My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely go in Dicks anymore since they wimped out and pulled certain types of firearms from their chains, and destroyed them, but every once in a while I stop in because they seem to have some really good ammo prices when they are on clearance.

Now, the deals I found were not advertised on their website, but if you go in their stores, all of the Federal ammo is on 20% off clearance. I was mainly looking for .22lr because, I can never have enough, and the two best deals they had were CCI Blazer lead round nose bricks of 500 rds for about $17, and the Federal Black Pack of 1600 rds for $55 after discount. With tax, the federal 1600 rd pack was $59.50 for me, and that is about 3.7 cents a round. I have never found 22 that cheap- usually 5 cents a round is a good deal. They had other good deals, so if you want to stop in the still have 9mm, 40, 45, shotshells, and host of other calibers too.

The best part about the 1600 rd black packs, is that the ammo looks identical to a CCI Mini Mag hollowpoint with a "F" stamped on the head. They are packed in 32 boxes with 50 rounds per box.

If you look at the 1100 rd black packs, it is the standard federal bulk loose .22lr hollowpoints, and not the better stuff that comes in the 1600 round packs.

Check out my video on it...

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It actually would not surprise me if Dicks phases out guns and ammo at some point, no idea... The guys at the Dicks near me didn't seem to think so, but many manufacturers won't sell to Dicks anymore.. They can't even sell Mossbergs anymore except what they have in stock.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I rarely go in Dicks anymore since they wimped out and pulled certain types of firearms from their chains, and destroyed them, but every once in a while I stop in because they seem to have some really good ammo prices when they are on clearance.

Now, the deals I found were not advertised on their website, but if you go in their stores, all of the Federal ammo is on 20% off clearance. I was mainly looking for .22lr because, I can never have enough, and the two best deals they had were CCI Blazer lead round nose bricks of 500 rds for about $17, and the Federal Black Pack of 1600 rds for $55 after discount. With tax, the federal 1600 rd pack was $59.50 for me, and that is about 3.7 cents a round. I have never found 22 that cheap- usually 5 cents a round is a good deal. They had other good deals, so if you want to stop in the still have 9mm, 40, 45, shotshells, and host of other calibers too.

The best part about the 1600 rd black packs, is that the ammo looks identical to a CCI Mini Mag hollowpoint with a "F" stamped on the head. They are packed in 32 boxes with 50 rounds per box.

If you look at the 1100 rd black packs, it is the standard federal bulk loose .22lr hollowpoints, and not the better stuff that comes in the 1600 round packs.

Check out my video on it...
I cant wait till they dry-up and go down the crapper. Maybe some of them can get a show on MSNBC LOL!

·
Super Moderator
31,538 Posts
Thats some good prices!! None of my stuff really likes those though sadly. My bolt rem will shoot anything... but when it doesnt like something, noone knows where its going to land on the target!! loves The win 333, and 555 pack stuff, so its cheap to feed..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats some good prices!! None of my stuff really likes those though sadly. My bolt rem will shoot anything... but when it doesnt like something, noone knows where its going to land on the target!! loves The win 333, and 555 pack stuff, so its cheap to feed..
I try to tune mine to shoot anything. At least my semi's I have had good luck polishing the bolts, keeping them clean, and oiling sparingly. Lucas Extreme duty gun oil is amazing stuff. I have had really good luck with teh 333 and 555 stuff as well, and usually pretty cheap on that stuff too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I cant wait till they dry-up and go down the crapper. Maybe some of them can get a show on MSNBC LOL!
Couldn't Agree More Gerrard!

My little Springfield model 15 single bolt doesn't like those 333's or 555's, nor the standard Federal bulk loose. Can't get consistency out of them. I've found all of those particularly dirty to shoot as well.
It does favor the high velocity CCI mini mag 40 gr solids and hollow points, as well as the Winchester standard velocity 40 gr lead hollow point. Has always seemed to shoot best with 40 gr bullets.

And... although I have to give kudos to GT for a good buy - I wouldn't purchase even a thimble full of water from Dick's if they were the last well on earth.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went back today, just to look and see what else they had, and they have Blazer .22lr 40 grain lead round nose 500 rd bricks for $16.17- thats 3.2 cents a round...it was marked down already, and marked another 10% off from that...

Had to buy some. That’s crazy, I bought three bricks for what one cost me four years ago.

Again, as much as I hate Dicks, I can’t pass up these prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Citizen of Earth
15,255 Posts
I thought Dick's got out of the gun business all together a few years ago. I haven't been in their store since then. My local Walmart was selling their ,223 rifle and all handgun ammo at huge discounts before New Years. I bought 2 boxes of Winchester white box .25 auto for $9 a box (usually $15). I went back after Jan 1st and the clerk said whatever was left was shipped back to HQ. I'm 63 years old and you would think that I would have learned by now when presented with a GREAT deal, that I should not scrimp, I should not hesitate, I should just empty my wallet and get all I can get at the time, because there is NEVER any left when I go back for a second try.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dicks said they were not going to sell "assault rifles" at any of their Dicks stores or Field and Stream stores. My Dicks never had Ar's anyway- Only .22lr semi and bolts, larger caliber bolts, shotguns, and ammo. They sell handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo, but not a huge selection, and it is usually pretty expensive.

These deals I just can't pass up. I may go buy 3 or 4 more boxes of this Blazer, and shoot up all the odd stuff I have. I used to buy anything I could that was between 5-10 cents a round back in 2014 and 2015. I have a bunch of odd stuff, random mixed velocity, lead and copper washed bulk stuff that is OK, but not the quality of this stuff. Dicks didn't have as good deals on calibers like 9mm and such, otherwise I would have bought a bunch of that as well.

Ironically, if you look on their website, they only have like Golden bullet, one bulk pack, and winchester super x listed. None of the stuff they're clearing out. I asked two sales guys if theyre not selling federal anymore, and he said he thought it was just leftover from the holidays. Huh, wonder why no one wanted to stock up on ammo at Dicks? maybe their name says it all?

Whatever, I am getting killer deals on it now, and when it dries up there, I will be happy I got a good deal. Sometimes they have great deals on older model guns though too. Got my 10/22 takedown there for $315 which when I bought it was about $70-85 cheaper than everywhere else.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,255 Posts
Well, I'm hitching up the wagon to go 20 miles to town tomorrow, I might as well stop in at Dicks and see if my store is having a sale on ammo. it'll be right after my $930 root canal, so I should be in a "wonderful" mood.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm hitching up the wagon to go 20 miles to town tomorrow, I might as well stop in at Dicks and see if my store is having a sale on ammo. it'll be right after my $930 root canal, so I should be in a "wonderful" mood.
Make sure you have them check the prices- My store everything on the shelf for prices was wrong/

·
Citizen of Earth
15,255 Posts
My root canal didn't go to plan, the &%$#@ tooth was infected so after drilling out the roots, he slapped a temp filling on it and told me to come back in 2 weeks after taking a bunch of antibiotics. So I didn't stop at Dicks. Went straight home and with a numb jaw, I got 12 hours of wonderful sleep with no pain in my jaw.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was in South Carolina last week, stopped at a Dicks, and they had a sign up “we no longer sell firearms or accessories”

I wonder how long that will take to spread....

Maybe they did it there because Palmetto State Armory, Academy, and other retails have a huge presence, but I’m betting it’s the start of things to come. Good riddance I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with the current mass hysteria and hoarding of ammo, I don't feel bad one bit buying what I did when I did from Dicks.

I'm not in a panic to stock up, I already did.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeh takes it where yeh can gets it Cranky ;)

Ordered a new Ruger Wrangler .22 from Bud's and it took only 3 days to get to my local FFL (He's running my 4423 as we speak). Ordered some Winchester sub-sonic .22 from Bud's 2 days before the Ruger and it still hasn't shipped. Go Figure...:rolleyes:

By the way, have a look-see at that Wrangler. Ruger came out with it just about a year ago. I only just discovered it myself. Paid under $200 from Bud's.
It's only a six shooter but, for the money - I couldn't pass it up! 😲

Renster

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Once I found out from my son who uses/used it that a azz load of our military equipment is made in China I pretty much threw up my hands on the subject. I think a lot of parts on out Abrams tanks are made there, dont quote me on exactly what it is they make but again they DO make a lot of stuff for our military. And I could never knock a dent or a pimple in anything if I spent a million a year. But heck I'll shoot their ammo and give it back to them if need be @ 3000 fps lol!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeh takes it where yeh can gets it Cranky ;)

Ordered a new Ruger Wrangler .22 from Bud's and it took only 3 days to get to my local FFL (He's running my 4423 as we speak). Ordered some Winchester sub-sonic .22 from Bud's 2 days before the Ruger and it still hasn't shipped. Go Figure...:rolleyes:

By the way, have a look-see at that Wrangler. Ruger came out with it just about a year ago. I only just discovered it myself. Paid under $200 from Bud's.
It's only a six shooter but, for the money - I couldn't pass it up! 😲

Renster
I have seen the wranglers, we have them locally for around $200 as well. I love the look of them, and would get one for the nostalgia cowboy look and feel.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Been a single action shooter most of my life. I'd have to think about how many I've owned over the years.
I do know that they've all been Rugers, and all in .44 Magnum caliber. I've had my Bisley Hunter for about 7 years now. It's my main deer hunting rig.
This will be the 1st .22 caliber single action I've owned.
Ordered a pair of rosewoods from Altamont and a MASC #1450 paddle holster for it as well.
I'm thinking that if I like the little fella - and I suspect that I will, it may end up as my grab gun for my frequent woods walks here. 🌲

Renster

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been a single action shooter most of my life. I'd have to think about how many I've owned over the years.
I do know that they've all been Rugers, and all in .44 Magnum caliber. I've had my Bisley Hunter for about 7 years now. It's my main deer hunting rig.
This will be the 1st .22 caliber single action I've owned.
Ordered a pair of rosewoods from Altamont and a MASC #1450 paddle holster for it as well.
I'm thinking that if I like the little fella - and I suspect that I will, it may end up as my grab gun for my frequent woods walks here. 🌲

Renster
I love Altamount grips. I ordered the Flour de lis wood inserts for my Ruger SP101 rubber grips, they're backordered for like 2-5 weeks before coronovirus so I have no idea when they're coming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts