My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Are you one who lives for the smell of diesel on a cold morning? Perhaps you depend on one daily for your business. Maybe it's the raw and sinister torque that only a diesel could deliver that has had you hooked and you've grown into the diesel hobby on a recreational basis. Whatever it is, you've come to the right place for all general diesel discussions.

Please keep in mind that posts which include any brand bashing will either be edited or deleted. If you don't like it, don't share it! Let's keep this thread focused towards the enthusiasts' angle as much as possible so that we can all have a good time. :thanku:

I'll start the thread off sharing that I drive '99 7.3 Ford Powerstroke with a 6 speed manual. I had always dreamed of owning a diesel truck all off my life. The sound they make, the power and longevity really intrigued me. I chose the truck I have now as it checked all the boxes of a particular configuration I was after. Being an older truck, it has nowhere near the bells are whistles of any of the modern common-rail diesels but that's one of the things I like about it best. It is noisy, a bit crude around the edges, and fairly simple.

I'm already wondering what my next diesel project will be down the road. Something tells me it will be a Cummins that is possibly a swap into something vintage.

So, let's see your diesel vehicle ,or, why you appreciate them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We just launched the next generation Titan Diesel. The Cummins in it is sooo quiet and it doesn't take long, a few seconds at most to start...

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
A couple of my Duramax resting...:)

Attachments

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
Love ANYTHING diesel powered! Don't have a diesel truck YET but in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. What is this beast you ask? A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it. The 77' is the best because they were the only factory pickup truck to come with full hydraulic steering! I absolutely love this bodystyle. My plans for it would be to swap in 1 ton axles, from an 04' up, so it has the 170mm bolt pattern, drop in a built 600-800 hp Powerstroke, and put a built Suncoast 5 or 6 speed manual behind it! Wouldn't be a show truck, probably would spend its life mostly off-road, but cool none the less! As for newer trucks, even ones that HAD emissions crap, they can be pretty badazz too. My neighbor's buddy has a 2012 F-350 6.7 Powerstroke, that was BUILT and I mean BUILT! It dynos at 893 RW HP, and 1,400 ft. Lbs of torque! Top speed you ask? Fast enough that when he drives by everyday, I can't ever get a video of it. 163 mph is the highest he's gotten it to! The truck is sick! Only problems with it are the fact that he's snapped over 20 driveshafts!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just launched the next generation Titan Diesel. The Cummins in it is sooo quiet and it doesn't take long, a few seconds at most to start...
It's pretty cool to see diesel engines making their way into the 1500 series truck class. :fing32:

Do you work for Cummins or Nissan?

A couple of my Duramax resting...
Nice rigs! I'll bet that the flatbed is real handy.

Love ANYTHING diesel powered!

...in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it.
You and me both! Oh man, that would be an awesome build! When the day comes, be sure to post it here. :fing32:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Love ANYTHING diesel powered! Don't have a diesel truck YET but in the next few years I hope to build my dream truck. What is this beast you ask? A 73'-79' (Preferably 77') Ford F-250 Highboy, with a built 6.0 powerstroke in it. The 77' is the best because they were the only factory pickup truck to come with full hydraulic steering! I absolutely love this bodystyle. My plans for it would be to swap in 1 ton axles, from an 04' up, so it has the 170mm bolt pattern, drop in a built 600-800 hp Powerstroke, and put a built Suncoast 5 or 6 speed manual behind it! Wouldn't be a show truck, probably would spend its life mostly off-road, but cool none the less! As for newer trucks, even ones that HAD emissions crap, they can be pretty badazz too. My neighbor's buddy has a 2012 F-350 6.7 Powerstroke, that was BUILT and I mean BUILT! It dynos at 893 RW HP, and 1,400 ft. Lbs of torque! Top speed you ask? Fast enough that when he drives by everyday, I can't ever get a video of it. 163 mph is the highest he's gotten it to! The truck is sick! Only problems with it are the fact that he's snapped over 20 driveshafts!

Stay away from the 6.0l , 6.4 better , 6.7 best , with 6.0 you'll definitely get to know it inside out :/

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
I don't see why some people have issuse with the 6.0 and others don't. It would be bulletproofed long before it turned out 850 hp. The 6.4 had intercooler and computer problems and the 6.7 is insanely expensive to get all the emissions crap off, which is necessary if you want them to run good.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
6.0s get too much bashing in my opinion, you see plenty of them around. I personally think a 6.9 would be cool in a truck of that vintage, but hey, its my opinion and its your truck, so do what you like with it! I'm part of that rare breed that prefers gas engines in pickups, but in anything larger, bring on the diesels!

Wouldn't mind building me an old 50s international COE powered by a 220 Cummins paired with a 5 speed and a 2 speed rear, it wouldn't be fast, but it'd look and sound cool and be fun to drive! Make a gooseneck hauler out of it. I like old diesels and old COEs. There's a roller that would be great for the build on ebay but it's way too far and too much money for a highschool kid.

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
They DID make factory highboys with the 6.9, reason i'd drop a 6.0 in there is A. Turbocharged, B. Easier to find parts for, and C. Much more available to mod them with!

·
Registered
308 Posts
2 of my buddies own 3 6.0's between them all 3 are parked with injector/ head gasket problems . All diesels are expensive to build , and they all have problems , just the 6.0 seems to have more than its fair share .

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
That's why you bulletproof them. After that, no problems!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I get ribbed for the old 6.9 in my '83 F250 4x4 /4spd. But I love that thing. Someone along the way went through it top to bottom and did a right good job on it too. It doesn't miss a beat. Starts even in the dead of these hard MN winters, and has pulled anything I can hitch it up too. I even plow snow with it.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,604 Posts
I'd like to have a old chevy 4x4 with a Detroit Diesel stuffed in it,and a 5 (or more) speed manual transmission.....wouldn't mind if it were a '55-'57 Stepside,or a '60-'66 era truck,or the '67-72 and newer "square body" style..

Yeah,I know there'll be some remarks about how leaky,gutless,and environmentally unfriendly the old 2 cycle detroits were--but in my opinion they sound the best,out of all the different diesels ever built...and in a light truck,even the smallest 3 cylinder version would probably do well towing..

Check out this truck that was built not far from me ...I love the sound of this one..:D..makes my old 6.2 sound like a stonecrusher.

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get ribbed for the old 6.9 in my '83 F250 4x4 /4spd. But I love that thing. Someone along the way went through it top to bottom and did a right good job on it too. It doesn't miss a beat. Starts even in the dead of these hard MN winters, and has pulled anything I can hitch it up too. I even plow snow with it.
Nothing wrong with that at all, it sounds like a nice truck! I'm sure it's nearly indestructible. :fing32:

Nissan... At the plant where they are built...
Very cool!! It must be a very interesting and remarkable time in the companie's history to be there right now.

I'd like to have a old chevy 4x4 with a Detroit Diesel stuffed in it,and a 5 (or more) speed manual transmission.....wouldn't mind if it were a '55-'57 Stepside,or a '60-'66 era truck,or the '67-72 and newer "square body" style..

Yeah,I know there'll be some remarks about how leaky,gutless,and environmentally unfriendly the old 2 cycle detroits were--but in my opinion they sound the best,out of all the different diesels ever built...and in a light truck,even the smallest 3 cylinder version would probably do well towing..

Check out this truck that was built not far from me ...I love the sound of this one....makes my old 6.2 sound like a stonecrusher.
That would be an awesome setup! You can't beat the unmistakable and very unique sound of a Detroit diesel. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
770 Posts
I love Detroit diesels, probably the most anti-EPA engine ever built. Even though I love them, I'll admit, if there isn't oil under it, there isn't oil in it. Still really cool and fairly reliable engines.

I like most any older diesel, but I have a thing for older Cummins engines, like 220s and 250s, the non-turbo ones with the back-dump manifolds just have a certain sound that's pleasing to the ear, and the ones that didn't even have superchargers made a real nice smoke show. Am I the only one that likes them?

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even though I love them, I'll admit, if there isn't oil under it, there isn't oil in it.
:sidelaugh

Good way to put it.

I like most any older diesel, but I have a thing for older Cummins engines, like 220s and 250s, the non-turbo ones with the back-dump manifolds just have a certain sound that's pleasing to the ear, and the ones that didn't even have superchargers made a real nice smoke show. Am I the only one that likes them?
I love the lope at idle!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We were not looking for a diesel but needed a pickup to pull a small fifth wheel. A plain Jane 2wd 05 Ram came along at the right price and we couldn't be happier, we have since upgraded the trailer and the truck doesn't break a sweat. No better than a gasser on fuel around town but on the highway it really shines. Other than an a/c pump clutch and the heater (which will cost a bundle to get repaired I'm not tackling removing the dash) it has been flawless.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Common rail Cummins for a daily driver (not exactly stock :drunkie:), diesel garden tractors, diesel compact tractor, and soon to be some CAT diesel power around here. If it stays around here, and it's not diesel, it's because they didn't/don't make it in diesel form (vintage Deere garden tractors, weedeater, chainsaws, etc).

Personal and work trucks have always been diesels. Love the smell of diesel and everything about 'em. :rauch10:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I saw a 66 International 3/4 ton 4x4 pull into a car meet this summer, it didn't sound quite right. Powered by a Cummins 24 valve 5.9, it caught some attention. The install almost looked factory, he had done an excellent job. With original gearing, that thing would likely climb a tree if the bark stayed on.

1 - 20 of 355 Posts