My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
I thought I'd post this CL ad that I just came across. It's located a few towns away (my grandfather's birthplace). It was just another Gravely ad until I saw that one word (diesel)! I'm trying not to think of how neat it would be to bolt onto the 430.:tango_face_smile:

https://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/6024849932.html
You KNOW you want it. You KNOW it would be a thing of beauty. You (and we) KNOW you checked the Gravely Piggy Bank to see if you can afford it. You (and we) KNOW you gave serious thought to a starting point for a counteroffer to the asking price. You (and we) KNOW you already calculated the resale offset resulting from putting the unwanted bits on eBay.

You KNOW.

We KNOW

You KNOW we KNOW

We KNOW you KNOW we KNOW

There. How was that?
:sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikey, you're not this any easier!:sidelaugh I really don't have the space. I'm probably going to try finding out what that engine is, and how the seller adapted it to the transmission though. Always good to know.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, I think you're right, John. I should have enlarged the engine pic sooner, but the engine turns out to be a Lombardini. I did a little more research. Lombardini was bought out by Kohler, so these engines are now available in the U.S. through Kohler.

I brought up their 2 cylinder 23 hp diesel engine specs here: http://www.powertechengines.com/LomData/12LD477_GB.pdf

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I think i know why it is for sale. The weight of the engine is so great that the snow plow won't rest on the ground. That would make the tractor miserable to use. That could be corrected with some plow weights. However, the ground clearance under the engine is reduced from stock which further reduces the tractor's utility.

If the 50" deck is any indicator of the quality of work done to adapt the engine, then GAK what was done.

That 50" deck needs to be scrapped.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think i know why it is for sale. The weight of the engine is so great that the snow plow won't rest on the ground. That would make the tractor miserable to use. That could be corrected with some plow weights. However, the ground clearance under the engine is reduced from stock which further reduces the tractor's utility.

If the 50" deck is any indicator of the quality of work done to adapt the engine, then GAK what was done.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.
Umm, my C10a with no extra weight on the plow sits like that...all the Kohlers are balanced tail heavy. I had to add 30#s of steel to to blade to get it to have a decent balance.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
However, the ground clearance under the engine is reduced from stock which further reduces the tractor's utility.

Yes, the deck looks like it's had it, except for the wheels. I'm not sure about compromised ground clearance, unless the seller altered the underside of the sulky hitch weldment. It's hard to tell what is underneath, but what is visible appears to be unaltered from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
You could not give me a top hat mower regardless of condition.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Too bad there is not more fascination with marrying one to a G-series 4 wheeler.

·
Master Cranker!!!
15,043 Posts
Too bad there is not more fascination with marrying one to a G-series 4 wheeler.

I've had quite a fascination for quite some time. Obviously, there are some hurdles to overcome, but to my thinking, if you wanted the ultimate Gravely, it would be diesel and it would be 4wd.

Dave, I have a smallish air cooled Lombardi diesel in stock. Came off one of those road sign trailers. Let me know if you decide you might want to try something.

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had quite a fascination for quite some time. Obviously, there are some hurdles to overcome, but to my thinking, if you wanted the ultimate Gravely, it would be diesel and it would be 4wd.

Dave, I have a smallish air cooled Lombardi diesel in stock. Came off one of those road sign trailers. Let me know if you decide you might want to try something.
I might have to stop by, and take a look.:fing32:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts