My Tractor Forum banner

Deere questions? D160+D170 or used

1489 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  snowplowdog1288
Hello! Starting my search for possible a new tractor. 1 acre lot, flat terrain. Pondering new vs used.

Will use to mow (want big deck) and haul a cart around a few times a year for mulching. Also bag leaves in fall..

A few of the tractors I have been considering:

New
John Deere D160 (48" deck)
John Deere D170 (54" deck)
Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP 50
Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP 54
With new, I would be buying a car, bagger, mulching kit, and possible snow plow

Used:

What models JD do you suggest, if used want hydro and atleast 48" deck. Like to say under $1,500

Also looking for used Simplicities (used to have one)

New X300 is more than I am willing to spend. If I determine I need a tractor that nice, I will go used route.

Can anyone chime in on cutting ability of the D160 and D170, that is what my primary question is. Also, how has your durability been?

Thanks!
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
its really your choice, but there is not a single tractor on your list that would be recommended for pushing any type of snow, including the x300.

snowplowing is more wear and tear then you could ever get from mowing the side of a mountain
More I've been thinking about a plow, the less likely it is I will buy one. Probably buy a snow thrower instead.

Thoughts on D160 or D170? They up for task? How's quality of cut? JD guys chime in, I know the cut of Simplicity is beautiful
I have little experience with newer stuff, but others can help. Good luck.
I don't think there are too many people on this site that would recommend the D series in general... For $1500 I would start shopping for a used 318 or something similar.

Note: I often don't know what I am talking about though so don't take what I say as the gospel... ;)
The D160 or 170 are fine for mowing. I would also look at the S240, the major difference is the engine, Kawasaki versus Briggs. I would stay away from the Troy Built. I was looking last year and ended up purchasing an X300, when Deere was running the $500 off. They will probably start running these specials again shortly. The X300 and the D170 and 160 both have the same hydro. I know alot of people that run the D series and they seem to hold up well if taken care of and used what they were intended for.

Alot of people will push to buy an older machine because they are better built than most of today's current stuff. I had an older machine and while it was heavy duty it was 25yrs old and always had something that needed repair. I just did not have time to mess with it anymore. I wanted a new one. My X300 with 47 hours works great, mows/mulches good and no issues so far.
See less See more
I don't know much about the d series, or the x series for that matter, but I do know that if you push them, or any tractor, to do more than what they were designed for it will succumb to an early demise.

I will be one of those to suggest used since you can get more tractor for less $$$ but you have to be willing to do more maintenance and repairs than if you bought a new machine.

Just an example, I have a 312 & 317 with all the toys (blower, plow, tiller, cab) for approximately what you are looking to invest in one machine. I honestly have more tractor than I'll ever need and should be able to do anything around my property without fear of exceeding the limits of wither tractor.

On the flip side, the 317 came to me in pieces and needed a complete repaint and a lot of elbow grease to get it back together. Not to mention just yesterday I was cutting the grass with my 312 when the RPM's went down to idle & I couldn't get it to run any faster than that. Turned out to be a broken governor spring that I was able to rig so I could finish the lawn but things like that could happen any time when you have an older machine. Even the newest 318 is approaching 25 years old so these are the types of things that would have to be dealt with.

If you don't mind wrenching on an older unit, by all means go used. If doing repairs is not for you, definitely go new, or at least newer. There are are many tractors out there that are only a few years old and can save you quite a bit of cash over buying new while still being very reliable.
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.