My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called one of the Deere dealers within my area to do some over the phone shopping and get a quote on the X300 Less deck with a 44" snowblower and lift spring kit, that I have been discussing on this forum with you guys. He came back to me with $4,754.00. In shock I was about to ask why when he first asked me why I wanted an X300 for just snowblowing. He proceeded to tell me that the X300 was never made for snow blowing and that I need to be purchasing the X320 with a blower for $5,644.00 (I calculated it using deere's site). Blah blah I hung up the phone in a little bit of shock and a little upset since my price range was around 4,000. Thats when immediately I said ***?! Stladrill loves his X300 and so do several other users on here! I know Stladrill has the K66Y transmission, but c'mon, I feel like the dealer was trying to play games here and get more money out of me. He said the $4,754 price was the machine the blower the lift spring kit and set up fees. According to Deere's site, there are no "set up fees" on ride on mowers. I feel like I was "played" on the phone and should contact my local dealer about the X300 who said it was a fine machine. The dealer I called is about 30mins as compared to the one who told me it was a fine choice is 10 mins down the road.... something's fishy 30 mins from me I think... suggestions and criticism please! :thanku:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
Suggestion #1. Go back to the guy that's 10 minutes away.
Suggestion #2. I don't know how much snow you need to move, but I would surely think the X300 would handle the typical suburban driveway that's typically 100 feet long and 12 feet wide with an extra parking pad at the house end.
Suggestion #3. Set up fees are at the discretion off the dealer, but its something I haven't run into myself.
Suggestion #4. The X300 does not have the strongest tranny in the 300 series, but blowing snow is a lot less stressful than plowing it. You won't be banging into the pile at the end of the driveway at full speed in frustration of not being able to move it, you will be easing into it to feed the blower .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick response, I completely agree with you. I didn't plan on buying from the 30 min away dealer, but I was curious about pricing and a quote... he most definetly will not be getting my business lol. And the driveways are only 14ft x 30ft, some a little longer, some even smaller! I think with due regard, the X300 will get the job done, and Ill leave the slamming into snow and pushing it with the F250 TurboDiesel.

PS. My average snow fall is 6-8inches with the monster storm of this year being 17inches.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
You should be fine with the X300 and blower. I would suggest some wheel weights and chains. slkpk

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I second going to the dealer 10 minutes away. Re the " free setup " that Deere talks about - could that be for the X300 with a mower deck ? The snowblower is more work to setup. Just wondering.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not too sure, I'm sure it's a little more work but its not 300 worth of work. And yes weights and chains weights and chains! I get very annoyed when people try and take advantage of me because of my age.... tisk tisk, they shoulda known better I'd be talking to my buddies on MTF so HA!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I understand your frustration with the dealer, but you have to understand his point of view. The sales guy is going to try and make max dollar and since you called him on the phone he is probably figuring he will just put out a max price or recommend a higher priced model and see if you bite. These guys aren't any different than a car salesman, they will try and steer you towards a higher priced model. It's up to you to stick to your guns.

If you are a novice buyer and take his deal, well than that's on you. Since you are trying to be a smart shopper by researching the product and what it really costs, then the offending dealer is probably going to lose a sale, unless you decide to lay all of your information on him to let him know you are not a fool. If you do that, then you will see how much the guy wants to make a sale, and maybe he will cut you a deal that's better than the dealer closer to you.

Negotiating over the phone is not the best method from what I have found over the years. Being right there tends to make folks want to make a deal. You have to remember dealers have to make some money on every sale or what's the purpose of being in business? It's up to you to make sure they don't make their yearly profit just from your sale. At this point, it's good of you to take a pass on this guy since your local dealer will give you a better deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking used machine! Unfortunately Im 7 hours from it :comp26: I'm in florida for college so I was just calling dealers to see what they'd quote me back home. down here I got 3,995 for the X300 and Blower, so I know what I should be paying and 47XX isnt it lol. thanks for the responses guys!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Mean Green- A month or so ago you had said you wanted to do this. I had asked if you had considered a larger walk behind for doing a lot of small driveways as a sidejob. Understandibly you were a bit disenchanted with my input. No doubt snowblowing is WAY more fun when you`re riding instead of walking.

Perhaps the dealer is concerned that the X300 will not stand up to what amounts to commmercial use. The K46 transaxle is suitable for one average, flat driveway, but cleaning out several or more driveways per storm is asking for trouble. And if you take an X300 back to the dealer with transaxle trouble after one winter, they may well look at the hour meter and start asking questions. Warrantys have plenty of fine print regarding reasonable wear and tear. Although the X320 is stretching the budget, it is a better choice for your intended useage.

I have an X300. It`s a fine LT, but I`m not sure how long the transaxle would stand up if it was being used for half to all day sessions of clearing snow. Good luck and I hope that you come up the best possible option for your needs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for your input mikgran! Im constantly contemplating my options, I'll let you know my final decision when the time comes, Ill be back up in NY in November and Ill give you guys an update!

:thanku:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Mean Green- A month or so ago you had said you wanted to do this. I had asked if you had considered a larger walk behind for doing a lot of small driveways as a sidejob. Understandibly you were a bit disenchanted with my input. No doubt snowblowing is WAY more fun when you`re riding instead of walking.

Perhaps the dealer is concerned that the X300 will not stand up to what amounts to commmercial use. The K46 transaxle is suitable for one average, flat driveway, but cleaning out several or more driveways per storm is asking for trouble. And if you take an X300 back to the dealer with transaxle trouble after one winter, they may well look at the hour meter and start asking questions. Warrantys have plenty of fine print regarding reasonable wear and tear. Although the X320 is stretching the budget, it is a better choice for your intended useage.

I have an X300. It`s a fine LT, but I`m not sure how long the transaxle would stand up if it was being used for half to all day sessions of clearing snow. Good luck and I hope that you come up the best possible option for your needs.
I would have to agree. I think the dealer was just trying to help you out by suggesting the X320. I had a X300 and got 85 hours out of the trans. Just trying to save you some headaches down the road.:fing32:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
I forgot that you were looking to do several customers with this machine. In that case, I'd surely be looking at the larger machine. I was assuming you were just doing your own driveway and possibly sidewalk.
Reason #1. When you have made a commitment to several customers to clear snow for them, you DON'T want a piece of equipment that can't handle the job.
Reason #2. Lets say you can rack up 100 hours of use in the winter, that is a lot on the K-46 tranny, and I can see repairs or costs to upgrade exceeding the cost difference up front of the X320.
Suggestion: If the budget won't stretch to the X320, then I'd strongly recommend getting a pro model walk behind snowblower, and would be looking at Honda, Ariens and Simplicity with the idea that a machine like that will raise the money for a tractor in the near future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WAIT A MINUTE: What is a "California Model?" Deere dealer down here in Florida told me since I have no interest in having a deck, they would be willing to order me a California model X320 with blower. I just used Deere's payment estimator, and its worth the extra 15-20 a month definetly, but is there anything to worry about with a california model or its just a fancy hippy way of saying its got clean emissions?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE: What is a "California Model?" Deere dealer down here in Florida told me since I have no interest in having a deck, they would be willing to order me a California model X320 with blower. I just used Deere's payment estimator, and its worth the extra 15-20 a month definetly, but is there anything to worry about with a california model or its just a fancy hippy way of saying its got clean emissions?
As far as I know, the only difference is the emissions. Why would he want to order you a California model? There shouldn't be a price difference.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
As far as I know, the only difference is the emissions. Why would he want to order you a California model? There shouldn't be a price difference.
As Far as I Know it's Just a Spark arrester muffler screen for the California Models:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I think the California is the only way to get an X320 "less deck". The other 49-state ones all have decks. Unlike the old days, JD no longer offers every model with a less deck option.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
As Far as I Know it's Just a Spark arrester muffler screen for the California Models:thThumbsU
That could be the case now but they used to have stricter emissions standards. The changes to the national standards could have been based on CA's so that is no longer the case. :trink39:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts