My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, I bought today, a new Simplicity Legacy XL-4 WD-54" mid mower, it is powered by a Kohler, air cooled engine, should I have purchased a water cooled one instead?? Is there alot of difference in these two types?? How about service life, etc., What can I expect??- What should I do??
Thanks,
Bob in Maine ( I plan just to mow with this, about 4 very hilly acres):fing20:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and enjoy the new tractor and it's too late to worry about it now any way. Some like the air cooled engines and others prefer the liquid cooled. either way you got a real nice tractor. slkpk

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

I know nothing about Simplicity, but as far as an air cooled engine, as long as you keep it clean and free of dust/grass/debris buildup, it will last a good long time.

I'm sure that the Simplicity guys can and will steer you in a more clear direction that I can though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Liquid cooled is a nice thing to have , but adds to price . As was said , if you keep the engine clean of debris on an air cooled , it will last just as long as a liquid cooled .

Now , if you were going to be really working the tractor hard , in scorching heat , it might make a difference . But Maine is not known for desert like temps .

Good and consistent maintenance will make sure the engine performs well and lasts a long time . Just look around on this sight to see many air cooled original tractor engines still running strong after 30-40 years of use .

Btw , you bought a real nice machine . Simplicities are top notch and I think you'll find that they don't/wouldn't put an engine in that will die on you in a few seasons . Enjoy the tractor . I'm sure you'll have it for a long time .

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I had a LC John Deere LX178 and when I traded it off I said no more I want air cooled.Reason for this was it was leaking from the water pump and the only problems I ever had with it were coolant related.Never again it aircooled for me:fing32:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new tractor.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have the Legacy XL with the Kohler and have 210 hours on it and no problems at all. Like the others said just keep it clean with the debris and grass. When I get done mowing I pull up by the garage and pull out my air hose and blow it off and make sure to keep the oil cooler filter clean.
Welcome to the site and enjoy your new toy.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Air cooled is ----- Cool! Air cooled engines have been around many decades, and work and last just fine. As mentioned, keep the fins and cooler clean. Simpler is better, without the water pump, radiator, expansion tank, hoses, etc. If you were using it commercially, all day, every day, then liquid cooled might pay. But for homeowner use, I think you'll be fine. I have a Conquest that I work hard, and its air-cooled Vanguard works just fine. Enjoy your machine, and color me green with envy!

Oh, and :Welcome1:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had both. Had a 2001 Legacy with a 23 HP Kohler and now I have a 2006 Legacy XL 4WD with the 27 Kawasaki, front end loader on both. For what I used it for, there wasn't a whole lot of difference. Run quality and power were never an issue with the Kohler. The 2001 Legacy's transmission did have a hi and a low range and I primarily used it in the low range. That may have made the Kohler seem like it had more power than it really did but either way, it seems really close.

I would guess life expectancy of the Kohler to be 1500 hours and probably in the 2000's for the Kawasaki. I'm put'n about 75 hours on per year so for me, life expectancy isn't an issue either. If you think you're gonna rack up the hours, then it may.

Bottom line, I think the Kohler is a good engine and right now, nothing has jumped out at me that the Kawasaki is that much better.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
:Welcome1: and like most things simple, they work great and have less issues, look at lawn boy 2 strokes for example:trink39: :trink40: i think you made a good choice! hope you'll be able enjoy the tractor for a long time

:greendr: :greendr: :greendr: :greendr:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the air-cooled engine. My advice would be to stick strongly to the scheduled maintenance on the engine, maybe even changing the oil a little more frequently.

Kohler has good press and bad, so I'd be on the proactive side of maintenance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts