My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have accumulated a few "real" garden tractors recently; I mean as in better than toilet paper frames, cast iron engines, all American made, back when pride meant something, even the "big box" ones I have (Sears/ pre AYP Roper) were quite durable back then. better than some marketed as "commercial" these days.

I have decided to concentrate on 2 of them for restoration/rebuild projects; not to show, but to USE; and not be embarrased to have out as in rust, 4 coats of various colored peeling paint etc; plan on taking whichever one I decide on, down to bare metal (via sandblaster) and using an automotive type--industrial paint on to refinish; but ultimately will wind up with just 1 as my "keeper"; but at this point am unsure which one.

Both I am considering I'm gonna have to do major engine work to; 314 runs but smokes BAD; Ariens I'll have to find a new block for; balance gear decided to "leave the block" but rod/crank still intact; but if I wind up with a durable machine that lasts a LONG time once done it'll have been worth it.

goals; I hate re do's (eventually having to redo again years down the road is 1 thing; having to re-replace something in 6 months is another.

easy access to parts/attatchments

have something that will outlast a new "big box" machine available today and be able to get parts for years to come even if I spend "about that much" to re do whichever one I decide upon

something durable enough to not twist/crack a frame if I put a PTO tiller, a snow blower or blade, any 3 point attatchments I may find that work with said tractor; I am on disability and can't run a walk behind tiller anymore due to a bum right leg; shouldn't be doing the snow blower either; want a tractor that can take the abuse rather than my body for years to come

Ariens has a huge snow blade and a rear PTO mount tiller; deck nothing to write home about; would probably keep my eye out for a replacement (at least the "shell") at farm sales, etc;
JD body pieces "all there" but hood needs fiberglass work
Ariens missing fiberglass fender "pan" but I have leads on a few; rest of tractor decent shape

Ariens has shaft drive deck and rear PTO; I've seen snow blowers on Ebay likewise; JD has elec lift for deck and elec PTO for deck;

Decks and blade (I guess) from my 214 will fit the 314 but not snowblower; have no tiller, etc for that one, like the Ariens;

So being that both of these are hydro, both need major engine work (I can do, other than boring/crank cutting) have good decks and snow blade for one but a good blade and tiller for the other, which one should I redo for my "keeper"? I am not against finding "good-used" engines for either or a new shortblock/miniblock; IF I can do so for about 1/2 of retail or less (there have been a couple 14 HP ones on Ebay lately for $500; the last kohler I did (M8) I put ~$400 into rebuilding; not bad considering Kohler wants $1K for a complete new one of those. but if I wind up with $400 in a K 321 or 341 and can find a new mini for $500 (for one--I am not going that route on both) that may be the way to go.
I do not have to be in a hurry for either one; being on disability, I can work on it/them on my "good" (pain free/low pain) days, to keep my sanity; and run my JD 214 in the meantime; otherwise I'll look for a good used motor to put onto it and run it; I do not know yet what I will do with whichever one ends up as the "other" tractor yet.

let's forget about the engines for a minute; which will be easier to get tractor specific parts a few years down the road?

I am leaning toward the 314 since I know a few "JD people" that I can get parts from/leads on accessories; but I don't see a whole lotta Ariens machines around; I don't like the "cookie cutter" approach; "keep up with the Joneses" or "yeah; I have one JUST LIKE YOURS"; so on that front and the shaft drive PTO stuff, and the accessories the Ariens already, has makes that one the tractor I should "key" on.
Any thoughts here, guys??? Replacing the engines with Hondas or other offshore JUNK is just NOT gonna happen!!! if I wind up repowering with other than another K series it'll have to be another Kohler, maybe a Briggs. but I'd rather rebuild.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I would go with the JD because of the parts and not sure about being able to get parts for the Ariens. Both are well built tractors. Do your leg work first by calling and seeing if you can get Ariens parts and what would be interchangable. Good luck to you. slkpk

·
Definitely the 314.

Do a search on this site or WFM for both machines
and see what comes up. Now if your getting it
extremely cheap (0-$100) that's a different story.
As for what it's worth once your done, it's the 314
hands down.

Later
Steve

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got them both cheap (free!) with attatchments that I listed for each, included as well; I originally bought the 214 a year ago; was given the 314 by a local JD fanatic, as he'd recently picked it up and had not yet checked it out to see how"good" it is; I did that. I had asked him about a larger deck for my 214 and 1st he was gonna pop the one off the 314 (42" I believe) but in the time it took me to take teh Jeep home and get my truck, he changed his mind and gave me the whole thing. that 42" deck is missing some of the small parts that I know would nickel and dime me from JD; (luckily the JD guy said "remember we have gobs of parts") I went to a tractor show over the weekend and got me a 48" deck (newer version, with the 4 gauge wheels and the center roller) for $75; no non factory welding, (don't need any either) good shape not beat up just needs blades and a belt.
there's a local guy that advertises on Ebay all the time that has a warehouse of used tractor parts that has one of these same decks listed on Ebay for $349 as we speak (he must have gotten a good batch of wacky weed when he listed that one for sale to think it is worth that)

I figure the 314 would be the better machine for the 48" deck with being hydro and all. Probably eventually redo (paint) the 42 and put onto the 214.
Sounds like you guys have some experience with the Ariens; what is so bad about them?

As for the model of the Ariens, it is an S-16H; I have seen these (on Ebay and elsewhere) as an S 14 and an S 18 as well; same machine with different HP ratings.

and WVDeere; WFM? Huh?

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being on disability with a bum rt leg (shattered kneecap in '90, I have 1/3 of a kneecap) and the chain saw kickback in my own front yard in Sept '07 that dang near cost me my right foot, (plenty of metal in that shin bone now!) that's why I need a good tractor to take the beating instead of me;
I was 22 when I blew the knee; 40 when the chain saw got me; I know, 2 different injuries but I sure "bounced back" easier with the knee than the ankle! and the years between the 2 injuries have been rough on that knee in between.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK; an update (maybe) decision still about mud-clear; I just found another one like my Ariens; don't currently run; but "all there" and its engine is not blown; and a good deck (which this one I have lacks; there's a deck, but....) and not $800 either, like the non runner I watched on Ebay sell for last year; I already have the tiller and snow blade for an Ariens; I am thinking heavily about makin' an offer on this other machine; it may be the cheapest way out; and still wind up with a good tractor when all is said and done;

Can those that said something about "not giving the time of day" for an Ariens, please expand on that thought? Most I see, seem well built compared to big-box; what is so bad about them? Both machines have K series Kohlers; nothing different there; but what about the tractors themselves?
I've worked on several Ariens machines over the years; always the engines, though; maybe an occasional belt otherwise.
I may be able to keep them both; IF my JD 214, my Roper and the kid's Roper go bye bye; (but that won't happen til I get one or the other of the 2 that I am debating on, going) I don't anticipate that happening before winter; and I need something to move snow for sure; can't let it all go and have nothing in the meantime either.
on the ariens if this guy accepts my offer I'd be set for parts on it as far as spare hydro, dash electrics, hood grille, etc; (my current one, then being the parts donor if any are needed)
If I were to sell the JD as is, I've seen them bring surprising money, even not running;
I'm not looking to get greedy here in the least, no I'm not one that thinks these are gold-clad (like some peoople) but I gotta "fund" this project by selling off the "extras" I have. being on disability is no fun.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,265 Posts
OK; an update (maybe) decision still about mud-clear; I just found another one like my Ariens; don't currently run; but "all there" and its engine is not blown; and a good deck (which this one I have lacks; there's a deck, but....) and not $800 either, like the non runner I watched on Ebay sell for last year; I already have the tiller and snow blade for an Ariens; I am thinking heavily about makin' an offer on this other machine; it may be the cheapest way out; and still wind up with a good tractor when all is said and done;

Can those that said something about "not giving the time of day" for an Ariens, please expand on that thought? Most I see, seem well built compared to big-box; what is so bad about them? Both machines have K series Kohlers; nothing different there; but what about the tractors themselves?
I've worked on several Ariens machines over the years; always the engines, though; maybe an occasional belt otherwise.
I may be able to keep them both; IF my JD 214, my Roper and the kid's Roper go bye bye; (but that won't happen til I get one or the other of the 2 that I am debating on, going) I don't anticipate that happening before winter; and I need something to move snow for sure; can't let it all go and have nothing in the meantime either.
on the ariens if this guy accepts my offer I'd be set for parts on it as far as spare hydro, dash electrics, hood grille, etc; (my current one, then being the parts donor if any are needed)
If I were to sell the JD as is, I've seen them bring surprising money, even not running;
I'm not looking to get greedy here in the least, no I'm not one that thinks these are gold-clad (like some peoople) but I gotta "fund" this project by selling off the "extras" I have. being on disability is no fun.
From all the 100's of tractors I've had in my lifetime the Ariens was the worst made and the hardest to work on peice of junk ever made...
Just my $0.02...

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From all the 100's of tractors I've had in my lifetime the Ariens was the worst made and the hardest to work on peice of junk ever made...
Just my $0.02...
REALLY? My exp with them is mostly engine related; tillers snow blowers, mowers, etc; rarely the implement itself. though most that I have had to work on over the years would now definitely be consider "older" machines; when most everybody was more interested in building stuff to last, rather than the "cheapest way possible" like these days.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I am surprised that I didn't respond to this one sooner. I thought I had.... anyhow, because of the attachments you already have, I'd say keep the Ariens and sell the Deere. Setting up a Deere 314 for a tiller requires buying the tiller (approx. $400 used) and the rear PTO (approx $450) and maybe the lift rod if it doesn't come with the tiller (another $50 to $100) so roughly $1000 to get into tilling. Your Deere 214 can be set up to till for about $300. The Ariens you have already has the tiller and a deck will be easier to find than the tiller. As to getting tractor specific parts? I don't know how well Ariens is supporting their stuff. Deere used to be legendary with parts support, but I see a fair amount of stuff now a days marked NLA on Deere parts.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I got sniped with a whole f**king 9 SECONDS left on Ebay(why do people have to stoop so **** low) so no 2nd Ariens; but again; I don't have to be in a hurry on this and I spotted an S 14 thats all there but a deck in a pile of tractors in the weeds; stopprd by and the woman said I'd have to come by when the "old man" was there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts