My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,521 Posts
How does the engine die? Is it as if you turned the ignition switch off, or is it as if the engine doesn't have enough power to get the deck going?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I which the batteries to one with like 12.9 and it still does but it dies like it’s out of gas and kinda back fires when engaged, have not got to the switch under the frame yet.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,188 Posts
The only switch under the fender deck on my 185 is the neutral safety switch that makes you hold the brake pedal down to start it. The only safety I recall that affects the PTO is the seat switch and you’ve already ruled that out. Have you inspected the PTO wiring for a chafing short? I’m also wondering if maybe the voltage regulator fried and the PTO is dragging down the electrical system when engaged.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The switch that might be hiding between the frame rails is the switch for sensing if you're stepping on the reverse pedal. I don't know if the that was a thing in the days of the 175 or 185. Do those models have the engine kill if PTO is on and you try to move in reverse without operating a yellow button or switch ("RIO" it's called)?

·
3,188 Posts
The switch that might be hiding between the frame rails is the switch for sensing if you're stepping on the reverse pedal. I don't know if the that was a thing in the days of the 175 or 185. Do those models have the engine kill if PTO is on and you try to move in reverse without operating a yellow button or switch ("RIO" it's called)?
175 is not a foot pedal hydro and no RIO. Speed control is a lever on the fender deck. No RIO is one of the reasons I kept my 1988 185.

·
3,188 Posts
Schematic Font Rectangle Parallel Engineering

And then again I could have been wrong. The PTO safety switch may be the one hiding under the fender deck. I don’t remember this one but the last PTO wiring gremlin I had was on my 160 about 20 years ago. I don’t know or remember where this PTO switch lives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only switch under the fender deck on my 185 is the neutral safety switch that makes you hold the brake pedal down to start it. The only safety I recall that affects the PTO is the seat switch and you’ve already ruled that out. Have you inspected the PTO wiring for a chafing short? I’m also wondering if maybe the voltage regulator fried and the PTO is dragging down the electrical system when engaged.
No not yet it’s on my list to check, I’ll let you know the results, thx

·
Registered
991 Posts
And then again I could have been wrong. The PTO safety switch may be the one hiding under the fender deck. I don’t remember this one but the last PTO wiring gremlin I had was on my 160 about 20 years ago. I don’t know or remember where this PTO switch lives.
I wouldn't have expected another "PTO/Safety Switch" hiding somewhere without the RIO. But I guess that's how it enforces the safety rules on that model. Interesting! I'm only familiar with the newer stuff that uses a set of relays (100 series) or the ECM unit (X300+).
Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question cause I’m new to riding mowers and John Deere’s and probably should of said this before but the ignition switch is bad so I have to jump it to start it, could that cause a problem sending a signal to the pto switch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts