had a lower first gear ratio than the rest..it was a good truck,plowed like a bulldozer,got decent fuel mileage,and he liked it a lot--sold it to a friend after having it several years,when it got quite rusty all over..

He bought a used 2002 GMC 3/4 ton HD with a Duramax and Alison transmission to replace it..he loved that truck a lot,the engine had some real torque even in bone stock form...the only issues he had with it was the transfer case had an oil pump made into it,that developed a problem,I guess it was common for them to hog out the case and actually cut a groove in the housing,and leak ATF all over the undersides of the truck..he ended up buying a new tailshaft housing for it..then learned later Kennedy Diesel sells a repair kit for about 60 bucks to fix that,but he thought the housing was too far gone for it to work..housing was a bit over 200 bucks from GM dealer...

That truck he ended up selling after 5 or so years--like the other one,it too suffered from rust on the frame,backing plates,etc...he needle scaled the entire frame and brush painted it,replaced all the rusted brake lines and other metal lines,backing plates,and decided to sell it before it rusted again--he also had some issues with red silt in the fuel system,probably from some lousy fuel he picked up somewhere--knowing the early Duramax's had injector troubles and were a bear to replace,he decided it was time to let it go.....he regretted selling it a lot ,but he did get nearly what he gave for it when he bought it..

I would probably never buy a newer diesel...I like the old mechanical injected "simple" ones,that'll run on a lot more than just diesel fuel..I know guys who run used ATF,motor oil and fryolator oil in their old diesels,I haven't been that brave to try it in my trucks..but would if there was an emergency and fuel was unavailable..

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
HEHE... I'm a diesel

My old 2000 7.3 Workhorse.

I used it every day for six years for work. After getting put back together a couple times by the insurance, I lost interest in the truck and decided that if anything major (engine/trans/etc) were to go wrong, I was getting rid of it. Well, a couple years ago, the turbo started leaking at the exhaust shaft seal. I rebuilt the turbo and re-installed it in -20C weather. The exhaust oil leak was fixed, but I damaged a mounting pedestal o-ring, and oil was now running down the block. I had it, it was time for a change.

Adopted this one and dropped the work topper into it, 2008 6.4

My 96 F250 7.3
Unfortunately it is now much rustier than in the pic.

I have plans to drop a VW TDI into my Ranger in the future too.

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
HEHE... I'm a diesel

I used it every day for six years for work. After getting put back together a couple times by the insurance, I lost interest in the truck and decided that if anything major (engine/trans/etc) were to go wrong, I was getting rid of it. Well, a couple years ago, the turbo started leaking at the exhaust shaft seal. I rebuilt the turbo and re-installed it in -20C weather. The exhaust oil leak was fixed, but I damaged a mounting pedestal o-ring, and oil was now running down the block. I had it, it was time for a change.

My 96 F250 7.3

LOVE the O.B.S! I just bought a 6.9 IDI myself, i'm offically an IDIot!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The 6.4 has around 175,000 miles on it.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,608 Posts
HEHE... I'm a diesel

My 96 F250 7.3

I saw a Corvette with a VW TDI transplanted into it for sale on craigslist in the past year!..guy coupled it to a toyota 5 speed manual trans..claimed it "still goes right along and gets 30+ mpg"...:dunno:

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,608 Posts
I found a few listings on google with more info about that Vette...just type in "TDI Corvette" and you'll see some articles about it..
Its one of those conversions that makes you say "hmmm...neat,but--WHY?...like the Vette that has a 6.2 diesel swapped into it...who wants a sluggish,smelly Vette ?.."but you can cruise around all day on 2 gallons "...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I saw a Corvette with a VW TDI transplanted into it for sale on craigslist in the past year!..guy coupled it to a toyota 5 speed manual trans..claimed it "still goes right along and gets 30+ mpg"...:dunno:
Funny you mention the Toy 5 speed. That's what I will be using for my conversion.

I found a few listings on google with more info about that Vette...just type in "TDI Corvette" and you'll see some articles about it..
Its one of those conversions that makes you say "hmmm...neat,but--WHY?...like the Vette that has a 6.2 diesel swapped into it...who wants a sluggish,smelly Vette ?.."but you can cruise around all day on 2 gallons "...
Drop a Duramax in that sucker and watch the rear tires disintegrate.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
That wasn't the most desirable vette and it is pretty rough but still:dunno: He put a VW in it and actually expects to sell:sidelaugh

·
Registered
39 Posts
HEHE... I'm a diesel
Yeah...you are.:D

05-07' headlights, grill, and bumper...08-10' mirrors...clear clearance lights...3 gauge pillar pod...looks like a Banks Engineering badge. Was there any underhood mods?
Well, a couple years ago, the turbo started leaking at the exhaust shaft seal. I rebuilt the turbo and re-installed it in -20C weather. The exhaust oil leak was fixed, but I damaged a mounting pedestal o-ring, and oil was now running down the block. I had it, it was time for a change.
One issue after the other can get discouraging. Sorry to hear.

My 96 F250 7.3
Your 08' and your 96' look really good.:fing32:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
05-07' headlights, grill, and bumper...08-10' mirrors...clear clearance lights...3 gauge pillar pod...looks like a Banks Engineering badge. Was there any underhood mods?
No, no Banks badge.

Being it was a truck for work, I kept it close to stock for reliability. IDM mod, 4" turbo back exhaust, filter bowl delete/regulated return fuel system, and a 6637 air filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice...05-07' and 444E badges.

Those are good, reliable mods.
I've got the 4" turbo back and AFE Intake(among other stuff), but, I can't do the bowl delete or regulated return because I live in one of the countys of Cal, that has smog emissions.

Anyways, like your trucks.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Looks good. Neat tune switch. :fing32:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Austen,

Top of the line gauges. Nice choice. I like what you did with the switch to fill the last pod.

Do you plan on painting the 4 gauge pod to match the interior?
There was a 2 gauge pod in my truck that was stock black, when I got my 4 gauge pod, I painted it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Austen,

Top of the line gauges. Nice choice. I like what you did with the switch to fill the last pod.

Do you plan on painting the 4 gauge pod to match the interior?
There was a 2 gauge pod in my truck that was stock black, when I got my 4 gauge pod, I painted it.
Hey Rich, thanks for the kind words. Nice setup yourself! :thThumbsU Thanks for the pic. What year is your truck?

You know, I thought about painting it but since the exterior of the truck is black and there's also some black trim in the interior, I'm just going to leave it the way it is. I may paint the passenger side a-pillar cover black so that it matches the pod.

41 - 60 of 355 Posts