My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an engineer. I have an X300 that breaks belts. I have researched every tech article on the subject. I have replaced the mechanical pieces with Deere parts, I am aware of an issue with a lifting bolt hitting the belt. I finally suspect an improper dealer setup! there are two adjustments to the U device that connects to the front axle. The "keeper" bolts were never tightened! I cannot locate a true description of how to adjust the length of this assembly that affects the belt tension. NOT the front deck lift adjustment! Also, what is the correct belt tension? I have the tools for all. This is a very common issue with 2 blade decks. As an engineer, I am sorry I bought this.

·
blinged out
1,215 Posts
the deck belt is tensioned by a spring [john deere's favourite method}. I understand as an engineer you would like to have a belt deflection measurement but I don't think it's going to happen! the front bar adjustment has very little to do with belt tension ,more of deck leveling front to rear!
I think you need to have someone sit on the tractor with the deck engaged and raise /lower the deck watching what's happening to the belt might give you better insight into what the problem is!
my 2 neighbours have 2 blade decks and I don't think they've changed a deck belt in years! i have 2 three blade decks and they both have original belts and ones an 08!
I was never a fan of starting a deck at full throttle like the manual instructs. some machines require it ,others don't. my 500/54 will start the deck at idle,my 540/54 needs a shot of choke or raised rpm to engage without stalling!

·
Rich
413 Posts
Just last week I replaced my deck belt for the first time in 340 hours and 10 years. It was still working but had a large crack in it when I looked at it when doing the yearly clean and sharpen blades. On mine it will throw the belt off if in the fully raised position when engaging the pto - so I never raise the deck, leave it at mowing height all year round. Something on yours is wrong. My belt is really close to the right side deck hanger bolt but does not hit. If you need a picture or video of anyplace let me know. I went to Deere for the new belt on my 2010 with 42C deck - part number M15462. I know there are many belts including improved ones, went to Deere just to be sure I got the right and newest one.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My x500 starts the deck at idle, usually not even a squeak from the belt. My neighbor starts his at full throttle and it really squeals a lot. Just can't do that to mine.

Some decks are picky about the pulley alignment especially if you raise and lower it a lot during mowing. I leave mine just at the cutting height, but then I don't have a lot of rough ground either.
I have a Craftsman 46" deck that when raised, there is a hanger that rubs on the belt. I've managed to re engineer the hanger to provide clearance from the belt at any position. Be sure to observe the belt and pulley alignment at all positions. Do that with the machine shut down for safety.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 2007 X300 with the 42 Edge eXtra deck. I replaced the original belt a few years ago when I replaced all the spindles (they were loose and the bolts broke when i tried loosening, or tightening them). I replaced the belt just because it was old. I replaced it with an aftermarket one, which lasted a year or two. The next one, also aftermarket, lasted all of ten hours. I still had the original belt, so I put it back on. It is still working fine.

I mostly mow with the deck all the way up and it has always worked fine for me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am an engineer. I have an X300 that breaks belts. I have researched every tech article on the subject. I have replaced the mechanical pieces with Deere parts, I am aware of an issue with a lifting bolt hitting the belt. I finally suspect an improper dealer setup! there are two adjustments to the U device that connects to the front axle. The "keeper" bolts were never tightened! I cannot locate a true description of how to adjust the length of this assembly that affects the belt tension. NOT the front deck lift adjustment! Also, what is the correct belt tension? I have the tools for all. This is a very common issue with 2 blade decks. As an engineer, I am sorry I bought this.
The "U device" does not affect belt tension. It sets the front height of the deck. Belt tension comes from the smaller spring-loaded pivoting rear pulley.

We'll need to know exactly which mechanical pieces were replaced with Deere parts. e.g., did you replace all bearings in both spindle assemblies?

A youtube video for reference if needed:

·
Rich
413 Posts
In that video on removing the 42 deck - couple things wrong.
1. Release the belt tension by using a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar into the arm square hole - not pliers. I always take the belt off first then the hanger rods
On some models there is a bar attached to the tension arm to pull on. Called the "Tension release handle"
2.You do not need to remove the front "U' shaped hanger rod, the deck can easily slide forward to release that hanger.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In that video on removing the 42 deck - couple things wrong.
1. Release the belt tension by using a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar into the arm square hole - not pliers. I always take the belt off first then the hanger rods
On some models there is a bar attached to the tension arm to pull on. Called the "Tension release handle"
2.You do not need to remove the front "U' shaped hanger rod, the deck can easily slide forward to release that hanger.
Agree with your comments. I needed a visual reference and it was the first link in a search.

But let's stay on topic with the belt breakage the OP is trying to mitigate. Which mechanical pieces were replaced with Deere parts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts