My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they’re not as good as an actual dethatcher machine but what I’d like to know is who’s used a blade type, what brand and what did you think of it?

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Geoff, if you need to dethatch your lawn I have a Bannerman detatcher. Works real nice. You just need a lawnmower with a bagger.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reedz...are you asking about the thing like a spring that attaches to a mower blade?
Yes, that’s one type. I’ve also seen one by Arnold that has plastic tines on it

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geoff, if you need to dethatch your lawn I have a Bannerman detatcher. Works real nice. You just need a lawnmower with a bagger.
I’m going to at some point this spring. I’ve got so many mowers I thought I’d just get a blade type and put on one and dedicate that mower for just dethatching

·
4,155 Posts
I have not even seen one of them for sale in at least 40 years...they just clipped on and were not very well made, but did a good job until it came off because of the bad design...if you were to dedicate a mower and permanently attach it would probably work quite well...all the better if you have a bagger on that mower...good luck with it...let us know if you do it and how it works out

·
Administrator
5,425 Posts
I just finished mine yesterday with the spring on the blade type. I used to put the blade on a push mower, but this year put 2 on my 36" deck of my Bolens ST120. I think it worked pretty good. I would throw it in rows and then hand rake the debris up. Took a ton of dead grass off, leaves, twigs etc. I set it up about 3/4" on a cement surface. It cut down the lumps in the lawn pretty good too. Rained last night and with todays warmth, the grass is starting to geeen up a bit

·
5,398 Posts
I have one of those blade types with the springs. Belonged to my folks. Not sure I have ever used in on my lawn, however I do remember using it at mom's many years ago. As I recall it takes a bit of trial and error to get the setting right to remove the dead stuff while leaving some lawn. Seem to remember having either the front or the rear wheels set lower by one notch. Can't remember which however. Did work well to remove a lot of dead stuff. Bill

Probably similar to this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts