My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guy's, i have a 4 yr old dgt 6000 have had problems since day one. dirt not grass cakes under the deck on all sides and top. any sugestions on how to get rid of this problem???????? mower has 26 hp kohler.....thanks for all your help in advance flashj24

·
Registered
129 Posts
FLASH,

I have the same setup and I've always found it helps with the dirt buildup if I stop mowing dirt, especially wet dirt and clay!!!

Seriously, this particular deck seems to have a bad debris buildup problem. It seems to build up around the mandrels and at points where the airflow doesn't blow away buildup and leaves it around most of the shell except right above about the last 6 inches of the blades where the grass (dirt) is blown when it's cut off. It may just be a design flaw.

The most efffective cleaning method is removal and manual cleaning. I clean my deck a couple of times a month. In between times, I have tried making the deck "slicker" so the debris wouldn't stick with fresh paint and even graphite spray which didn't help much because the paint is worn off so much by the grass. I've also installed water injectors (helps a little) and most lately Gator mulching blades (helps more). I've also tried coating the underside of the deck with a thin coat of motor oil (with a paint brush). This also helps a little by making it harder for the debris to stick and helps prevent rust.

Mowing the grass when it's dry, or at least when it's not wet, seems to help the most, but grass is mostly always wet because it's so juicy, especially out East in places like Virginia where it's always green. I think that's why the Gator mulching blades seem to work so well, because they chop the grass up so fine. I've also run into people who tie their grass deflector up a litttle so the air flow is less confined, making the grass come out better and also dispersing it so it doesn't build little "wind rows" of mowed grass.

I'm going to keep trying to come up with a solution and I'll post on this forum it when I do.

Runningbare

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Runningbare, for getting back so soon......i am working another angle....have spare deck and i'm re-designing it by moving and re positioning the MANDRELS
am almost fnished..... bring the blades up closer to the top of under the deck......so wings are closer to the top....let you know how this works out............flashj24

1 - 3 of 3 Posts