My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my deck belt and a couple deck idlers about 3 hours run time ago. Started mowing today and smelled a funny smell, thought a belt but checked them both and seemed fine. Ran normal and cut grass for 1 hour with no problems. Pulling into the garage I found this half of a plastic disk that was burned in half and some clumps of melted plastic. I know it is from the X300. No idea of where it came from? It is about 3.5 inches in diameter and a lip around the inside edge. Anyone have an idea of where from or what it is?
DSC03942.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Probably a plastic idler pulley. Bearing seizes, pulley doesn't rotate but belt keeps running and melts the pulley.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thought but no plastic pulleys on the X300 deck. No plastic on K46 either. May pull deck and look over

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sure looks like Urquells" pulley photo. Is there a drive belt idler?

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black so not cooling fan, Will pull deck and check drive belt pulleys tomorrow. Idlers look like plastic in parts diagram.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If that's a drive (trans) belt idler, which it probably is, then I'm surprised the tractor even moved!

One Spring I went to use my LA140 and it wouldn't move under its own power. After making sure the freewheel release lever was pushed in (that's thing #1 to check in that situation), I discovered that it had a seized drive belt idler.

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removed deck and found the rear drive belt idler fried. Just got a new and and replacing right now. Drive belt looks OK even after mowing for an hour with bad idler. Pictures later

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok all fixed - changed the bad rear idler. Bearing still moved?? But had also bought the front idler but was having a tough time getting the belt off for that one and it looked and felt good so I left it on. Belt looked good and only 10 years old:) Pictures
Thanks all.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
309 Posts
that belt has a lot of plastic residue on in now though. It probably slips a little bit under load

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What you see in the picture is pieces of the melted plastic stuck to the belt. It popped off easily and belt looks great. Deere store is 15 minutes away:)

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Glad you got it going. Mow on duder.

·
Rich
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that belt has a lot of plastic residue on in now though. It probably slips a little bit under load
The flat, wide side of the belt took all the abrasion so should not cause any slipping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts