My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all , alittle while back i bought a john deere 100 , as you can see the hood is MIA at this time and the carb is gone but fortunately i have a few spares , also the mower deck/houseing is rotted badly , i am going to go some time soon and ask the po if they have the hood , the questions i have are as follows (1) with the shape this thing is in was the $50 i paid too much ? , (2) how hard is it to find parts for theses ? (3) can this handle a small front snow blade ? , heres some photos 111120_004.jpg 111120_002.jpg , thanks for any comments

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
For a collector they are perfect;; as There are not of them or there parts around;; I must ask WHY do the IDIOTS take the hood off. They think it cools better, WRONG;; the one I rebuilt I had to make an Aluminum hood out of .062, It worked out just fine , I sprayed the inside with undercoating To help keep the noise down. Priced about right.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
WOW! I had no idea that tractor even EXISTED! Kinda looks like an evolutionary sidetrack for Deere! A "round fender" design, with an engine setup similar to the 108-111 series of lawn tractor... I dunno, I'dve taken it for $50, but I agree, I bet parts are gonna be hard to find... According to the JD Parts site, the 100 can handle:

1008 - 34 Rotary Mower
1009 - 32, 32A, 321, 338 and 38-Inch Tractor-Mounted Snow Throwers
1010 - 38-In., 40-In. and 401 Front Blades
2111 - 1 and 2-Bag Power-Flow Material Collection System
2660 - 36-Inch Lawn Roller
2661 - 40-Inch Thatcherator, 40-Inch Aerator Spreader, 40-Inch Spiker Aerator, 40-Inch Plug Aerator

So, interesting! Same range of attachments as listed for the 80's vintage 160-185 family... I THINK its an electric PTO, from looking at JD Parts, but its hard to tell...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You weren't necessarily taken if you were a collector or needed parts for another 100. But, if you bought this as a "fun, low buck project" then....yeah.

I hate to say this...but that thing is too far gone. Unfortuately that family of machines (60. 70, 100) are pretty few and far between. As a result, used parts are rare and new parts are also rare as there was little demand to cause JD to keep them. There may be some things there you could part out and get your $$$ back. Or sell it as is for parts.

Yes, they will handle a blade. But poorly given the small tires. You'd be better off taking the $500 this thing will quickly consume and buying a used later model JD to push snow with, like a 111, 160, or even a L100.

Sorry, my $0.02

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Here's where I disagree with Engine_Tech. I would get one of theses :14_6_5:

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well spank my Butt Betty. If that man has a wife, he is in deep Du Du when she finds out. Even with me being the man of the house, I would be in deep Du Du. Part that thing out quick. Put it on craigslist and use the words( very rare ) many times and lie like ****. Good luck you will need all you can get. Boy I am glad I am not in his shoes. :sidelaugh :sorry1:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sorry too many parts missing or completely rusted out to make a profit or use as a "toy"

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I disagree with most. I think it can be brought back to life. thing is, it'll take time and work and some cash. I have started with a lot worse, check out my 112 restoration thread. most parts are still available from JD. dont believe me? call. I did. out of sheer curiosity, and a lot of parts are still available new. the parts guy was as shocked as I was when I asked him to look up a gear out of the transaxle for a model 70 (similar, if not same transaxle), and it was available new. There is a hood for a 100 on ebay now, the buy it now price is $45. not bad id say. Oh, guess what? its also available from JD (im sure its pricey though). Id say strip it down and slowly rebuild it from the ground up. as you get some spare change here and there, order the parts you'll need as you work on it. Sure it'll cost some money, but you'll have a great project out of it and when its done, something to be proud of. something that most of us only wish we had. good luck! if not, ill give you $50!

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
:thThumbsU
I disagree with most. I think it can be brought back to life. thing is, it'll take time and work and some cash. I have started with a lot worse, check out my 112 restoration thread. most parts are still available from JD. dont believe me? call. I did. out of sheer curiosity, and a lot of parts are still available new. the parts guy was as shocked as I was when I asked him to look up a gear out of the transaxle for a model 70 (similar, if not same transaxle), and it was available new. There is a hood for a 100 on ebay now, the buy it now price is $45. not bad id say. Oh, guess what? its also available from JD (im sure its pricey though). Id say strip it down and slowly rebuild it from the ground up. as you get some spare change here and there, order the parts you'll need as you work on it. Sure it'll cost some money, but you'll have a great project out of it and when its done, something to be proud of. something that most of us only wish we had. good luck! if not, ill give you $50!
thanks for all the information and comments , i am sure it will need some work time and money but i was thinking if i budget say $250 to redo the tractor would that be fair ? or would that make it be a bigger money pit , i probably am not going to try and do anything to the deck just put it in storeage , if nothing else i can get a nicer one and use this for parts , i will keep you in mind if i end up selling it , thanks

Well spank my Butt Betty. If that man has a wife, he is in deep Du Du when she finds out. Even with me being the man of the house, I would be in deep Du Du. Part that thing out quick. Put it on craigslist and use the words( very rare ) many times and lie like ****. Good luck you will need all you can get. Boy I am glad I am not in his shoes. :sidelaugh :sorry1:
nope i am not marryed , if you look at my sig you can tell:thThumbsU

WOW! I had no idea that tractor even EXISTED! Kinda looks like an evolutionary sidetrack for Deere! A "round fender" design, with an engine setup similar to the 108-111 series of lawn tractor... I dunno, I'dve taken it for $50, but I agree, I bet parts are gonna be hard to find... According to the JD Parts site, the 100 can handle:

1008 - 34 Rotary Mower
1009 - 32, 32A, 321, 338 and 38-Inch Tractor-Mounted Snow Throwers
1010 - 38-In., 40-In. and 401 Front Blades
2111 - 1 and 2-Bag Power-Flow Material Collection System
2660 - 36-Inch Lawn Roller
2661 - 40-Inch Thatcherator, 40-Inch Aerator Spreader, 40-Inch Spiker Aerator, 40-Inch Plug Aerator

So, interesting! Same range of attachments as listed for the 80's vintage 160-185 family... I THINK its an electric PTO, from looking at JD Parts, but its hard to tell...
thanks for all the information and that link

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
You have some serious work ahead of you. This is my 78 JD100 after restore. It came stock with a Brigg's 8hp engine. Mine was smoking and the carb was shot, so I went with a 10hp power plant from Small Engine Warehouse. Bad thing is, the side covers won't clear the 10hp and that is why they are not on the machine.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
How similar is this tractor to a 112H?

I bought a 112H to get the hydraulics from it. Engine is blown and the tractor is well used but not rusted. It has a model 42 front blade that has been hacked on to add power angle, a model 47 mower deck, a model 31 tiller and a broken hood.

Have no idea how it is as far as transmission or other running gear.

According to the owners manual it was originally purchased in 1968. I also have the owners manuals for the attachments listed.

I'm not going to be rebuilding this tractor, it's out in the "dead line" awaiting a new owner. Either in pieces or as a whole unit.

I checked the ignition on the engine and found it to be junk when another member ask about it some time back.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The 112 you bought is classified as a garden tractor, whereas your 100 is a lawn tractor. I have two 110's which are the same tractor as your 112. The 112 is a lot more capable tractor. Search for my jd 112 resto thread!

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I would restore the 112H, I would give the 100 to the next kid passing by. The 100 hoods are next to impossible to find in decent shape. They threw it away because it broke. The 60's and 70's at least have the 110RF hood. I gave away a snowblower for that a couple of weeks ago. I saw a NOS snow blade sell awhile back at an auction for $150 ish. If it were in decent shape I'd say save it. It isn't. Find yourself a round fender 110 in similar or better shape and spend the same amount of labor fixing up something that will turn heads and work for a living. Saleens 100 looks fantastic, but how many people would pay 110 money for it?
On the other hand, if you really like it. And I mean more than a 110, then by all means redo it. You will lose your rear if you ever want to sell it, but you would probably lose money on any restoration anyway. You restore them to keep, not sell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts