My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I was putting her up for the winter- 3 cyl. diesel--changing oil etc. deck belts all in all check over. So I warmed it up some and drained oil,

Then I bumped the starter to just get all oil out ]dumb thing to do] while holding fuel shut off down--BUT after all summer running it the cable end decides to break at his time--So here I am with it running with no oil for about 15 to 20 seconds [going nuts] till I clamped off fuel line.

I use Schaeffer 5w-40 full synthidic oil in it ---SO did I do alot of damage???

·
21,369 Posts
While an oil pump can pump air, it doesn't really do a good job of it, and the oil pump draws oil from the sump and sends it on to the rest of the engine. Running the engine with an empty sump is not going to drain any more oil out of the engine.

Fifteen seconds with no oil is a long time. I wiped a main bearing in an Onan after about 15-20 seconds of running with no oil. The engine stopped abruptly. Pull the bottom end and check the main and rod bearings. Hopefully the residual synthetic helped.

Good luck!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How’s it sound? Ticking? Knocking?
I’m sure you didn’t do it any favors, but at least it had synthetic oil in it that might give it a chance.

I can safely say it isn’t a good idea to roll over any engine with no oil...
I did just this afternoon put oil in it--FIX the cable for shut-off--And cranked it over till got oil pressure then let it start--Sounds ok?

I did re-act the whole situation when it ran [no oil] --I started it-tried to shut off [like cable was broke] then I went got vice-crips and crimped fuel line and it stopped--I did all this in 10 seconds so I think it only ran maybe say 10 to 15 at most at idle but they do idle little high so I [think] I,m ok???

After all summer running it that darn cable had to break just when it did NOT need too--Sucks for sure but strange things can happen I guess???

·
blinged out
1,067 Posts
if that had been a cold start and running that long I'd be worried,but since you just had it running I'm sure there would be enough residual oil on the parts that you don't need to worry!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
You have filled the sump, cranked over and it ran without noise, so I'd go with 'it will be fine, continue winter preparation.' If it was not under load, running at a couple K, it should be fine. Oil carries heat, provides a 'wave' for the rods to ride on(no metal-to-metal contact when the wave forms), and then flows away. You didn't have time for much heat, and there was a residual layer of lube between bearing inserts and crankshaft journals that was not being forced out by oil flow from the pump, so it stayed put. Very rare to cause damage with a short run like that. IMO.
Consider how much lube is being thrown at 2T chainsaw and garden tool rod bearings. Not much. Though they are roller or ball bearings, it doesn't take a lot to keep them happy for a long time. There are better things to ponder on than this, so I'd suggest finding the next thing in line and moving on. Just my 2 copper clads.
tom

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have filled the sump, cranked over and it ran without noise, so I'd go with 'it will be fine, continue winter preparation.' If it was not under load, running at a couple K, it should be fine. Oil carries heat, provides a 'wave' for the rods to ride on(no metal-to-metal contact when the wave forms), and then flows away. You didn't have time for much heat, and there was a residual layer of lube between bearing inserts and crankshaft journals that was not being forced out by oil flow from the pump, so it stayed put. Very rare to cause damage with a short run like that. IMO.
Consider how much lube is being thrown at 2T chainsaw and garden tool rod bearings. Not much. Though they are roller or ball bearings, it doesn't take a lot to keep them happy for a long time. There are better things to ponder on than this, so I'd suggest finding the next thing in line and moving on. Just my 2 copper clads.
tom
Thanks, I kinda thought that but thats me--Wanted some outside input with this -- motor always carried around 50--54lbs oil preasure even when 85-90* outside mowing--so with the synthetic might helped? Will let it ride maybe after couple mowings in spring I,ll replace oil filter and cut old one apart to see???

What luck that darn cable broke at this time after all summer mowing lawns??

·
21,369 Posts
What luck that darn cable broke at this time after all summer mowing lawns??
Through the course of many winters, I have found that things that works fine in the summer quit working when the temperature drops significantly. The first 2 or 3 snowfalls of the season invariably resulted in downtime for the tractor. Usually due to the added stress of metal contracting in the cold.

For instance, a tension spring that work acceptably at 70° can break when the temperature drops to 10°. The lower temperature is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Springs, cables, pivot points, bearings, keys, and electrical connections are all susceptible. If they were the least bit iffy in the summer, the first go-around with lower temps meant that I had to take care of a repair job before the snow began in earnest.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Through the course of many winters, I have found that things that work fine in the summer quit working when the temperature drops significantly.
The first 2 or 3 snowfalls of the season invariably resulted in downtime for the tractor. Usually due to the added stress of metal contracting in the cold.

For instance, a tension spring can work well at 70° can break when the temperature drops to 10°. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Springs, cables, pivot points, bearings, keys, and electrical connections are all susceptible. If they were the least bit iffy in the summer, the first go-around with lower temps meant that I had to take care of a repair job before the snow began in earnest.
Yep--aint that the truth!! Live and still learn at our old ages--:tango_face_wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts