341 - 355 of 355 Posts

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #342

·
Parts collector
2,769 Posts
Cool truck BUT why didn't he put a powerjoke in it and keep it Furd? :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
I wondered why they did not put the body on a Ford chassis too. It could be that a big, wide, V8 diesel just wouldn't fit underneath the hood or had required much more extensive body fabrication in order to do so. In fact even in the inline-6 looks pretty crammed in there. There's probably a reason why they did the remote air cleaner on the fender as it wouldn't fit underneath the hood. The turbo looks like it almost comes into contact with the fender. Or maybe he just wanted the simplicity of the mechanically injected 12v and all the reasons why we like them. :)

·
Parts collector
2,769 Posts
I wondered why they did not put the body on a Ford chassis too. It could be that a big, wide, V8 diesel just wouldn't fit underneath the hood or had required much more extensive body fabrication in order to do so. In fact even in the inline-6 looks pretty crammed in there. There's probably a reason why they did the remote air cleaner on the fender as it wouldn't fit underneath the hood. The turbo looks like it almost comes into contact with the fender. Or maybe he just wanted the simplicity of the mechanically injected 12v and all the reasons why we like them. :)
I will say it is hard to beat the reliability, simplicity, and power of a 6bt. Heck even the 4bt's can be tuned to pump out 300hp and 500ft lbs of torque.

I have a 79 Ramcharger that was never going to be road worthy and had no title that I turned into an off road rig. It has a built 360 in it but I would love to to put my D60 axles under it and drop a 4bt in it.

here's a pic of it and my first gen first Cummins truck.

Attachments

·
16,230 Posts
Talking about BIG trucks--class 7 and 8--I 'understand' third hand that CAT is and will dis-continue manufacturing truck engines. Haven't seen anything else about that, however...

glenn

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #347 (Edited)
I will say it is hard to beat the reliability, simplicity, and power of a 6bt. Heck even the 4bt's can be tuned to pump out 300hp and 500ft lbs of torque.

I have a 79 Ramcharger that was never going to be road worthy and had no title that I turned into an off road rig. It has a built 360 in it but I would love to to put my D60 axles under it and drop a 4bt in it.

here's a pic of it and my first gen first Cummins truck.
A couple of nice vintage Mopars there! Nice looking setup. :thThumbsU

I like your Ramcharger, those are cool trucks. Any more pics?

Your plans for it remind me of this truck here. https://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/30/cummins-diesel-swapped-1978-dodge-ramcharger/

I actually drove this exact truck four years ago when it came up for sale here in Seattle. As mentioned on BAT, it was built by a guy in Canada who has done others similar to this, I think I was actually in contact with him once via email too. I've seen and driven quite a few Cummins power swaps and this truck was by far the cleanest swap I've ever seen. It truly looked like it came from the factory this way. He even retained the factory gas pedal which compared to most use the one that came off the donar Dodge truck. Anyway, the guy who bought it and brought it into the States here in Seattle said he put no more than like ten miles on it and just let it sit in his driveway for a year a more without driving it. When I took it for a drive, I believe it literally was the first time it had been on the road since then. The brakes were frozen and had to break free after I put it in reverse to back out of his driveway, tires were low, etc, but the 12v fired right up like it had been nothing. He wanted something like $15k for it, the clear coat on the right side was peeling bad and the body just looked a little weathered as he had not done a thing to it other than buy it and let it sit in his driveway. Other than that, it was straight as can be, interior, probably 9-9.5/10. What a truck. As a soon as I started driving it down the road, I quickly understood why he had only put about 10 miles on it. As much as I appreciate and love the sound of diesel engines, the noise inside with the top on was like an echo chamber. To drive it with the diesel motor and the top on, you'd need put some sound deadening and make a custom headliner for the top. He rode with me and we couldn't ever talk unless we were at a stop and the engine was idling; no radio would drown out the noise. I'm sure driving it without the top on would be a non issue but here in Seattle where it rains a lot and you need the top, I'm sure that's why he was selling it. Very cool truck though and worth the time to make perfect.

Talking about BIG trucks--class 7 and 8--I 'understand' third hand that CAT is and will dis-continue manufacturing truck engines. Haven't seen anything else about that, however...

glenn
I know they got out in 2010 producing OTR engines after announcing in 2008 due to increasingly tighter emissions regulations.

·
Parts collector
2,769 Posts
A couple of nice vintage Mopars there! Nice looking setup. :thThumbsU

I like your Ramcharger, those are cool trucks. Any more pics?

Your plans for it remind me of this truck here. https://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/30/cummins-diesel-swapped-1978-dodge-ramcharger/

I actually drove this exact truck four years ago when it came up for sale here in Seattle. As mentioned on BAT, it was built by a guy in Canada who has done others similar to this, I think I was actually in contact with him once via email too. I've seen and driven quite a few Cummins power swaps and this truck was by far the cleanest swap I've ever seen. It truly looked like it came from the factory this way. He even retained the factory 'gas' pedal which compared to most which use the one that came off the donar Dodge truck. Anyway, the guy who bought it and brought it into the States here in Seattle said he put no more than like ten miles on it and just let it sit in his driveway for a year a more without driving it. When I took it for a drive, I believe it literally was the first time it had been on the road since then. The brakes were frozen and had to break free after I put it in gear to back out of his driveway, tires were low, etc, but the 12v fired right up like it had been nothing. He wanted something like $15k for it, the clear coat on the right side was peeling bad and the body just looked a little weathered as he had not done a thing to it other than buy it and let it sit in his driveway. Other than that, it was straight as can be, interior, probably 9-9.5/10. What a truck. As a soon as I started driving it down the road, I quickly understood why he had only put about 10 miles on it. As much as I appreciate and love the sound of diesel engines, the noise inside with the top on was like an echo chamber. To drive it with the diesel motor and the top on, you'd need put some sound deadening and make a custom headliner for the top. He rode with me and we couldn't ever talk unless we were at a stop and the engine was idling; no radio would drown out the noise. I'm sure driving it without the top on would be a whole different story completely but here in Seattle where it rains a lot, I'm sure that's why he was selling it. Very cool truck though and worth the time to make perfect.

That's awesome! I know a guy in WA that did a 4bt swap in his 78 Ramcharger. No intercooler, 4 speed auto with the stock axles.

I can imagine how loud it was in there. They did produce them with the perforated masoite headliners in the hard top.

I have had 8 pop top Ramcharger/Traildusters, I still have a 77 big block RC and an 80 TD 318 4 speed out back. My 17 year old wants the 80 TD. I have a black convertible top for the 77 waiting for the day I redo that one. I had a 78 TD I did a frame up resto on with a white convertible top on it. Unfortunately "oak tree you're in my way" happened one night when a buddy feel over on my arm turning me off the road.

That trail rig has stock suspension and axles with 37.5 tires. I still need to tie the roll bar in a bit more and put gussets in it but it flexes very well. Has a sure grip in the rear so it does well on the trails.yes it is deep. I started going in but the tires disappeared and the hood started going under so I backed out after the fan turned into a boat propeller. :tango_face_grin:

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,769 Posts
Cool pics, thanks!

Your username sure is appropriate.
Look at my sig. I've been driving mopars since 1984. I've had more trucks than I care to think about, vans, cars, all mopar. I have had one Datsun pickup I got for really cheap redid and traded it for my first TD. Then I went diesel, a 1990 W250 Dodge standard cab, I did dabble in 2 Merc 300TD wagons for 4 years before I got my 93 CTD club cab 8ft bed. I still have the one Merc wagon, the other one I stripped for parts and sold the engine/trans to a buddy that dropped it in a 96 Dakota ext cab long bed and used the Merc trans with a divorced 203 T-case. It has so much torque it keeps breaking engine mounts, burns rubber when it shifts into second gear. :tango_face_devil: Those little 5 cyl diesel Mercs are awesome. 27mpg, run on anything and have power for a truck/car under 4Klbs. :thThumbsU

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #353

·
Parts collector
2,769 Posts
341 - 355 of 355 Posts