My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my 7 year old and her 3 cousins tubing this morning on a local pond. 2 lane launch ramp with a pier in the center. Real nice set up. Got everyone onboard and headed out. With all the excitement with the kids I wasn't paying attention to my depth sounder (BEEPIND LIKE CRAZY) and slipped into 2 feet of water. (the captain took a dirty beating from the OLD MAN about this blunder) I wish I'd have gotten the memo about real shallow water just to the left of the ramp and out into the pond. My 3 blade prop has sustained some damage. Luckily the gear case is fine and no wierd vibrations so I kept going. We logged 32 miles of screaming kids and a few adults (my mom included) having a blast out there. Probably the most fun we've had with the boat in the 6 or 7 seasons we've used it. 3 hours went by fast and the kids were starting to get cold (goose bumps and teeth chattering) so we called it a day. They all want to go again next weekend. Have to see about that..... :trink39:

Just got back home and rinsed everything down.

Have to get an estimate on repairing it or just buy a new one. Chalk it up to experience.

·
Father of 8!LordHelp'sMe!
738 Posts
Looks like aluminum, they can rebuild those once, then you have to buy new. Heard its a lot cheaper too, something less than half I think.

·
Banned
2 Posts
it happens ..I clipped a stump with mine 2 days ago it was just under the water saw it at the sec bent my prop and reverse is not engaging all the way ...Think i screwed up the dogs in there will see this weekend when i take it apart

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Very nice boat! :fing32:You would not have any problems with the kids getting cold here.LOL We have been under a heat advisory since yesterday here in East Texas.

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice boat! :fing32:You would not have any problems with the kids getting cold here.LOL We have been under a heat advisory since yesterday here in East Texas.
I'm glad we're not in a heat advisory. we're getting a nice break from the humidity, 75 or so mostly sunny. Feels nice not to sweat through a shirt walking out of the house. :trink39:

·
Super Moderator
31,894 Posts
Props are expendable. :D :D

I wore mine down quite often. It was not so much hitting stuff, but where I tie up, and some of the inlets are pritty shallow. The sand bottom grinds them right down!

Good to hear you had a nice time.

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't really upset over the prop. I think it was $100 or so from Yamaha. I'll get one this winter, for now I'm going to just use it a few more times and put it up for the season. I have to pull the leg off and change the water pump anyhow, or at least inspect it for wear. It's original since we repowered it 5 or 6 years ago. Very few running hours overall so I haven't bothered changing it. I have the pump already on the shelf and I'll pick up a thermostat. Swap the prop while I'm at it. :trink39:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had to chuckle at the thought of teeth chattering. Like the other poster, we've been under a heat advisory every day now for probably a month. Heat indicies of 110+ are an every day occurrence now.

Try fixing up an old tractor when you're sweating so bad you can hardly see and when you stand up you have a headache and are dizzy, and that's from doing nothing but painting or sanding. Yes, those are the first symptoms of heat exhaustion.

It's not a joke out there, guys. Let's keep it safe and take breaks often and drink plenty of fluids!

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I had to chuckle at the thought of teeth chattering. Like the other poster, we've been under a heat advisory every day now for probably a month. Heat indicies of 110+ are an every day occurrence now.

Try fixing up an old tractor when you're sweating so bad you can hardly see and when you stand up you have a headache and are dizzy, and that's from doing nothing but painting or sanding. Yes, those are the first symptoms of heat exhaustion.

It's not a joke out there, guys. Let's keep it safe and take breaks often and drink plenty of fluids!
:ditto::ditto: I have several projects I need to do with tractor. Think I will wait til it cools down some...hopefully October.:praying:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
NOTE To Self:

Cancel plans to go out with Captain Mike at the MTF Mod get together out on the Cape next week ..

:praying: That Paul still has room on his boat :fing32:

Glad you all had a great time :thThumbsU

Wanna wreck some props ?? Come to the Jersey Shore ..sand bars move locations daily :fing20:

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

It's been a really hot and humid summer this year. The news reported almost 30 days over 90 degrees. Nothing like the 100 degree stuff you guys are getting but still no fun to be outside with all the humidity.

·
Super Moderator
31,894 Posts
It's been a really hot and humid summer this year. The news reported almost 30 days over 90 degrees. Nothing like the 100 degree stuff you guys are getting but still no fun to be outside with all the humidity.
Ya, its been a hot one. Defently one for the books this year!!! Realy though... I kinda like it. :fing32: Ya... I need to move south!!

Im hoping for low 80's during the day, and low 60's at night next week. :D

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, its been a hot one. Defently one for the books this year!!! Realy though... I kinda like it. :fing32: Ya... I need to move south!!

Im hoping for low 80's during the day, and low 60's at night next week. :D
I hope you get your wish :trink39:

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I had the damaged prop repaired and another prop re-pitched. We'll see which one works better as soon as I get the water pump squared away. That turned into a bit of a headache. I just got through sending a parts request to Tohatsu / Nissan Marine for a new lower water pump housing that has corroded pretty badly. As usual it's July and the boats not ready to go. :banghead3

Just ordered the parts, boy that was a fast reply to my request, 15 minutes and $125 w/ expedited Fed Ex 2-3 day air. Be here for the weekend!! :drunkie:

Can't blame the engine at all. The lower unit was freshened up when I put a new power head on it 7 years or so ago, but aside from the new bearing carrier, water pump and seals, it's original 1994 vintage. The engine and gear case have been spot on reliable and I have no worries that after this repair it'll continue to be. Here's a few pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looks like a great boat. Sounds like it was fun for everyone except the guy that has to pay for the parts. We had boat access vacation property for 15 years and I don't miss the cabin but I miss owning a boat. I am looking for one again to take the kids fishing. The only boat I own is a damaged/repaired one that I leave on a remote fishing lake about 8 hours north in northern Manitoba.
I hope you have good weather to have many more days out on the water this summer!

sanfordanddaughters

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the parts in for the lower unit Friday and I'll get together with my boat mechanic friend to get the lower unit back together this week.

So I decided to give the trailer a once over while I had a little time to goof off in the driveway. Holy Crap :thSick::banghead3 .... just forward of the axle on the right frame rail is rotted out completely on the bottom. The trailer is scrap iron now, the rail is way to far gone to repair SOOOOOOOOOO.... it's haul out the wrecked spare trailer with good axle and frame rails and cobble together something to get by with until a new trailer is in the budget. Glad it's only July, I was affraid I'd miss boating season altogether. So much for goofing off outside........ :fing20:

The redeeming quality is that it didn't fail on me while I hauled the boat all last season. I was on the highway quite a bit with it in tow and if the trailer fell apart it would have been messy, Not to mention costly, at 65 MPH!

·
10K and Climbin!
12,304 Posts
Got the parts in for the lower unit Friday and I'll get together with my boat mechanic friend to get the lower unit back together this week.
Lucky catch with the trailer BO!

Make sure you have the gear selector aligned properly when sliding the lower unit back into place.. Usual trouble spot there.. Is there a new prop axle seal in the parts list? Examine it closely while you have things apart.. Perfect time to replace it if needed..

Just a thought.. :goodl:

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks WNYTT , we'll have a peak while where at it. There wasn't any water in the gear case when I drained it. Back when I had it freshened up w/ the new powerhead, I had a brand new OEM prop shaft bearing carrier w/ seals installed in the lower unit. Hopefully there won't be any more problems......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts