My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any DIAL-type small engine tachometers? I know of the small digital tachs, but for purely aesthetic reasons, I'd prefer to have a small dial-type unit. One made to the standard 2 5/8 (or so) gauge size would be fine. Even if someone has one on a factory dash, I'd love to know about it as I could look for it as a repair part. I've even looked on some go-kart sites without luck.

I'm running a single cylinder Kohler which fires on every revolution. I'm guessing 4000 RPM Max on the scale would be plenty.

I've seen some small tachs for 4-6-8 cylinder engines that look good, but have 8000 or 10000 RPM scales. At 3000 RPM's, a single cylinder firing every rev or a two cylinder firing every other would be 3000 pulses per minute. A four cylinder car would be 6000 pulses per minute. Has anyone ever gone in and altered the electronics within the tach to re-scale the display? I'd love to hear how to do this. If I could re-scale a four cylinder setting down by a factor of four, I could add a new faceplate graduated for 4000 or 5000 RPM to make the most use possible of the needle sweep.

Am I on to something or just on something?!? :trink40:

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Some craftsman tractors have them. Sears sells replacements, but they are very expensive. If you search old threads about tachs, you can find the part number.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts