My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I finally got my 30" rotary deck working, right now it has 2 blades on it and a bunch of grease inside, gets the job done I guess. I will probably upgrade to a single heavy blade to do more brush work. I was having trouble engaging it, but you just gotta put a glove on and JAM it in! The deck works good, and even with bad blades it cuts right through 1/2 inch broadleafs like they're not even there. I'm real happy with it. The tractor runs great and handles the deck very well. Here are some pics of the damage...lol

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Looks like it is mowing well. I have never run the dual blade setup but I have always wanted to just to see the difference. Of course, I us the heavy blade for all of my brush work, but I have always used the heavy blade for any lawn work too. It did a good job, but I'll bet the dual blade would work a lot better on the grass.

There are some photos and messages over at the Yahoo Gravely Club on using some aftermarket linkage to build a remote PTO linkage. I found the photos:

Linkage 1

Linkage 2

I tried searching for the message that listed the part numbers, but Yahoo search is a joke and I could not find it.

Somewhere in the messages are the part number used. They came from the McMaster-Carr catalog that is available at http://www.mcmaster.com/#

I ordered some parts from them to build a throttle linkage and received great parts and great service.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're probably seeing my dad's Honda St1100 sport touring bike. It's a nice motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
The dual blade set-up on a 30" rotary deck does a great finish mowing job - but if you have a large area to mow, it does take a while. But hands down, NOTHING BEATS brush-hogging work with a heavy bladed rotary deck attached to an L - still a blast! And the looks received from people passing by is priceless.........................

·
22,321 Posts
I love the looks on people's faces when they hear that the machine only has 7.6 horsepower! Sometimes it does take a while to convince them too.

It's a real shame that Gravely didn't adopt the "Nothing runs like a Deere (Gravely)" slogan first.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know exactly what you mean! A year ago, I wouldn't have even touched anything with less than 10 horsepower. Now I've got 3 6.6 horsepower tractors and I'm a believer. Gravely's trick is a big long stroke motor and automotive grade parts. It really does work in a narrow rpm range but that's good.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I'm trying to remember where the PTO control is. The right handle levers are Hi-Lo, F-R, right? The ones I used had the Kohler engine. I think there was a rod that ran back to the operator from the PTO box.

·
22,321 Posts
That is correct. The PTO is on the very front of the machine at the end of the implement neck unless it has a remote PTO. It will be on the left handlebar beside the gas tank.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love those old "made in WV" Gravelys. Good work!

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Was just out today doing some brush-hoggin' with my old '64 L8 - acquired from a guy who was going to scrap it if I didn't buy it, even though it had been his dads. Nothing is invincible when that 30" rotary mower says "Hi" !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts