My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 355 Posts

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I just bought a 51 hp Kubota engine out of the junkyard that came out of a Carrer Reefer that rolled over. The engine had low hours. I'm putting it in a HG Oliver Cletrack. I don't have a clutch so I'm going to drive a hydraulic pump to a hydraulic motor with a foot control leaver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Love ANYTHING diesel powered! Don't have a diesel truck YET but in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. What is this beast you ask? A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it. The 77' is the best because they were the only factory pickup truck to come with full hydraulic steering! !

No highboy ever had full hydraulic steering. They had power assist (garbage), or the standard recirculating ball gearbox.

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
Power assist is what I meant. And not they are NOT garbage, in any way, shape, or form!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Pretty much the entire automotive and Offroad community disagrees. They have half the power of a normal power steering box. They're a bear to steer at a stop. The joints on the assist cylinder wear easily, and they're prone to leaking.

A 2wd steering box conversion does wonders for the old highboys.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It's hard to beat the sound of a buzzin dozen. I miss our 8v92.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,601 Posts
Since the 12V53 never was really put in "production",the HP and torque ratings are not listed,one diesel forum I googled claims they made 412 HP,no torque specs,I'd guess close to 1000 ft/lbs...the site didn't specify if that was for a turbo or twin turbo,or naturally aspirated either...

All I know is it sounds awesome!...:D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Found some glamour shots of my 82' form last year's winter season. Wearing it's "snow gear" so to speak. Used it today to haul a tandem axle trailer of foam insulation home. Wasn't even a workout for the ol truck. After that trip we put the snowplow back on it for this season. I have to flush the hydraulics for this season year, but the plow is installed and working. Something I want to do next year is to raise the bed up about 3 inches to give me a bit more clearance on the rear wheels. Over the summer I treated it to new tail lights, a new heater fan, shiny new front calipers, and a new master cyl & brake booster. New calipers were $37 while the rebuild kits were something like $32 & had to be ordered. ...no brainer there. The master cyl & booster I pulled from my previous pickup before it got scrapped out.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
That's a mean looking old rig. Nice flatbed as well. I like the "beater" style it has to it. Rough around the edges (I mean all of this as a compliment) but reliable in any conditions. It doesn't hurt that I'm a Ford guy, long live the old Fords!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
No offense taken at all, it's part of the charm I say. For a rig that old, it still looks pretty good I think. Oh, and that flat bed is solid 4"x4" oak, sitting on a pair of 6"x4" oak rails above the rear frame. It might look all gray and rotted out, but it's just patina, haha.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Would love to have another diesel powered truck. I ordered a 86 Chevy K5 full size blazer with the 6.2 diesel w/auto the lowest gears I could order it with as I was using it to pull my car trailer with.
At about a year old the posi let go so when replacing it I went with 4.11 gears front & rear with stock 31” tall tires and this made the truck a lot better to drive but nothing like a gas powered trucks. At just about 100K and needing a full exh system I went with a Gail Banks exh system hooked to one of his turbo kits. Now this made the truck drive just like a gas powered one and a lot of fun to drive. Well at 16 years old, 230K on the clock, the body needing work like floors put back in for the 3rd time, A/C not working and needing a 2nd injection pump rebuild it was time for a new truck to pull my car trailer. At the time if you wanted a diesel you had to come up with 5k more over a gas one and diesel fuel more than gas price I went with a gas truck/suv.

Now that I moved south and older trucks don’t rust out like up north I will be looking for an older P/U to haul stuff with and if I find one with a diesel great other wise I may look into a Cummings 4BT swap as my brother in cali has done a few swaps and loves them.
Dave ----

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is my 00' F350 7.3L.

1381899273_zps1f7e7d80.JPG

While keeping the exterior pretty much stock, I've done a few modifications to the engine and transmission with more to come.
All mods geared toward beefing it up for towing 5er with fishing boat through the mountains.

Won't be going back to a gasser for towing.

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
Progress has been made on my Highboy/Diesel build! Found a MINT 76', In Maryland. Finalizing the deal now! It currently has the 390 V-8, BB, and a 4 speed Borg-Warner T-18. Keeping my eye out for a 6.0 with a 2wd tranny for cheap. These trucks came factory with a divorced transfer case, Which is pretty cool! Gonna put a flatbed on it, (No bed now). And run some BIG 44x18x15 Interco TSL IROK's!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Whatcha gonna do with the good V8 and other parts?
(Hint hint, find an old Falcon and build a gasser :fing32:)

Good to hear that you're making progress with it!

Remember, when you get it, :wwp:

·
Registered
867 Posts
We have 2 2006 6.0L Power Strokes at work with over 100000 miles on them and the only non maintenance repair so far has been high pressure standpipe "O" ring replacement. Both vehicles gradually started to crank longer then normal on a hot restart because of high pressure oil leaking by the "O" rings. The new "O" rings were an updated design with backer rings.

21 - 40 of 355 Posts