My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today, I took a look at a 2003 Deere X475 with 62" deck and 530 hours. Right now, I've got a Kubota G1900S with 60" deck and 1230 hours. I just wanted to get some opinions about what I experienced.

The Deere X475 was nice and comfortable and was pretty clean. It started right up and ran smooth. When I took it for a test drive and cut some grass, I have to admit I was kind of disappointed. The ground was totally flat and the grass was maybe 6" tall or so (probably a little damp, but not soaked) and the tractor was definitely bogging down at anything even close to full speed. I almost think you would have wanted to cut at half speed.

I know that with my Kubota G1900S, I could have gone full speed and easily made it through this depth of grass without any bogging down.

Basically, I'm wondering if my experience is just the difference between a gas engine and a diesel engine, or a gas engine with 530 hours.

Even though the X475 was a good price, I decided to turn it down, as I know it just didn't have the cutting power of the Kubota G1900S.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm trying to figure out if I should just stick with looking at diesels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
A diesel will always make more torque than a similar gas motor. They are also much more fuel efficient. You would need to look at the JD diesel powered garden tractors to compare apples to apples.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hello,

Today, I took a look at a 2003 Deere X475 with 62" deck and 530 hours. Right now, I've got a Kubota G1900S with 60" deck and 1230 hours. I just wanted to get some opinions about what I experienced.

The Deere X475 was nice and comfortable and was pretty clean. It started right up and ran smooth. When I took it for a test drive and cut some grass, I have to admit I was kind of disappointed. The ground was totally flat and the grass was maybe 6" tall or so (probably a little damp, but not soaked) and the tractor was definitely bogging down at anything even close to full speed. I almost think you would have wanted to cut at half speed.

I know that with my Kubota G1900S, I could have gone full speed and easily made it through this depth of grass without any bogging down.

Basically, I'm wondering if my experience is just the difference between a gas engine and a diesel engine, or a gas engine with 530 hours.

Even though the X475 was a good price, I decided to turn it down, as I know it just didn't have the cutting power of the Kubota G1900S.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm trying to figure out if I should just stick with looking at diesels.

Thanks!
Hi ensign ,

When you say full speed are you referring to ( pedal to the metal ) , because
that Tractor will do about 8 1/2 MPH , that's just to fast to mow grass
IMO ...

I do agree with amigauser post , but you need to try that Tractor at half
speed ( half pedal ) IMO ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ensign ,

When you say full speed are you referring to ( pedal to the metal ) , because
that Tractor will do about 8 1/2 MPH , that's just to fast to mow grass
IMO ...

I do agree with amigauser post , but you need to try that Tractor at half
speed ( half pedal ) IMO ...

Later,x595
Yeah, I meant pedal to the metal. The Kubota G1900S is rated at about 8 1/2 MPH too. I know it's not always best to mow at that speed, but I was trying to compare the capabilities of the machine to mine.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a G1900 with a 60" deck and I have never seen a mower that will cut tall grass, whatever, like it does. I think the deep deck gives it an advantage in heavy grass. It can discharge a lot of cuttings and keep on going.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
You need to compare diesel to diesel and gas to gas for a comparison. I do things with my 24HP diesel that I wouldn't even attempt with a gas engine. It's all about the torque. slkpk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anything wrong with your 1900? If not i would just keep running it unless you just want a new toy. Sounds like its a grass mowing machine!

As far a gas vs. diesel, in my limited experience, there is really no comparison between the two. If you own a diesel now, i think you will be disappointed with anything else.

Thad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anything wrong with your 1900? If not i would just keep running it unless you just want a new toy. Sounds like its a grass mowing machine!

As far a gas vs. diesel, in my limited experience, there is really no comparison between the two. If you own a diesel now, i think you will be disappointed with anything else.

Thad
No, nothing wrong with the 1900. I guess I was just looking for something newer and more comfy. :)

However, my experience definitely has me reconsidering just keeping the 1900.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts