My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new 2520, got to now keep diesel fuel onsite. Hate to be running to the gas station every week to fill up a couple 5 gal gas cans with diesel, so I have been looking at some of the 30 gal diesel fuel caddies.

What are you guys out there using that don't have large farms with onsite large storage tanks?

If a 30 gallon unit is the way to go, where is a good place to purchase at a good price?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
They sell 5-gal diesel fuel cans at parts stores and farm stores (they are yellow)

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
We use two 5 gallon yellow plastic diesel containers. When the grass is really gowning, we go through about 5 gallons every other week. So, about once a month I go to the local Super America gas station and get them both filled. The only tax free farm diesel close by has a minimum purchase of 50 gallons. I don't want that much sitting around collecting moisture, so I stick with the 5 gallon cans.

Currently, I am working on a gas station on wheels. Kids are all grown up, so I'm taking their Flexible Flyer wagon, painted it yellow and green, and mounting the two 5 gallon containers inside. I have a fuel transfer pump and I can pump the fuel right into my 2320. It worked surprisingly well as a mock up, so I have high hopes with the finished product my wife will be able to fuel the tractor when I am gone on assignment.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I already know about the yellow 5 gallon cans, but that is not what I have in mind. That is what I am already doing.

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
Having gotten my first tractor about a month ago I considered the same thing. I asked a friend who is a "real" farmer how he handled fuel for his big Massey. He said he uses fuel cans. I said that it can't be very efficient and he told me that he had a large fuel tank on a frame but it collects water so quickly that his down time and repair bills were enough to make him fill jugs and haul them to the door yard to fuel his tractor. I figured if Ed does it, I will too. I do like the idea of transfer pump though and will have to look into that.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
With my new 2520, got to now keep diesel fuel onsite. Hate to be running to the gas station every week to fill up a couple 5 gal gas cans with diesel, so I have been looking at some of the 30 gal diesel fuel caddies.

What are you guys out there using that don't have large farms with onsite large storage tanks?

If a 30 gallon unit is the way to go, where is a good place to purchase at a good price?
If your only going through 5 gals. a week, I would stick with gas cans. The 30 gal. unit will last you just over a month. Then how are ya going to fill it?? Fuel trucks might not want to mess with only 25 gals. a month, then their might be a service call to deliver that amount. Whats the 30 gal. unit gonna cost? The 5 gal gas cans are paid for. A used 500 gal on a farm sale will run you at least $300-$400 and just a bit more if its got a pump on it. Thats just my $.02.

I bought a used 500 gal. with pump on a farm sale about 5 years ago for $200!! Thats a steal!!! First year I used it the fuel prices jumped big time. I saved over $600 throughout the year on fuel that year!! :drunkie: Now I burn around 700-800 gals a year through my 2520 and 997. 500 gal is the way to go for me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a 50 gallon aluminum fuel tank tool box combo in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
if i were to do a setup, i would take a big 20ish gallon fuel tank from a boat or car, mount it to a trailer and use a transfer pump of some kind, but that can be pricy, another idea would be to take a 30ish gallon tank of some kind put a tap with a valve on it about 1 to 2 inchs above the bottom so you dont get any water in your fuel, and put it up about 2 feet off the ground and then fill your little cans with it

as for how do you get it to the station and back use the bucket on the tractor to load and unload

just an idea not sure if its what you want

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would really like a 45 Gallon drum at home however the rules here are such that it's next to impossible. We use the Yellow plastic cans, a 14 gallon Flo N' Go Portable unit and for the excavators I have a 200 gallon tow unit, although generally there is a CUT with the excavators so we kill two birds with one stone.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Seems everyone is doing something a bit different. I have been looking at the 25-30 fuel caddies with a transfer pump. These range anywhere in price for $307 (no pump) all the way up to $650. 5 gallon cans may be cheap, but they are a pain to hold up over the 2520's hood and pour in. Transfer pump for a 5 gallon can seems silly to me. Can always lift the fuel caddy out of the truck with the loader and I can not see collecting that much water in a month. They do also make 15 gallon fuel caddies, so maybe that would be the better way to go, but that is really only about 2 fillups on the 2520. Still thinking on this one.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
In my situation, I always plan everything so my wife can perform the duties in my absence. At an age where we are discussing if we should take early Social Security or not, lifting the 5 gallons of fuel @ 7 pounds per gallon is 35 pounds is too much for her to lift and pour in the poor location John Deere put the fill cap. Hauling a full 35 gallon (225 pounds) "gas caddy" would be impossible for her to get out of the truck. I always have to keep it KISS when designing projects.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
If you have a diesel furnace you may be able to tap into that tank for a fuel source. Another option would be to find a tank of suitable size to set on a stand and use a gravity system to fill the tractor. Since you have the FEL it could be used to set the tank in a pickup or trailer for filling as has been mentioned.

Whatever method you use I would suggest adding a Racor or similar water separator/filter to the fill hose. Clean fuel makes life a lot simpler.

I've found there are many fuel tanks available for use in boats. They seem to make a variety of sizes and shapes for marine applications and the quality of the tanks is quite good.

Another suggestion I would echo is not going too large with the size tank you purchase. Condensation forms in the empty portion of the fuel tank and the less open area available the less water problems you will have. At least that has been my experience.

I sure understand about not wanting to wrestle with the portable fuel cans. Now that they have come out with the "new and improved California spouts" it's even more of a hassle. I've converted my dedicated tiller tractor to using a portable boat tank so I don't have to spill gas all over the engine a few times each day. Going to be converting other equipment as well. Very handy to be able to swap tanks and not have to pour gas at home, just fill the boat tank at the service station and plug it in for use.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
843 Posts
I believe very often we males suffer from an ego slump when we think of doing something the easy way. The fuel pump is in my eyes a great idea even with small 5 gallon tanks.
I have a different story than "BigD". I bought a 50 cc chainsaw 2 years ago. I bought it with a decomp valve. Everybody said "whimp, etc." but my thinking was "maybe my girlfriend will need it when I am not home...". What happenend was that I hurt my shoulder and wasn't able to pull on that chord for 3 months without extreme amounts of pain. I could have never started that saw without that decomp valve! It was at that time that I was cutting up the winterload of firewood for my parents in law. Without that decomp it would have been a cold winter for them in the Austrian Alps!

A little here and there stepping down from the macho horse is not a bad thing to do!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would look into a 50 gallon fuel tank (check out Agri supply or TSC) and a manual or electric pump. In store price on the 50 gallon tank at Agri supply is $189 and you should be able to pick up an 8 gpm electric pump for around $200 (manual for less than $100). With this set-up, your CUT should be able to load/unload the tank, as well as move it around when necessary. If you have pallet forks for your tractor, just build a skid/pallet base and then you can move it to a truck or trailer very easily (of course most of them have lifting rings too, so your FEL bucket will work too).

·
Registered
668 Posts
55 gallon drum with a hand pump. I have on the 3/4" outlet a filter to keep any junk out and this last me just about the summer months then I load it up in the spring and hit the non tax off road pump at the local G-station.

·
MTF Poster
41 Posts
I too got tired of running to the station with 5 gallon cans. So I bought a 150 gallon raise farm fuel container with a filling hose. Its a gravity systems so no pumps are required. It has served me well and I have it filled every 12-18 months with off road deisel. I have the fuel treat with an anti-gel as the winter can get a bit harsh here. But no problems and no more running to the station in a blind blizzard for fuel. I did haul cans for a couple of years then did the metal drum for a year or so. But the fuel companies typically won't come out unless you buy 100 gallons. However, I did haul the drum to the station to fill it a couple of times a year. But I ended up paying more for the fuel as they didn't off road fuel. But the tank works like a champ and I just pull up to it, fill my tank as if I were at a gas station and I am on my way. You can get on of these tanks on craig's list for a 200-300.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
I too got tired of running to the station with 5 gallon cans. So I bought a 150 gallon raise farm fuel container with a filling hose. Its a gravity systems so no pumps are required. It has served me well and I have it filled every 12-18 months with off road deisel. I have the fuel treat with an anti-gel as the winter can get a bit harsh here. But no problems and no more running to the station in a blind blizzard for fuel. I did haul cans for a couple of years then did the metal drum for a year or so. But the fuel companies typically won't come out unless you buy 100 gallons. However, I did haul the drum to the station to fill it a couple of times a year. But I ended up paying more for the fuel as they didn't off road fuel. But the tank works like a champ and I just pull up to it, fill my tank as if I were at a gas station and I am on my way. You can get on of these tanks on craig's list for a 200-300.
With fuel going to ULSD...and your fuel sitting that long, make sure you also add an algaecide...;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts