My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deer L111 automatic Lawn Tractor. I started having issues after cutting grass for an hour The mower would start dying. It was due it's annual tune up. I replaced air filter, fuel filter, spark plug ( set the gap at 0.76 ), Changed the oil & oil filter, and the deck belt. I then cranked it up and tried it out. The mower felt like it had more power, so I proceeded cutting grass after an hour of mowing it started to die again. Keep in mind this is not due to thick grass. even with the blade off it still dies. It only runs with the choke all the way up and sometimes it won't stay cranked. I thought I had fixed the issue but apparently not. Has anyone had this same issue? If so, I really could use some guidance on where to look now. Please advise? Your help regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Needs the carb cleaned if it will only run with choke on take aprt and clean with carb cleaner hope this helps
Doug

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll second the carb issue.... Anytime on any equipment when you have to close te choke to get an engine to run the carb needs a good cleaning!

My Ariens had the same problem... Dealer wanter $130 for a full service or I could buy a new carb for $60. 30 year old blower runs like new now!!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
may also be a fuel-cap air vent problem.... if the carb is dirty, it would start dying in less than a minute after you start it (burn off the fuel in the bowl)... but it sounds like it's longer than that... you're building a mild vacuum in the fuel tank until the fuel pump can no longer pull fuel from the tank.......

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a John Deer L111 automatic Lawn Tractor. I started having issues after cutting grass for an hour The mower would start dying. It was due it's annual tune up. I replaced air filter, fuel filter, spark plug ( set the gap at 0.76 ), Changed the oil & oil filter, and the deck belt. I then cranked it up and tried it out. The mower felt like it had more power, so I proceeded cutting grass after an hour of mowing it started to die again. Keep in mind this is not due to thick grass. even with the blade off it still dies. It only runs with the choke all the way up and sometimes it won't stay cranked. I thought I had fixed the issue but apparently not. Has anyone had this same issue? If so, I really could use some guidance on where to look now. Please advise? Your help regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
i would guess and say FUEL CAP but i dont see to much of that.after it boggs down loosen cap and see if it runs different,dont take it off or fuel will come out unless you are low on fuel,then you could try it without cap on.

fuel is not getting to carb ,if not FUEL CAP,then its in carb.how old is mower and do you leave gas in it in winter.if its not very old and you dont leave gas in tank in winter,THEN ITS NOT A CARB PROBLEM.

·
Registered
204 Posts
may also be a fuel-cap air vent problem.... if the carb is dirty, it would start dying in less than a minute after you start it (burn off the fuel in the bowl)... but it sounds like it's longer than that... you're building a mild vacuum in the fuel tank until the fuel pump can no longer pull fuel from the tank.......
i had that happen on my sears mower.if not for glass fuel filter, i would have never thought of fuel cap.i always rec that customers buy a GLASS or CLEAR PLASTIC fuel filter to see what is happening.

on our mercury bassboat motors we all use clear fuel filters to see what is happening.it has saved us many of hrs of problems out on lakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, just in case you have not tried it yet, I can assure you it is the gas cap. Buy a new OE cap and toss the old one and no worries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread and one similar was a great help to me. After a fuel pump replacement I read thread, cleaned the dirt out of the vent hole on the cap, and everything and now I'm happy, happy, happy. Before the fuel filter wouldn't stay full, now it's full.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
This thread and one similar was a great help to me. After a fuel pump replacement I read thread, cleaned the dirt out of the vent hole on the cap, and everything and now I'm happy, happy, happy. Before the fuel filter wouldn't stay full, now it's full.
The fuel cap being plugged with dirt causes alot of these problems that mimic a variety of carb or fuel delivery issues, happened to me as well and was pleased that someone suggested cleaning the cap vent too :fing32:.

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,162 Posts
Are you sure about the spark plug gap? That seems huge. Are you sure it's not 0.030?
That would be 0.030". He's setting it to 0.76 mm. Looks okay to me.

Although MOST are 0.030", my 2004 L120 B&S is 0.040" and I'm sure it's not a typo, since it appears more than once in the owner's manual.

Paul

·
Registered
204 Posts
any small cracks in the rubber hose to vacuum can cause problems also.
i just found that on my JD .
the small rubber hose to to OHV case that uses vacuum to pull gas from tank was split on inside of hose from dry rot.
replaced hose .

·
Registered
23 Posts
any small cracks in the rubber hose to vacuum can cause problems also.
i just found that on my JD .
the small rubber hose to to OHV case that uses vacuum to pull gas from tank was split on inside of hose from dry rot.
replaced hose .
I had that same issue as this, but the symptoms were that it would run but only with the choke on. After I replaced the vacuum line it ran much better.

I suppose that if you had a gasket leak on the valve cover it would do the same thing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had that same issue as this, but the symptoms were that it would run but only with the choke on. After I replaced the vacuum line it ran much better.

I suppose that if you had a gasket leak on the valve cover it would do the same thing.

any time you have to use choke to keep something running it can be air leak somewhere or stuck needle in carb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts